Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best entry-level Modern Sporting Rifle?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I would look at the Ruger AR-5.56 and specifically the one with the Magpul furniture. Model #8515. All you need to add to this gun is a Sling and a Red Dot Sight and you are good to go.

https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

What you will end up with looks exactly like mine, except mine as a Bushmaster Carbon 15 that weighs less than 6 lbs. But this is the set up you are looking for.

Randy
    Nice looking carbine. Fixed mag? I've often thought that if I had to build one of those I would enlarge the ejection port so I could manually top off the mag instead of splitting the rifle every time.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Nice looking carbine. Fixed mag? I've often thought that if I had to build one of those I would enlarge the ejection port so I could manually top off the mag instead of splitting the rifle every time.
    I do not think that Ruger makes a fixed mag model and the one in the photo does not look fixed mag.

For New Jersey, buying a lower and permanently installing a magazine seems to be an option around the AWB.

https://crossarmory.com/shop/ar-fixe...kit-for-ar-15/ is one option. I have no idea how one would legally buy a lower and convert it to a non-removable magazine version. It would probably be best to talk to a LGS FFL about your options. They may be able to get a lower or gun & do the permanent magazine installation for you. https://www.righttobear.com/ar-15-compmag-gen-3/ also looked interesting. It seems you pull a knob down & lock in a lowered position and then load rounds in through the side.

For a matching upper, a larger opening sounds handy. The BCA right side charging or BCA dual charging provide bigger openings.
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/223...e.html#reviews
    Last edited by P Flados; 01-11-2023 at 04:09 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    ....a decent-quality 'starter.'

I would go with something a little better than the standard stock and handguard,
    nitride over phosphate and mid-length gas over carbine gas....

This one is a Daily Deal today for $370 plus tax and shipping:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516444601.html

Boolit Master

If you know you will be upgrading, trigger, BCG, buttstock, forend, adjustable gas block, etc. then just buy your parts and build it yourself or have a buddy help.

Take off milspec or entry level parts are not worth anything on the secondary market. Can't hardly give them away.

Build it the way you want it.

''Modern Sporting Rifle''. To me that means not a short barrel carbine, but a standard AR-15 platform with a 20'' barrel and fixed standard M-16A1 type stock. They're out there I guess, but seems these days most people want a short barrel carbine and telescoping stock.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I recommend checking out https://palmettostatearmory.com/ and https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/.

I like the idea of going with a "Generic" platform. For entry level, generic platforms do just as good (including function, reliability & accuracy) as anything from a name brand company. The two outfits above sell a lot of guns and have track records of pretty good quality packages for standard AR-15 type guns. The money you save on the gun will cover the cost of a decent optic.
    I would not recommend any uppers from bear creek. it is about 50-50 in my experience even when stamped 5.56 that they will not accept 5.56 ammo due to insufficient head. In two cases a new bolt fixed the headspace issue and in the other case the fellow sent the receiver back to get a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    ''Modern Sporting Rifle''. To me that means not a short barrel carbine, but a standard AR-15 platform with a 20'' barrel and fixed standard M-16A1 type stock. They're out there I guess, but seems these days most people want a short barrel carbine and telescoping stock.
    My first one was an Anderson M16A4 clone and I still have it. My Ruger carbine is more handy when hiking or out on the tractor though. I bought it used with a lot of cosmetic wear so I don't care if it gets scratched.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Gave my Ruger some exercise today and she runs like a champ with great accuracy. My favorite AR carbine for sure!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Out of curiosity, are AR's even legal where you are at? From what I understand, a legal AR in a ban state is pretty much a DIY affair.
    They are, you just have to comply with a handful of ridiculous limitations, like non- adjustable stock, no bayonet lug, max 10 round mag...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I would look at the Ruger AR-5.56 and specifically the one with the Magpul furniture. Model #8515. All you need to add to this gun is a Sling and a Red Dot Sight and you are good to go.

https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

What you will end up with looks exactly like mine, except mine as a Bushmaster Carbon 15 that weighs less than 6 lbs. But this is the set up you are looking for.

Randy
    Nice!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the comments, I'd been looking at PSA and Ruger but don't know anyone who actually owned either. And yes, this would likely be 5.56

Boolit Master

Doing armorer work for work guns and occasionally test firing evidence guns, I've seen what occasionally comes from the cheaper or home-built end of the AR spectrum. As such, I lean a little more to the "buy once, cry once" methodology.

FN has been a military provider for a long time and as such has learned to build to the "pass regular spot inspections or lose your lucrative GI contract" standard, and they are coming in a little cheaper than the comparable Colts.

The Springfield Saints have been excellent guns in the sub-grand ballpark.

The big decision to make is between military fixed front sight tower or tube handguard with folding sights for optics as your primary. After that, it's pretty much all furniture swaps.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Doing armorer work for work guns and occasionally test firing evidence guns, I've seen what occasionally comes from the cheaper or home-built end of the AR spectrum. As such, I lean a little more to the "buy once, cry once" methodology.

FN has been a military provider for a long time and as such has learned to build to the "pass regular spot inspections or lose your lucrative GI contract" standard, and they are coming in a little cheaper than the comparable Colts.

The Springfield Saints have been excellent guns in the sub-grand ballpark.

The big decision to make is between military fixed front sight tower or tube handguard with folding sights for optics as your primary. After that, it's pretty much all furniture swaps.
    Thanks. I can't disagree with any of that.

We get various off brand AR's in at my shop. Brand new and unfired they don't look bad but I have to wonder how they would actually hold up with heavy use and what their defect rate is compared to name brands. All of them are carbine with no sights and free float tube hand guards so I won't be buying any.

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago a guy on YouTube put various uppers on a full-auto lower and fired mag after mag as fast as possible...a "test to destruction."

That may qualify as "Heavy Use"

Some may find the series interesting, there are quite a few tests. Here is one of a PSA upper with polymer hand guard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cr9e3N6HEw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12