RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Bench technique - big bore heavy hitters

Bench technique - big bore heavy hitters

Things I've forgotten are just starting to come back to me. I am realizing now I had some setup that worked in terms of bench rests and technique, keeping muzzle flip and rifle jumping to a minimum - but I can't remember what it was. I do know before I got it, I got walloped and my groups were hopeless. Not because of the load or rifle, but (it's an "of course"), myself.

Before:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70 bruise.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	308980

Eventually, and I think I recall hugging the butt in tighter and making sure I wasn't leaning in too much, thing smoothed up, I actually had no problem with the above picasso paintings, and groups got on well. Problem is I can't recall what I did. I used no sled, or tripod. I think I had some combination of the Caldwell front and rear bag combo, maybe the Protektor, some DIY bag or bags under both front and back; and I can't recall if I held on to the forestock and let my hand rest on the front bag, or just my right hand on the rear stock and using my left hand squeezing the rear bag/sock whatever it was, for easy elevation.

Dumb question, but what do you guys do, when dealing with heavy kickers at the bench for development or sighting-in purposes? Keeping it cheap?
    -Paul

With my .45-70, it is debatable which end is more dangerous than the other.

To minimize the felt recoil, you can wear a heavy coat, or 'borrow' a kitchen hot pad and sew it on the inside of a jacket.
    Don't put it on the outside or everybody will think you're a wimp.

The other thing is to pull it into your shoulder as tight as is practical.
    That may be why so many rifles have the curved pistol grip handle design instead of the straight stock.
    You can grip the pistol grip style better and pull it in tighter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    With my .45-70, it is debatable which end is more dangerous than the other.

To minimize the felt recoil, you can wear a heavy coat, or 'borrow' a kitchen hot pad and sew it on the inside of a jacket.
    Don't put it on the outside or everybody will think you're a wimp.

The other thing is to pull it into your shoulder as tight as is practical.
    That may be why so many rifles have the curved pistol grip handle design instead of the straight stock.
    You can grip the pistol grip style better and pull it in tighter.
    Thanks Ed. It killed me until I realized I had been giving too much "play" and it was like a sledge hammer with some free rein. I'll work on that, likely tomorrow. Good note.

In terms of trying to reduce my own shooter error, I think I remember now somehow the Caldwell front was too low, and I ended up putting some kind of DIY bag on it to bring the rifle to level (the added bag was also softer/less filled). My left hand didn't touch the rifle and I just squeezed some sort of rear bag for minute elevation settlement. Either way, it's coming back to me that the only way things started to go well was when the rifle was basically bullseyed with as little of my intervention needed as possible.

Do you bench-shoot with your hands like this - left hand on a bag or under right armpit or something, or do you use your left hand under forestock, as per normal shooting?
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    your left hand under forestock, as per normal shooting?
    I'm left handed, and hold under the front of the stock just behind where a sling swivel would be with my right.
    That also helps me pull the rifle into my shoulder.

That works for me, and is how I was taught in the Service.
    However; I haven't won any national big bore rifle matches either.
    There is a bunch of folks here that are WAY!!! WAY!! more qualified than I am to give that kind of advice.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-08-2023 at 03:17 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

there are more conventional solutions, however the fun begins when you attempt sighting a normal eye relief rifle scope sitting from the bench
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t forget you can use a recoil type butt plate, like a lot of shotguns have. They used to sell a boot type that would slip over the end of the stock, if you don’t want to modify the stock.

Boolit Master
    If you have your own range ?
    I made a standing bench - deck height is about the bottom of my ribcage when standing upright - adjustable rest sits on there. I shoot just as well off it as I ever could sitting at a proper benchrest - fell recoil much less.
    no can do if you limited to a public range......................

Boolit Buddy
    Shooting from the bench I shoulder the gun normally with my left hand under the forend and my left hand resting on the rifle rest. This, to me simulates field hunting conditions. I usually hold the rifle butt snug but not tight, if I hold too tight the muzzle seems to wander. I have used a slip on limbsaver recoil pad in the past..
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

I own a H&R Handi rile in .444marlin. In 5 years I have yet to fire a single full power or factory loaded round in it. I know better.

Mostly what I shoot is moderate .44mag loads loaded in .444marlin brass. 6 or 6.5 grains of Red Dot below a 220 to 240 gr cast boolit, no gas check as these are slow.

Can shoot them all afternoon long and not get a shoulder like you posted.

But it does depend on what you need/expect out of those rounds.

But I am not a glutton for pain.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Tuck her in nice and tight, lean slightly forward and have fun. Still love my Marlin 45/70; first lever and she still puts a ear to ear grin on me.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on what Ghosthawk said. I've shot 2 (slow learner) factory loads out of my handi 35w. Back to the topic, other than the stand up bench mentioned
    . Make sure you're sitting up as straight as possible. That let's your upper body move with the recoil. It also gets you as far away from the scope as possible. Oh, and I also fold up a hand towel and put it between my shoulder and the butt of the rifle.
    Siamese4570

Off the bench I used a piece of a foam kneeling cushion one would use when working in the garden. My 444 is a little unpleasant to shoot off the bench. Not a problem when hunting, especially with heavy clothing.

FWIW, I always shoot rifles with two-piece stocks differently that those with one-piece stocks.

Rule #1: Never let any portion of the rifle's wood or metal parts touch anything except my body.

2) Hold the forearm firmly with the non-trigger hand between the forearm on the front rear, pulling down and towards the butt.

3) With the trigger hand, I hold the stock wrist firmly, also pulling the butt hard, straight back into my shoulder - no rear rest.

4) Ensure that the toe of the buttstock isn't touching the bench top.

The above lets my body move back with the rifle's recoil, lowering the felt recoil.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I made the mistake of benching a .458 Winchester African Model 70 for a friend who was afraid of its recoil and just wanted if for display as he would never get to Africa on his salary. That thing beat me to death(almost) from a bench rest. But I did get the job done and even with its recoil pad and a Pachmar strap on shoulder pad, it left a good sized bruise on my shoulder before I was done. I boxed one season on a Boys club boxing team and I never got belted around as much as that rifle did to me. If I ever shoot a .458 again, it will be off hand and not on a bench with a simple fore end rest. my experience with heavy hitters anyway. james

Boolit Master
    I have a sand bag made from a leg from a wore out set of blue geans. It's filled with rice instead of sand so it's a lot lighter. I put the bag between my shoulder and the butt of the rifle. Takes the bite out of my 416 Rem and the 400gr bullets at almost 2500 fps when sighting from a bench.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Made a DIY sock for the top of the Caldwell front rest and used an old cushion stuffed with buckwheat holes for the rear. I found the best response was to hold the rifle as per normal, with my left hand resting on top of the front rest/sock and my right elbow resting on the bench, with the rear cushion giving just a bit of inner elbow support for steadiness. Much better to have the rifle raised higher generally, and I could sit more erect.

At 33.0 grains 4198, total pleasure to shoot and I found no padding needed between stock and shoulder - just a few layers as it was brisk (18-22F), plus my hunting jacket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33.0 grains IMR 4198.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	309002

Pretty happy with the trip today. Love this gun. Now, I'd love to find a way to use the Skinner, which I've been itching to get back into. Hopefully corrective hunting glasses will give me that chance.

Much appreciated.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Having been hurt more than once I now use a lead sled. I'm glad I had it when testing a 416-500.

Boolit Master
    I own and shoot several big bore rifles suitable for dangerous game. While shooting them from the bench I want my back as straight up and down as I can get it. That way I can give with the recoil. I do hold the forearm firmly with my left hand and rest that hand on the rifle rest. That is the proper hold for a double rifle but I also do it with the bolt guns. You do want a firm grip with both hands. My son caught his 416 Rigby in the air after it got away from a friend that fired it. I do use a strap-on recoil pad and pull the butt in tight. I don't own a lead sled as I'm afraid the recoil might break the stock at the wrist on a double. Shooting hard recoiling rifles takes conditioning. Conditioning can be started by not shooting long strings and by using reduced loads and then working up to full power loads. I've said for years I was going to build a standing rest but haven't gotten around to doing it. At my age and no more shooting than I do I don't suppose I'll ever get around to it.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    I read the old British double gun makers shot off a bench from a standing position. They had to be accurate when regulating the barrels. I shoot my 375 Ruger standing from a bipod.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I own and shoot several big bore rifles suitable for dangerous game. While shooting them from the bench I want my back as straight up and down as I can get it. That way I can give with the recoil. I do hold the forearm firmly with my left hand and rest that hand on the rifle rest. That is the proper hold for a double rifle but I also do it with the bolt guns. You do want a firm grip with both hands. My son caught his 416 Rigby in the air after it got away from a friend that fired it. I do use a strap-on recoil pad and pull the butt in tight. I don't own a lead sled as I'm afraid the recoil might break the stock at the wrist on a double. Shooting hard recoiling rifles takes conditioning. Conditioning can be started by not shooting long strings and by using reduced loads and then working up to full power loads. I've said for years I was going to build a standing rest but haven't gotten around to doing it. At my age and no more shooting than I do I don't suppose I'll ever get around to it.
    build that standing bench tomorrow !!!!!