RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's so great about a Lyman 55 measure?

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Why in the world would anyone be considered dense for questioning why a Lyman 55 needs 4 knobs, one which looks just like the rest, but releases the barrel creating a huge problem, two for adjustment, and a clacker to top it all off? All of that for a powder measure that is basically useless for half of the rifle powders out there, and it isn't even as accurate as something like a RCBS or Lee. Sure, maybe it is good enough for bullseye powder, what isn't? Put some Unique in there, then compare to any other powder measure out there.
    Yet people used them their entire lifetime as their only powder measure and had no issues. And when they died somebody else went right on using it, maybe for their entire lifetime as well.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks char-gar I’m going to check them out 👍

Boolit Buddy
    Not real crazy about the Lyman 55 I have. I dont find it hard to adjust. But it seems to bind with fine ball powders. Its real good with flake powders like Unique. But I will take my RCBS Uniflow over the 55 any day.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Not real crazy about the Lyman 55 I have. I dont find it hard to adjust. But it seems to bind with fine ball powders. Its real good with flake powders like Unique. But I will take my RCBS Uniflow over the 55 any day.
    What I do not like about out the Uniflow is that it is a pain in the butt to switch drums, a uniflow devotee would own a couple of them I guess and leave large drum in one and small in the other.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    What I do not like about out the Uniflow is that it is a pain in the butt to switch drums, a uniflow devotee would own a couple of them I guess and leave large drum in one and small in the other.
    I have a Uniflow and don't see a problem with swapping the drums; I don't do it very often so no big deal. Granted, it would be more convenient with two frames but it doesn't take that long to change out.

Boolit Buddy
    I got one in a lot of other items and it was good for the price

The knocker is a bit unique. I use it mainly for rifle powders, so it cuts kind of heavily. I have not used that many others, so not much to compare it against

Boolit Master
    Love my 55, wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    The new Uniflow 3 only has one drum. Same with the slightly older Quick-Change Uniflow model but with that one you could buy inserts separately.

Lower insert is the old model (pre-quickchange). Upper one is the Uniflow 3 model. With the quickchange you could buy extra inserts....set them once for a load and just slide in a new insert (if you want) for each load. Least you have that option. You can always just have one insert and readjust it for each load from a load book like we used to do......or buy another p.m. So far I haven't seen separate Uniflow 3 inserts.....but I expect you can order the parts you want.

I did a review on THR a while back when the 3 came out.... https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-11570541
    Last edited by GWS; 01-15-2023 at 07:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

My Father got one when he started loading. Used it with complete satisfaction. When I started, I inherited it. I used it with satisfaction too. Then I got a couple Dillon presses. I couldn’t help but notice their measures were better. Then I traded into an RCBS measure, it was better too. Dad’s Lyman just sits now. I should sell it, but it was Dad's…
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of Lyman 55's and find the adequate to load with using ball powders. For stick powders I much prefer my old Belding and Mull Visible measure.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    The new Uniflow 3 only has one drum. Same with the slightly older Quick-Change Uniflow model but with that one you could buy inserts separately.

Lower insert is the old model (pre-quickchange). Upper one is the Uniflow 3 model. With the quickchange you could buy extra inserts....set them once for a load and just slide in a new insert (if you want) for each load. Least you have that option. You can always just have one insert and readjust it for each load from a load book like we used to do......or buy another p.m. So far I haven't seen separate Uniflow 3 inserts.....but I expect you can order the parts you want.

I did a review on THR a while back when the 3 came out.... https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-11570541
    That IMHO is a worthwhile improvement .
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Since there have been numerous complaints that the Lyman 55 cuts stick powders it makes me curious, why is that a problem? I’ve never understood what difference a few cut powders here and there could make.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have a couple of them and they kinda work, although my Redding and Harrels have them beat hands down.
    bingo.
    I've had a bunch of measure pass through my hands for some reason. Hornady, redding, lyman black powder, belding and mull all went down the road.

I'm still using the RCBS with micrometer for extruded powders I'm going to trickle up, a little dandy for almost all handgun loads and my harrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I got a little Iver Johnson .32 top break a few years ago and wanted to load for it, had all the stuff. Inquired on here and everybody told me I'd need to make a dipper for charges that small, but I figured I'd try first. Just FYI, a Lyman 55 will throw a 1.1 charge of Bullseye dead on accurate all day long.
    I bought one for the same reason, but found it very awkward to use. I transferred the operating handle on my RCBS to the left side, so I can hold the scale pan with my right, making it easy to transfer the pan to the scale, which has the pan hanger on the right. Can't do that with the Lyman.

Yes, I'm one of those anal-compulsives that has to weigh every charge. Not ashamed of it, either.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Guess it a matter of preference. Mine will consistently drop +/- .10 grain charges all day as long as I use the rapper correctly. To me that means one rap when filling the drum and two as I dump the load. I’ve found a second or third rap while filling will boost the charge weight enough to compensate for a lower reservoir powder level but I really should just get a baffle.
    Also the lightest load I drop is 2.0g TG. I get +/- .1 grain with Unique, 4227, and Herco too.
    Then too I’ve found by lightly tapping the side of the measure with a rubber coated tool handle a couple dozen times before trying to set the charge weight makes getting my charge dialed in a lot easier. After that one rap to fill & two upon dumping.
    Only thing I’m not crazy about is all that rapping loosens the lock screw holding my drop tube.
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 01-24-2023 at 07:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123