Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: H&g #68

Boolit Master

H&g #68

I have been advised to find the above mold or a good copy.

So, who makes a good copy of the H&G #68? I will be using it in various 45 ACP revolvers.

Thank you.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

just about every mold maker from Lee molds to Noe. Noe and MP has some really good Brass molds if your using the 45 acp as a carry gun I would go with a HP-SWC H&G clone by changing pins you can make the solid SWC or HollowPoint. Good luck,
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Saeco 068 has a bevel base and Saeco 069 has a plain base.
    Accurate 45-200-H has a plain base.
    MP 454-200 has a bevel base.

I just got a MP mold 6 cav AL clone Marked 200GR H+G 68 is a PB was $68 on sale and 20 shipping from Slovenia but only took about 8-9 days.
    work of art comes with tools and a sprue cutter uses LEE 6 cav handles and cast perfect bullets real nice had to clean and heat cycle a few times. run mold hot i put on hot plate even H+G I guess had variations over the years so this is as good as it gets.

IMHO cannot beat this deal real happy with mine.
    PS I have Saeco and Lee clones but this one is real sharp.

Bruce

RCBS 45-201-swc is their copy.

Boolit Buddy
    The 68 H&G has been the standard for a long time. Get one you will be happy.

Boolit Master
    I got slightly better accuracy with the SAECO #069 copy than I did with the original #68.

Boolit Master
    Accurate molds would be my first choice for an H&G 68 style mold.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    RCBS 45-201-swc is their copy.
    That’s my favorite!

Boolit Master
    Have the LEE 6 cavity version but sis not care for the bevel base so milled it down enough to remove the bevel. Drops 190 gr in my alloy and casts like a dream.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an MP 4 cavity brass #68 clone which is my preference. Some aver that the Lyman 452-460 is more accurate, but IME any slight difference is more than compensated for by the better functioning of the H&G bullet, plus mine casts better and more easily.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

The H&G 68 is a classic and like the others have said, every mold maker makes one in their version. I have an original H&G and a 2 cavity RCBS. Both make fine bullets.
    Last edited by lightman; 01-09-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you get one from Accurate you can specify the size you want with the alloy you'll use. And they cast great from the start. Choice of aluminum, brass and iron.

I use H&G, and Ballisti-cast. Just dumb luck that they fit my barrels. They cast great too.

I should have posted before. All the Accurate molds cast excellent bullets regardless of material.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 01-09-2023 at 08:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    When I was commercial casting in the 1990's I sold more 200gr H&G 68 bullets than all others combined. A lot of them went to commercial reloaders as well as shooters. I still cast 200gr H&G 68 bullets from NEI molds I bought in the 1980's.

Boolit Master

I would lean toward a MP 4 cavity brass. That is what I use and am well satisfied. The MP is not that much more expensive than a Lee 6 cavity and I think there is a significant improvement in quality.
    The MP casts bullets that shoot less than 2" at 50 yards in my Ransom Rest.

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I would lean toward a MP 4 cavity brass. That is what I use and am well satisfied. The MP is not that much more expensive than a Lee 6 cavity and I think there is a significant improvement in quality.
    The MP casts bullets that shoot less than 2" at 50 yards in my Ransom Rest.
    I get about same or little less in Ransom rest on a good day

Boolit Grand Master

I only have experience with three kinds. The Lee version, the Arsenal version, and whatever GT bullets sells which I suspect is from an NOE mold.

There are very minor differences between them, but whether that makes any difference or not to you I can't say. The biggest difference between the 3 I've tried is of course that the Lee is a bevel base, the other two are flat base. The Lee and NOE have a smaller meplat and overall slimmer nose. On paper the NOE does show a more rounded nose which may or may not effect feeding. The ones from GT bullets do not have as rounded a nose as shown by NOE, but I can't say for sure those are NOE bullets anyway. The Lee has an ever so slightly shorter distance from base to top of front driving band. It is about .005 shorter than the Arsenal. I don't remember what the GT bullets measured. The Arsenal also has a slightly fatter nose just after the front driving band.

Overall the Arsenal has a slightly fatter nose, flat base.

The Lee has a thinner nose, bevel base

NOE/GT bullets has a nose somewhere in the middle, flat base

I did do some involved accuracy testing with them, including different lubes. By a fair margin the Arsenal bullet with TAC 1 lube was the most accurate. That's not to say the Lee or GT were bad, but they were in the realm of 5" at 50 yards, where the Arsenal was close to 3" at 50 yards. The GT bullets version came lubed, and it could be that hard lube doesn't work as good. I did find quite the difference in accuracy with different lubes that test. That was off a rest of course, 25 shot averages. I even tried loading the Lee .005" longer OAL to make the front driving bands the same between the two. That made no difference. It could be the Arsenal is better balanced, it could just be my handgun likes it better.

My vote is if you want a hollow point, get the NOE. If not, the Arsenal version is very fairly priced and shoots really well.

Boolit Master
    "The Lee has a thinner nose, bevel base."

I had this Lee mold at one time and the thinner nose caused feeding problems with a few 1911's which fed a H&G 68's all day without any jams. I was glad when it went away on eBay.