MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Stickey Powder Measures

Boolit Buddy

Stickey Powder Measures

We all use powder measures. Most of the older Lyman and RCBS measures utilize a rotary drum to measure charge powder. Often the charge gets dumped directly into a primed cartridge case. Sometimes the measured charge goes into a scale pan to trickle a few more gains to produce a precise rifle charge down to a tenth of a grain. For those who own a precision electronic scale, the manual trickling of a 1/4 grain of powder is of no concern. My old rotary measures get difficult to rotate. Oil messes them up making things worse. Discovered spray graphite! I use ZEP Spray Graphite on my boolit moulds to keep the sprue plates gliding over the mould tops. Oil just does not work! My Magma Master Caster loves the ZEP Spray Graphite. The semi-auto Magma really turns out the boolits!! The spray graphite works great on the rotary powder measures. My RCBS and Lyman measures all have a black stain on them. But the graphite is carried by a thin liquid carrier as it is sprayed. The carrier evaporates and leaves the very fine graphite. No more difficult to turn rotary measures. I even have used the spray graphite on my Dillon presses as they have slide bar measurers. Just one little trick I have stumbled on! Maybe this little remedy will help a fellow boolit caster!!!

Boolit Master
    Spray Teflon works, too. It tends to stay in place once the carrier aerosol evaporates.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve never experienced the problem having used RCBS, Lyman and Dillon mechanical measures. The graphite from the powder has always been adequate lubrication.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I try to minimize using graphite.
    Sure it works, but for me it gets on everything like a two year old running around with sticky/gooey hands.

My rotary drums get sticky too mostly with stick powder. I've had good luck with car wax on the drum for them.
    The flake & ball powders seem to do OK by just keeping the drum frame and rotor clean & dry with a T shirt rag.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I try to minimize using graphite.
    Sure it works, but for me it gets on everything like a two year old running around with sticky/gooey hands.

My rotary drums get sticky too mostly with stick powder. I've had good luck with car wax on the drum for them.
    The flake & ball powders seem to do OK by just keeping the drum frame and rotor clean & dry with a T shirt rag.
    powdered graphite - just need a touch of the stuff and wipe off the excess

Boolit Buddy

Instead of adding, have you tried cleaning? Years ago a rep at Dillon told me some powders have additives that coat and may cause sticking. Clean with alcohol and not the cheap (70%) stuff. GW

I have and like my Redding’s. Like Winger Ed they might bind a little with certain stick powder but nothing that needs attention.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use regular graphite powder when needed. Works great for me.

I've been using the same RCBS measure for twenty years without doing anything to it, so I'm curious to know what factors might induce one to get "sticky".
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I've been using the same RCBS measure for twenty years without doing anything to it, so I'm curious to know what factors might induce one to get "sticky".
    I've had both my old and the new Hornady ones dry out and 'gall' the way an engine or bearing does when it gets dry.
    Without some sort of 'slick-um' the 2 parts don't want to slide freely on each other.
    I think the graphite coating on power specks does a good job, but sometimes they want to hang up and bind anyway.

For me, It might have something to do with the high humidity here.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Clean the drum and coat it with graphite is what I do.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I've experienced this only once in over 60yrs of reloading. And it was My fault for having sticky on My hands while setting up My old Pro-Jector.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I clean well then "powder" the rotor with powdered graphite from a little tube I got from an auto parts place. They sell it for lubricating locks. A lot goes a looooonnng way!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Spray Teflon works, too. It tends to stay in place once the carrier aerosol evaporates.

Any of the Dry Lube Sprays that have a Micro-Teflon base such as Liquid Wrench Dry Lube (L512) work well ... the Liquid Wrench Dry Lube comes in a spray and a liquid .
    Disassemble the parts , apply dry lube and let dry , re-assemble .
    The Teflon flim lubricates the parts but doesn't contaminate the powder .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Same here, I have 2 of the 1980's era duel RCBS measures and never had sticking problems just hard operating when cutting stick powders like 4064. I keep all lubes away from the drums.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    here where the humidity is high anything not stored properly gets "sticky" ive resurrected powder measures, hornady, belding and mull, Lyman 55 by disassembling. scrub all moving parts with 0000 steel wool soaked in kroil. cleaning thoroughly all parts with clean paper towels and alcohol. reassemble and put them back to work. a little powdered graphite like is used in locks cant hurt anything.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a measure once that was rough and I used a small engine cylinder hone, or a brake cylinder hone, I don't remember which, on the cast part to smooth it up. I also waxed the drum with a hard automotive paste wax. I never thought about those spray graphite lubes!

Boolit Master
    Froglube CLP is my go cleaner and lube For all things firearm and reloading related! I’ve been cleaning my guns with it for about five years now and wouldn’t switch to anything else. It’s cut my cleaning time in half from my firearms pistol or rifle. I tried it as a lubricant on a couple of presses and it works so good I lube everything with it! it doesn’t take much! Wipe a little lawn heat the item up with a hairdryer or a heat gun and wipe all the excess off. And bonds with the metal or something I don’t know read their website. All I know is it works. As a matter of fact I’ve used it on quite a few non-firearms related items. My shower curtain was hanging up on my shower curtain rod, I guess from mineral deposits from the water. Put a little Froglube on, doesn’t hang up anymore! Oh yeah and you can eat it too! Lol at least that’s what it says on the website.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!