Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: .45acp reload

Boolit Mold

.45acp reload

ok, question is, i have .45acp, 190 gr. swc. i use winchester 231 powder. i have been reloading using 5.5 gr. powder. i can't seem to find the exact upper and lower on the grains to use. this is an older cast that i bought years ago and i stopped reloading some time ago but now trying to get back into it. is the 5.5 gr powder about right? any ideas helpful. thanks. i have dillon 550 reloader with lee powder safety scales.

Boolit Master
    My Lyman 48th book on hand shows 4.0 to 6.0 for the 200g 452460 bullet with 231
    My #3 cast bullet handbook shows 3.5 to 5.7 for the 195g 452488 bullet with 231

You should be good at 5.5 but I would call that top end and would be happier in the 5-5.2 range if it functions well. You should also back off the loads and start with something like 4.5 and work up if your gun doesn’t cycle properly.

If your going to reload you can’t have enough manuals on hand. All the local supply sites, sporting goods stores and of course Amazon will get you new books and local marketplace ads can net you some older and used manuals

Do a search for “Lyman loading manual pdf” this will net you some places to download a few of the older manuals.
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 01-06-2023 at 11:08 PM.

I'm looking at Speer #14 and for 185 gr. SWC it shows 231 at a start load of 5.0 gr. and a maximum of 5.5 gr. So for 190 gr. I'm thinking that the advice to drop to 5.2 gr. is good.

DG

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'm looking at Speer #14 and for 185 gr. SWC it shows 231 at a start load of 5.0 gr. and a maximum of 5.5 gr. So for 190 gr. I'm thinking that the advice to drop to 5.2 gr. is good.

DG
    hey, thanks. i think i will back off to about 5.0. it is doing ok so far. i am shooting the kimber .45acp ultra carry II.

Boolit Mold
    thanks, as i told the other post, i will back off to 5.0. it is doing ok but don't want to blow my kimber up. again thanks.