Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel weights - thing of the past?

Wheel weights - thing of the past?

I did search but with such a general term, didn't find the question exactly.

I use to use 50:50 Pb:COWW + added 95:5 solder to bring tin to 2%. WQ'ed.

Now, I have been using Rotometal Pb:No. 2 at 2:1, again WQ'ed.

I appreciate the Rotometal alloys. At the same time, I miss the ability to buy WW to make my own alloy. Not really a big deal to me to sort and smelt the dirty COWW.

It's been since about 2015. Are COWW's quickly becoming a thing of the past? For you guys who have traditionally used them, are you still sourcing them? If not, what are you subbing in for your alloy?
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Dunno where you're located but I'm in Illinois where Pb-alloy wheelweights have been illegal for over ten years. Could occasionally find some up 'til, maybe, 4 years ago but not any longer. Local recyclers won't even sell scrap roofing or plumbing lead...claim it's 'illegal' to sell to anyone without a hazmat license (It isn't but this is a dark blue university town and they're afraid of losing business if the local eco-idiots were to find out!).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Dunno where you're located but I'm in Illinois where Pb-alloy wheelweights have been illegal for over ten years. Could occasionally find some up 'til, maybe, 4 years ago but not any longer. Local recyclers won't even sell scrap roofing or plumbing lead...claim it's 'illegal' to sell to anyone without a hazmat license (It isn't but this is a dark blue university town and they're afraid of losing business if the local eco-idiots were to find out!).

Bill
    OK, thanks Bill. I do like knowing the purity of the stuff (as with Rotometals) and thought the W's were either heading that way (it was getting tough for me even then - WI) or out. So I'm guessing most guys have moved on to other alloys then.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

scroll down to page 3 and about a quarter down for wheel weight score, they are still out there.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I have picked up 1000lbs in the last three months. You can still find them. I am finding that now they are running 50% junk. Lots of steel, composite tape weights and some zinc. I am only paying $20 a bucket though so I am still buying. Got 5 buckets of cowws ready to melt and 1 bucket of sowws. Also got about 500lbs of soft lead to put into ingots.

I just packaged up 511lbs of linotype and 302lbs of monotype/stereotype. Had been sitting in buckets for 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Are COWW's quickly becoming a thing of the past?
    Yep. There's also ranges that won't let you shoot Lead anymore too.
    Lead wheel weights are on the way out, and so is Lead in other things too.

It'll be awhile before we're all forced into it, but some folks are getting in on it now.
    There's a few threads here, and several videos on youtube about casting with the Zinc wheel weights.

One of the advantages to them is they're about 60% as heavy as Lead for the same boolit, but you may not have to lube them,
    and you can push them on up to jacketed speeds. They would be a decent substitute for Barnes solids.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on where you are located. I can still find them here in Arkansas. I scored a bucket last week and a bucket before Christmas. The useable lead yield is down to 55-60%. I am seeing more steel weights, more stick-on weights and fewer Zinc weights.

Local shops have them……I’ve been using more SOWWs and hold my COWWs in reserve. I like it when you find some of the ‘big truck’ weights!

Boolit Master
    No but they are getting harder to find. I am using bullet traps and range scrap more than WW now days.

OK thanks guys. Even back then I couldn't find anyplace anywhere locally, but I did have a guy about 15 miles out of town. Worth checking in with him again and otherwise digging "while supplies last."
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Local shops have them……I’ve been using more SOWWs and hold my COWWs in reserve. I like it when you find some of the ‘big truck’ weights!
    The last bucket that I sorted got rained on before I got it unloaded and moved into the garage. About 1/3rd of the way down I encountered this pesky wet piece of cardboard that turned out to be a box of new unused 8oz truck weights. This shop will sell and mount truck tires but doesn't have a way to balance them. Thats pretty common with farm trucks and log trucks that are in a lot of mud.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    No but they are getting harder to find. I am using bullet traps and range scrap more than WW now days.
    Range scrap will be the easiest source IF you can find a range that will allow you to mine. Not worth the bother to try to find tire shops anymore IMO.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    I’ve tried asking at the local tire shops and mostly received very odd looks. But never a single weight. I do pick up the occasional street found weight, usually right near the potholes. That may yield a boolit or two. Everything gets thrown in a bucket for a later day of melting.
    The local scrap yards here don't have a problem selling lead as of now.
    So thats my source and store bought ingots like Rotometals and plumbing supply shops.
    My purity is good and I’m having great results from what I cast.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Master
    I'd had a random thought about wheel weights a couple of years ago, but never followed up on it because I have lots of casting alloy on hand. People will "mine the berm" at shooting ranges to recover spent bullets for smelting, and that's productive. Back when lead alloy wheel weights were common, anytime that I'd walk a mile or two along city streets I'd find wheel weights laying on the shoulder or at intersections. Some days I might pick up half a dozen on a walk downtown. Over time this would build up to an amount that I could melt down and cast a batch of bullets.

The thought that I had was about street-sweepers. The city/county/state all have street sweepers that go basically everywhere collecting anything that ends up on the road shoulder. These things have been doing this for decades, and must have picked up a lot of wheelweights every day. Where do they dump the stuff that they pick up? If it gets trucked off to a landfill then it's basically gone. But if it gets dumped into a pile at some city/county yard, then this is probably a mound of high grade wheelweight ore. I think that the only downside to "mining" that trash dirt for the alloy is that it might also contain asbestos dust from back in the day when they made brake pads from that stuff. This is just something that tumbled over in my mind, but no body cared about it back when tireweights were plentiful.

Boolit Grand Master

If I didn't have a tire shop that saved them for me I would ask at some wrecking yards. If that worked out you would benefit in investing in a good set of wheelweight pliers.

Its kind of become a game between a buddy and me but we watch at intersections and exit ramps and manage to pick up quite a few. When his boys were farming we made parts runs for them and managed to see a lot of intersections and exit ramps. We would pick up about a bucket a year! I even had a magnet on a stick and could catch them on the move!

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah - and read the latest news about the UK getting ready to ban airgun pellets and lead shot. Lead might be the next gold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Range scrap will be the easiest source IF you can find a range that will allow you to mine. Not worth the bother to try to find tire shops anymore IMO.
    Recently while having some work done on my vehicle, I idly asked what they did with their old wheelweights--and ended up with an estimated 160# for the cost of a dozen doughnuts. So it may depend on the geographic area or the individual shop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    It depends on where you are located. I can still find them here in Arkansas. I scored a bucket last week and a bucket before Christmas. The useable lead yield is down to 55-60%. I am seeing more steel weights, more stick-on weights and fewer Zinc weights.
    Same here in my part of the Arkansas Delta. As a cousin said: "Need to find a farm tire shop at least a quarter mile down a dirt road and out of town". So it must be a location thing.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Bolded text pretty much mirrors my recent yields.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    My local tire shop has been nice enough to give me their "waste weight" buckets. I usually stop i around the first of each month and swap my scrap buckets for "new" buckets, so they end up getting rid of the zinc, steel and composite junk. January was awesome as the shop had been doing winter tire installations for a month so my haul was double of what I normally get. Even with the lower percentage of usable weights from each batch I have way more alloy that I can shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast