MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Dickson Howa Peep Sight

Boolit Buddy

Dickson Howa Peep Sight

Hello all. I am interested in a Dickson Howa golden bear chambered in 30-06. I know they are a clone of a sako finnbear. The rifle currently has a scope on it. I'm sure a sako peep sight would work on this rifle but the cost of the sight is a little much for me. Does Williams or Lyman make a peep that will fit on the Howa sako clone?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Most Howas use scope mounts and receiver sights for the Remington 700, mine does. May want to try that one first?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

AFAIK, nobody except Sako makes a clip-on receiver sight that fits the Sako receiver dovetails.

Several receiver sight makers offer receivers sights that will fit your Golder Bear (aka: Sako Finnbear), however they all are designed to fit the side of the receiver bridge (ala Mauser 98 ) - which are secured via 2 D/T'd holes in the side of the bridge.

Although those sights are less expensive than the Sako sight, if the side of your receiver bridge doesn't have the two D/T'd holes in the side of the receiver bridge as a factory prep, the cost to have a gunsmith do the prep should be considered as part of the cost to take that route.

If the rifle has the factory prep, you should be good to go.

With either type of receiver sight, it's most likely your front sight will need to be changed out for another front sight blade that's at least 0.10" taller than the issue front sight blade, in order to zero the rifle.

Per your money & take your choice. ( aka: between a rock & a hard place)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

So, the rifle in question is a clone of the Sako?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I sure didn’t know that Howa made a Sako copy. Learning new things is great!
    Look on the bay for a sight; you may get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew that Howa cloned the bolt design, didnt know they cloned the whole rifle though.

Boolit Master
    If the rifle has screw on scope bases, Williams has a receiver sight that is made to fit the rear scope mounting holes on many rifles. Wiliams Gun Sight Site should have the info. Listed as a WGRS, in multiple configurations. I've got them on a Marlin 336 and a Savage 110.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help! Yes howa clones the sako finnbear with there golden bear lol. From what I read to rifles are so close that you can interchange the bolts from the Howa to a sako. I emailed Williams sight company and asked them. They said they had nothing to offer for that rifle.

That's interesting, thanks. My 1500 has the Sako bolt design but uses scope mounts and receiver sights for the 700. Best of both worlds!

Boolit Buddy
    Just an update. I have the rifle cleaned and ready to shoot. I had a idea so I threw $30 into the wind and bought one of Williams peep sights that mount onto .22 rails. With just a little shimming to get things square, this rifle has a peep sight that is got planty of yardage adjustment.