MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: DPMS barrel extension and washer

DPMS barrel extension and washer

Do I need to have a washer between the barrel and the barrel extension? Yep its dumb question yo some people but not to knuckle head like me.
    Jim Ceglinski
    Southfield, Mi. 48075

Boolit Master

Interesting question! I have never removed the extension.

Boolit Grand Master

Normally you would use the "washer" or shims to clock the handguard and help it line up while tightening it to the correct torque value. In answer to your question, maybe not. I have built a few uppers that they (shims) were not needed.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

My understanding is there is no washer. The extension is torqued to the barrel and then the gas port and alignment pin are drilled to top dead center.

It would be difficult to replace a barrel extension and have the gas port and alignment pin in proper orientation.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Most barrel extensions come already on the barrel, for ARs anyway.

What is the torque value for a barrel extension. If you had the tools and talent to install a barrel extension drilling a gas port would like be pretty simple. But why?
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm Witness View Post
    Do I need to have a washer between the barrel and the barrel extension? Yep its dumb question yo some people but not to knuckle head like me.
    No, a washer or shim will change your headspace and indexing and should normally never be used or needed. Could out of spec assemblies be fixed using a shim? Yes, but that is for out of spec assemblies.

They do make shims that go between the barrel extension and the upper receiver.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-07-2023 at 02:02 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    What is the torque value for a barrel extension. If you had the tools and talent to install a barrel extension drilling a gas port would like be pretty simple. But why?
    https://news.aroutfitting.com/2018/0...G%20Pro%20rail.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

A barrel nut is very different from an extension. The AR15 extension is torqued to 150 foot pounds.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    A barrel nut is very different from an extension. The AR15 extension is torqued to 150 foot pounds.
    You are correct. I am multitasking today (not very well) with a septic pump issues and snow removal issues. I posted specs for the barrel nut not the extension. Thanks for posting the correct specs.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Shims are used to clock the gas tube to the nut hole. Most new barrel nuts don't have the notches/holes so shims not needed.
    Whatever!

I am speaking about the extension not the barrel nut. They are 2 different parts doing different jobs.
    Jim Ceglinski
    Southfield, Mi. 48075

Shouldn't be any shims for extension unless somebody screwed up. No reason for any!! The alignment pin is for the feed ramp alignment - the barrel itself has NO alignment. If installing a barrel into an extension that has the hole pre-drilled, the pin has NO reason to go into the barrel.
    Whatever!