Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Norinco 1887

Boolit Mold

Norinco 1887

Just picked up a like new norinco 1887 clone, looking for advise on how to slick up the action or who I should send it to. Looking into trying out cowboy action shooting.

Also if anyone else has one, what shells have you found to work best though it?

Appreciate the help, this one is also getting the movie prop treatment with a big loop and a pistol grip (so I can spin cock it on my Harley, or take down some mummies)
    “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact”

Not sure if he's still in business but Coyote Cap used to be the man when it came to those guns.

An introduction to them:
    https://youtu.be/vwhXqlvzFgE

Boolit Grand Master
    Go to the SASS Wire forum and get advice. When I was into it. Colt McAllister did my Colt SAA's and Norinco and he was excellent. I do not believe he does that work any longer but there are others.
    Don Verna

Stay away from coyote cap, if he’s even working, find another smith. You will pass before your heirs get your sg back. Good luck on your ‘87. I have one too, bought it after sass outlawed my Marlin pumps but never warmed up to it. Finally found a mismatched ‘97.

Boolit Mold
    I have a stoeger coachgun and an original 1897 trench gun, just like the idea of the 87 lever. I will take a look on that sass forum and see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Stay away from coyote cap, if he’s even working, find another smith. You will pass before your heirs get your sg back. Good luck on your ‘87. I have one too, bought it after sass outlawed my Marlin pumps but never warmed up to it. Finally found a mismatched ‘97.
    Good to know. My information was from many years ago, I didn't know he had fallen from favor. Been away from the cowboy scene for some time now.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Wrap the lever!
    That gun wants to be racked hard.
    Go for roll crimp, less waraition in cartridge length. It aids feeding and extraction.
    Take off 4", that will remove the ˝choke.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Wrap the lever!
    That gun wants to be racked hard.
    Go for roll crimp, less waraition in cartridge length. It aids feeding and extraction.
    Take off 4", that will remove the ˝choke.
    I am planning on making a big loop for it, cutting just under 2” off the barrel (20” factory), and swapping the stock out for a custom grip. I WILL learn how to spin cock this thing.

Showed up at the FFL this morning- unfortunately the stock cracked in transit- fortunately the seller gave me 150 bucks refund for my troubles.

Boolit Buddy

The Norinco 1887 (IAC, Billerica, MA) is sensitive to shell OAL and prefers shorter 2-3/4" shells. Sorry, I don't know the dimensions, but longer 2-3/4" shells won't run through the receiver per a friend who has a few. Extractors generally need some work to improve extraction.

And yes, not all 2-3/4" 12ga shells are actually 2-3/4" in length.

Noah

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Zark View Post
    The Norinco 1887 (IAC, Billerica, MA) is sensitive to shell OAL and prefers shorter 2-3/4" shells. Sorry, I don't know the dimensions, but longer 2-3/4" shells won't run through the receiver per a friend who has a few.

And yes, not all 2-3/4" 12ga shells are actually 2-3/4" in length.

Noah

I did not know that, I thought all 2 3/4 shells were the same. I’ll have to measure a few different ones I have lying around and see what’s up.

Thanks for tidbit

Boolit Buddy

IIRC, my friend has Federal shells with a silver base and maroon plastic case, and they are like 1/8" shorter than some Remington shells. The Feds cycle and eject 100% but some of the Rems hang up during ejection after they open up. Not all, but a disturbing %, like 15-20%.

Just don't stock up on a shed load of ammo without trying a box of any flavor you consider.

Noah

Boolit Mold
    I have a bunch of Winchester, some herters, and a couple boxes of Remington. Think there is some federal in one of my cans too. Appreciate the rundown Noah Zark