Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolits Hammer Mould

Moderator Emeritus

Cast Boolits Hammer Mould

If I recall, waaaaaay back when, there was a "floating" hammer mould available to forum members. My (questionable of late) memory recalls one got in the queue for it, and whenever the member using it got done, it was passed on. I almost (?) recall the hammer mould was of Hensley & Gibbs manufacture, too. (?????)
    Am I having a "dream" -- or, if not, might someone shed some light on this?
    My cast lead hammer (like me) has seen better days. Which triggered the memory...
    As a side-note -- perhaps a "replacement" hammer mould, similarly circulated, might not be a bad addition?
    (curious) george

Boolit Master

George, my memory parallels yours. Did I read that someone broke the chain by not returning the mold?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    My memory of it seems to be of a posting speculating on where it went and who had it last. IIRC, there was never any resolution and the mould remained lost. This has been a few years ago, but at this point it seems we can put it in the same category as the Ark of the Covenant, the Holy Grail, and the last honest politician.

Has anyone checked Area 51?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    That type of mold is not hard to make - personally, I make brass hammers but if you really want lead, just use a piece of EMT or similar pipe in whatever diameter you want as a sleeve. A piece of wood will even work for one pour. Lead melts at such a low temp that a bit of oakum or other "caulk" can be used as a dam to keep the melted material from leaking out. I've poured babbitt metal to rebuild a few pieces of old machinery and it's not very difficult to keep the melt in place until it solidifies.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Just cast up some Lead hammers for my fellow casters.

McMaster-Carr used to sell the mould and spare handles. No more. Apparently Lead is bad for you.

Found the company that purchased the Cook Hammer tool. I was able to get two (2) handles for $55.00 USD delivered.

The mould kits are on eBay for $225.00 plus shipping and tax.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    I, too, remember the wandering hammer mold. I think I signed up for it, but it never came around. Although it would be neat to have a proper mold, making a "professional" quality hammers, I just ended up getting another home made lead hammer from some place. Never knew the outcome or details of the missing mold. Hate to think a castbooliteer made off with it.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked one up today at the junk store for $20 - always wanted one of those.
    Not sure what the weight will be yet.

Quote Originally Posted by curdog007 View Post
    I picked one up today at the junk store for $20 - always wanted one of those.
    Not sure what the weight will be yet.
    Not too bad. They're only $250--300 bucks on ebay.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

At one time, an orange juice can was suggested as a mold, at that time they were thin metal that could be peeled off after the lead cooled. Might be able to cut a larger can end to end, such as a soft drink can, then roll it to a smaller diameter and secure it with some soft wire, then cut a hole to insert a handle and pour the lead. Once cooled remove the wire and peel the can off.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be darned - I didn't know they were that much! (I just looked on eBay) The guy even threw in an old screwdriver as well.

It's the one with the ladle, but the handle is missing. That's no trouble to make.

You could use a Donald Duck juice 5.5oz can as a mould, but then you would have to drink that nasty stuff to get the can.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quick search found this discussion. From 2007.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...20-Lead-Hammer

And another from 2008

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ad-hammer-mold
    Last edited by Minerat; 01-06-2023 at 11:45 PM.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I have a hammer mold, think it's 2#. If somebody wanted to send me the lead and a handle I could cast some up.

Boolit Grand Master

I may make a hammer mould here shortly. Im thinking around 12 oz -14 oz. Use a piece of copper tubing for the handle socket formed to the oval on a mandrel so a regular wood handle and wedges can be used. Im thinking the head will be about 2 1/2" long and 3/4" in dia with a slight taper to the ends. when I get it done vast arounf copper sleeve and install handle.
    I have a hammer mould here has the ladle attached uses 1/2" or 3/4" pipe for a handle. A pipe cap seals the end off This mould drops about a 2 1/2 pound hammer, bigger than I prefer for most use.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife recently discarded a wooden meat tenderizing hammer. I drilled out one end with a spade bit and filled with lead. Works well enough for most of my light needs.

Boolit Master
    Not many years ago someone here offered an AL hammer mold, think it’s about 2#. Came with the mold and a turned AL handle. I’ve been using brass hammers and haven’t used mine yet.

Edit: I mean offered for sale, not loan…that was before my time.

Boolit Master
    Now THIS is a lead hammer! I have a couple of these and at one time I was actually able to swing them over my head. The handles are actually heavy wall threaded copper. Used them for setting large cast iron water pipes into the next pipe in trenches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190503_174104.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	309005

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190503_174038.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	309006

[QUOTE=Rickf1985;5514448]Now THIS is a lead hammer! /QUOTE]

Good job.

I wish I'd taken a picture of it, but I made one for my old tire shop buddy that needed a big hammer
    to break down the bead on earth mover tires.

I welded a floor jack handle in and on a fire extinguisher tank.
    I didn't weigh it, but it felt like about 60 pounds. His guys loved it.
    In trade, he gave me about 1,000 pound of the old school wheel weights.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I made one. The handles a piece of brass pipe and the hammer head was a piece of toilet paper cardboard tube. I think I used two layers of tube and poured the lead slowly.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    That one there is right on 65 lbs. The handle could well be brass pipe. It is heavy and has a green patina now but when we used them all the time they were polished like bras or copper from use. They ere made probably in the 50's and had the remnants of those old big coffee cans. That was the mold. I am thinking there must be a Tee fitting on the end of the pipe inside the lead to keep it from sliding off the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast