WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help or advice on a 45 ACP bear round to load!

Boolit Grand Master

Like I said; "A hard cast Lee 230 gr TC bullet over 6 gr Unique or 8.5 gr Blue Dot to 900 fps in 5" barrel."

Be good for those BBs and then two legged varmints also.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

^ + 1 ^

Been working since John Moses Browning designed it, and fielding started in 1911 with US Military. I listen to many in Northwest Montana claim that a 10mm is the "Least" they feel comfortable with; but simply tell them I am quite comfortable with the 1911 on my hip when in the field or out cutting firewood. (4 Feet of snow on the ground in back yard and 14 degrees outside this morning - so I am not worried about the Bear and Mountain Lions currently.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Keith 452424 50/50 WW-pb +a bit of tin over 4.8 Universal Clays is a great round imho . Feeds flawlessly in all of my .45autos . Make sure that the big fat nose doesn’t engage the slide release nub on the inside of the frame ( that the mag follower bumps up to lock the slide on a empty mag) . If I were to carry a 45auto for bear protection that would be my load . Cats aint hard to kill .

Vendor Sponsor

You were a ranger there, know the place inside and out, documented all previous sightings, and you are asking US for ammo advice for 45 ACP? I don't get it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    "During my time I have come across 9 bears, 12 mountain lions, several Bull Elk, and also things I can't explain and a firearm will do nothing to it at the time even with an M4 with full auto I did not want to shoot what I saw."...yea, .45s don't do real well against Skinwalkers...

I'd go with Larry's suggestion if you are reloading and plan on using just a standard .45 ACP. Personally I would beef up your gun with a flat bottom firing pin stop and add a couple of pounds to the main and recoil springs and go .45 Super...a 250 at 1050 will solve most problems and isn't bad to shoot.

In the reading I've done it seems that it's hits on target that count not what you hit them with...

Have a nice walk...Bob

I've been doing some testing with this. Very promising so far.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...e-45-acp/99214
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

6.5 grains of PowerPistol with a Lee 452-255 RF grain cast flat nosed255 grain bullet will give you a little over 900 fps in the .45acp...this is a +P load. I shoot the same bullet in my heavy duty S&W 4506 to 1050 fps with 8 grains of Longshot..this is a .45 Super load. .45 Super loads will NOT blow up a full sized heavy duty .45acp like a 1911 even if you do nothing to them. However gun damage can occur when and if you shoot hundereds of rounds of Super through a normal .45acp.. But in the case of possibly being eaten by a bear..a magazine full of Supers will only hurt the bear...

I feel better with low recoiling loads for faster, more accurate follow up shots. I would look for some WST powder and 200s to 230s. WST is the replacement for 452AA, burns clean and produces a push recoil, good for recovery in a self defense situation. The 45 ACP needs little help by any special bullets. It does not really expand well due to the regular velocity, I developed a load for my long slide with a revolver SWC, Lyman cast bullet, cuts a clean 45 cal hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B1B09EA9-FB29-4361-9E16-83B176AE6CEE.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

If you decide to go the 45 super route I would add a barrel bushing comp. From Wilson combat. They work way better than most people think rhey do and allow fir a flatter shooting gun. You can get them from midway USA or Wilson and are around 85 bucks and way worth it.

If it was me I'd set a up a 1911 with for the super round called outdoorsman at Buffalo bore and double tap calls them smc.

I own and love to shoot a bfr in 475 Limbaugh but it is heavy only holds 5 and slow to reload and a 45 super checks all the boxes for me. Have fun. Ymmv

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’d go for a 44mag with a decent length barrel. Old habits fade slowly.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I feel better with low recoiling loads for faster, more accurate follow up shots. I would look for some WST powder and 200s to 230s. WST is the replacement for 452AA, burns clean and produces a push recoil, good for recovery in a self defense situation. The 45 ACP needs little help by any special bullets. It does not really expand well due to the regular velocity, I developed a load for my long slide with a revolver SWC, Lyman cast bullet, cuts a clean 45 cal hole.
    Bear loads and low recoil do not belong in the same paragraph. Expansion is probably the WORST thing that could happen when you shoot a dangerous bear charging you. Generally the bigger the critter, the more penetration you will want. You get critter stopping penetration from velocity, boolit weight, and a non-expanding boolit.

If I had to shoot something bigger than an Eastern Carolina whitetail I would want a hard shooting load. Physics. All about the physics. There is NO free ride. Every action causes an equal but opposite reaction. If it rocks your wrist, it will be a very effective protector if you can hit where you intend to hit.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have loaded 260 grain Speer JHP bullets in the .45 ACP for bear. Not for hunting but more for running away from. Read the info in the Speer manual and it will describe the limited use of .45 Colt bullets in the .45 ACP. I loaded a bunch to test out before venturing into the wild and I am satisfied that they would work without any undue stress on the frame / slide. Actually comfortable to shoot and very accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Lee 252SWC (260gr PC and sized to .452") in 45ACP with 5gr of Unique (data from an old Speer manual for the 260gr JSP) . I'm using it in an HK USP45 (+P continuous use rated). I get just under 800fps and that SWC is a flying hammer. I carry it when I'm in the woods because it will penetrate anything I hit with it, it's accurate, and the SWC design will make a large wound channel. If your pistol isn't rated for continuous +P I wouldn't use it for your plinking load. I use a 230gr cast TC for practice with 5.3gr Bullseye (the classic 45ACP 230gr Ball load) and the same load with a 230gr XTP if the only predators I expect to meet are two-legged. All 3 loads shoot the same POI with my pistol. (How lucky can a guy get!? Lol)

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’d go for a 44mag with a decent length barrel. Old habits fade slowly.
    +1. For me that was the SS Super Blackhawk 5.5" .44 loaded hot, and lots of shooting. No idea how I'd perform on a bear charging 30 mpg, but least I'd know it was coming.

Edit: bear charging 30 MPH, not MPG.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 01-19-2023 at 05:14 PM.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    +1. For me that was the SS Super Blackhawk 5.5" .44 loaded hot, and lots of shooting. No idea how I'd perform on a bear charging 30 mpg, but least I'd know it was coming.

Edit: bear charging 30 MPH, not MPG.
    Might be a hybrid bear - and he really does get 30 MPG...

Quote Originally Posted by hwooldridge View Post
    might be a hybrid bear - and he really does get 30 mpg...
    lol!
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    I use a Lee 252SWC (260gr PC and sized to .452") in 45ACP with 5gr of Unique (data from an old Speer manual for the 260gr JSP) . I'm using it in an HK USP45 (+P continuous use rated). I get just under 800fps and that SWC is a flying hammer. I carry it when I'm in the woods because it will penetrate anything I hit with it, it's accurate, and the SWC design will make a large wound channel. If your pistol isn't rated for continuous +P I wouldn't use it for your plinking load. I use a 230gr cast TC for practice with 5.3gr Bullseye (the classic 45ACP 230gr Ball load) and the same load with a 230gr XTP if the only predators I expect to meet are two-legged. All 3 loads shoot the same POI with my pistol. (How lucky can a guy get!? Lol)
    Strange - 30 years ago I bought a surplus Smith & Wesson M1917/1937 Brazilian Contract .45ACP revolver; used that same boolit and powder charge in .45ACP cases. It was a hammering and accurate round. May think about dragging that pistol out of the back of the safe and carry it in the field with that load again. Thanks for reminding me.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    If you're serious about bears getting you, then I would opt for a revolver over a semiauto. If a bear is close enough to be a threat and can run at you at 30 mph, then the last thing you need is a jam. So if you happen to limp wrist it, you've assured yourself a jam and bingo, you're dead. Plus there won't be any time for reloading another mag anyway. Revolvers are incredibly reliable, much more so than a semi. It can take a while to get a hot .45 load to feed reliably in a semi - juggling loads and springs to match up. If you have time for that, then go for it. Revolvers have no safeties to worry about, slides to rack or mags to drop - just yank that trigger. Cops relied on them for decades.

Just my $.02

Boolit Master
    And now cops have relied on semi-autos for decades.

A semi takes little effort to run right. Even my wife's light commander has not jammed in over 10 years of shooting, from medium to heavy loads. The striker fired ones have no safety to worry about and nothing to snag You will get at least one round off. A revolver has to be cocked, either by hand or with the trigger. to get off a shot. Don't get me wrong, I like revolvers, just the reliability thing is getting a bit old. And, yes, I've had quite a few malfunctions with revolvers. Mostly ammo related, but, a couple were the pistol. And, yes, I will bet my life on either platform.

Moderator Emeritus

In the early 90's a man outside Evaro, MT heard some noises outside. They woke him up and he chased a grizzly bear off of his front porch. It was about 1:30 AM. 30 minutes later the noises were back and the crash of the bear entering his home got to him before he could scare it away. He killed the bear with 7 rounds of 45 ACP 185 JHP in his living room. Obviously not a charging bear or an enraged sow. Important to remember that the first rule in a gun fight is to have a gun.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast