WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for help or advice on a 45 ACP bear round to load!

Boolit Grand Master

I've killed two BBs with the 45 ACP cartidge using a Combat Commander and a M1911 Gvmt Model. Used the old RN Hornady 185 over 7.5 gr Unique in the Commander and the Speer 200 JHP "FAT" bullet over the same 7.5 gr Unique.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Used to work with a guy that took on a brown with a pen knife.

Boolit Buddy
    I was visiting one of our part time neighbors and he was telling me about hunting deer on Kodiak Island. I leaned to the side and looked at his butt...he gave me a strange look and I said I was just checking to see where the bears chewed up his butt. He says you must be thinking of my father...I gave him a strange look. He told me his father has the only Alaska F&G confirmed defense against a brown bear with a knife.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I was visiting one of our part time neighbors and he was telling me about hunting deer on Kodiak Island. I leaned to the side and looked at his butt...he gave me a strange look and I said I was just checking to see where the bears chewed up his butt. He says you must be thinking of my father...I gave him a strange look. He told me his father has the only Alaska F&G confirmed defense against a brown bear with a knife.

That fella's Daddy is someone I would want to talk to before I ventured into bear country. That must have been a hell of an experience. After surviving that it must be kinda hard for anything else to really bother you.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess some think BBs (Black Bears), like deer and pigs, now wear body armor. Wasn't too long ago a woman back east stopped a BB with a 38 SPL snubbie. Guess the BB forgot to gear up that morning......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I guess some think BBs (Black Bears), like deer and pigs, now wear body armor. Wasn't too long ago a woman back east stopped a BB with a 38 SPL snubbie. Guess the BB forgot to gear up that morning......
    Ha Ha Ha............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Black bear and brown bear are two very different animals. Sort of like the difference between a Chihuahua and a Rottweiler.

When I go to my cabin I frequently carry either a 1911 or Sig P220 in .45. The load is a 210 grain SWC from a Lee group buy we did many years ago (basically a 452423 minus the crimp groove and middle band) over 7.5 grains of Power Pistol.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Strange - 30 years ago I bought a surplus Smith & Wesson M1917/1937 Brazilian Contract .45ACP revolver; used that same boolit and powder charge in .45ACP cases. It was a hammering and accurate round. May think about dragging that pistol out of the back of the safe and carry it in the field with that load again. Thanks for reminding me.
    One of the revolvers I have used for edc is a 4” barreled Brazilian 1917. My choice of loads for it ( and all my ACP revolvers) is the SAECO 453 over a hardball dose of powder. The 453 is a 240 grain full wadcutter so plenty of bearing length and an impressive meplat. A very accurate and hard hitting load. I also use the group buy 452423 boolit with the same doses of powder.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that sounds like a good "repel boarders" load also.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    I'm going to a national park next month that does have bears and mountain lions. I'm not expecting to meet any of them but thought that I might want to look into a good round.

I'm looking more for the semi-auto over-wheel gun for a few reasons. One lighter to have to carry. Two are easier to reload and can carry more ammo. Have a 45 LC Redhawk and I'm sure it's gun enough for the job. Only thing is to have and carry more ammo.

Yes, a 10mm or 460 Rowland would be best but I'm dealing with the cards I have. Also, have you seen the cost of 45LC ammo? Gone down to $0.60 per round for cowboy rounds.

I know double-tap makes a 255gr 45ACP if anything I would like to get something near that or better! Thanks for the advice and help!
    In 1982 Gun Digest published “The 45 Auto Handbook”. It contained an article on bear stomper loads including one that took a 300 grain bullet up to 800 fps from a 1911.

See if you can find that publication.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    All good advice, but if you’re out with someone, all you need is a .22. Shoot your buddy in the leg and then run.

ChuckS1. Reminds me of the old question, "Which is faster; running mad or running scared?" What you suggest might cause your buddy to do both at the same time.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master

I load the 452460 Lyman 200 gr. SWC over 8.3 grains of Longshot in .45 Super brass. I shoot that load in 2 different guns, a 1911 with just a recoil spring change and on of the spring-loaded guide rods. This gun will also reliably shoot standard .45ACP set up like this. I also have a 5.25 Match Springfield XD that I shoot this load in. It's accurate, high capacity, and I have put a Powder River trigger kit in it. That handload is probably as good as anything you can buy for the .45 for large animals.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123