Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC's of Reloading

Boolit Buddy

ABC's of Reloading

My 52 yo Son wants to learn to reload. I remember a book called ABC's of Reloading, and know there were a number of different authors with different versions of the book. Is there one that was better than the rest in you Gents and ladies opinion. Thanks for your time. C.R.

Boolit Master

I think the Lyman manual does a pretty good job of explaining the basics, of course they are using their products, but the theory is the same.

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    Lyman 48th for me.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, bought a Lyman loading manual about 50 years ago and read it to learn the basics

Boolit Grand Master

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy

I had a copy of ABCs of reloading by Dean Grinell. It was good, i loaned it to a friend but it never came back.

Boolit Master
    i loaned it to a friend but it never came back
    Apparently we have the same friend, lol.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

Finding a good mentor is helpful too.

Boolit Master
    I recommend the LEE modern reloading second edition. Goes into great detail on just WHY certain steps and precautions are to be taken. It is the first manual I bought when I knew nothing. I have since acquired other reloading manuals, but none are as easy to understand as the LEE.

Boolit Buddy
    As others have stated the Lyman 48th or 49th gives lots of info for the beginner etc. But, there are many resources that can be referenced. Hardcopy is nice to have on hand. But digital can also be helpful. Start simple and go from there.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I’ll second the Lee but there are many good reloading books out there.

NRA published a large volume titled [ The New Handloader Guide ] - try used book dealers, ebay, + place a WTB ad here - good luck searching - iirc i got mine at either an estate sale or flea market -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Dean Grennell was the original author of "The ABCs of Reloading." Any book by DG is to be treasured and this one is worth searching for. For years, it was kept in the reloading room of my LGS as a reference.

Grennell was first to print a tip I still use. He called it the "three finger shift" for case handling in single station presses. For presses like the early RCBSs, that open to the left, one picks up a new case using thumb and first finger of the left hand, retrieves the case in the shellholder with that hand's first and second fingers, then snaps the new case into place. Right hand stays on the press handle. I align the shellholder opening to match this motion and use it now only for depriming with a universal die in a Partner press. Fast!

Boolit Buddy

upr45, That's the one I was thinking of, Dean Grinell. Thanks, I'll see if it's available anywhere. C.R.

Lymans are my favorites because they don't market actual reloading components. This means you will get a more varied body of data from different brand components.

That being said, I've got manuals from every major company, and I'm glad of it. It is almost unusual these days to sit down with a specific case, primer, powder, and bullet that is listed in ANY book in your hand. With many books it is easier to safely extrapolate a recipe with a different primer or whatever. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Every few years the ABC's of Reloading is revised and updated ... the long overdue 10th edition is out and is a great book for the new guy . From amazon ... 288 pages soft cover $17.50 .
    The latest edition of ABC's of Reloading will be the best ... has up to date info . but is not a Load Data Manual to get "recipes" from ...
    Add to the ABC's of Reloading a couple Reloading Manuals like the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual 4th edition and /or Lyman 51st Reloading Manual , maybe a Hornady and a Speer Manual and you will be set .
    There is also some great how-to and information chapters in the first few chapters of every Reloading Manual ... Do Not ignore these sources of knowledge .
    I can tell you everything you want/need to know ... Will Not be found all in one book ... just way too much to be contained in one book .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I would suggest a couple of old Lyman manuals for "loan" used book stores, etc. Then at shows buy used equipment for the outlaws or children. I bought mine a full set-up, each. They may have opened a book once. I gave the son-inlaw a full reloading setup a month ago, you still have the reloading setup, oh yes, Ok I am sending you bullets, powder prmers and brass back home with the daughter. So he calls, where are the primers, ah, the primers are in the primed brass, but I need primers......He is a YouTube expert...

Do not expect too much all at once.
    Last edited by Rapier; 01-05-2023 at 05:50 PM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    In addition to "ABCs of Reloading" I would also recommend various manufacture's manuals. You will have different loads to compare. Buy new as they come out. Keep old. The more data you have the better off you are. Some of it will be confusing but you will gradually figure out how to sort it out. A well equipt reloading room has a large manual shelf.

Boolit Grand Master
    I loaned a couple of moulds to the guy you loaned your books to, I believe

Boolit Buddy

After thinging about it, I have Lyman's 47th and 50th manual. I'll loan him one of them.C.R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast