PBcastcoWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting "Autopsy Pics" thread

Boolit Master
    Blew That One Apart Didn't Ya!!!

OK, although I've made and been in on several other kills with cast bullets, I only have two more documented and since we still have plenty of meat in the freezer, there won't be any this year. So here we go-

Data on the ammo: '92 Rossi 20" Carbine .357 Magnum .358" 162 gr. RNFPHP 9.5 Bhn a Miha .357 Carbine mold, MV ~1750 fps ~1700 fps impact velocity
    Approximate range to target and angle of the impact- ~40 yds. facing left and quartering towards
    Type and approximate size of the animal- Gilt, approximately 130 lbs.
    Entrance and exit wounds- Yes and no
    Affected organs- Didn't gut her, but probably high lungs
    Recovered bullet- Bullet entered high in the left shoulder
    Behavior of animal before the shot- This hog was leading a small sounder towards my property at dusk. She was but maybe 40 yds. out, but it was a very difficult shot as I was facing east and there was only a bit of light left on the horizon and the open sights blended in with her dark hair. She was suspicious, turned and ran back into the brush at the shot. I wound up hitting her high in the left shoulder and the bullet travelled through and came to rest under the hide behind the right shoulder.

(Dolly helped me find this one too!)

Had I known I was going to get a shot at a hog, I would've used the same bullet with a smaller HP cavity.

This one was just a couple of years ago-

Data on the ammo- Uberti Frisco 1873 4 3/4" Single Action .45 Colt .452" 2883 gr. SWC (Copy of RCBS 45-270-SAA), ACWW from Miha mold, MV 983 fps ~950 impact velocity
    Approximate range to target and angle of the impact- 41 yds. broadside
    Type and approximate size of the animal-1 1/2 year old buck
    Entrance and exit wounds- Yes and yes
    Affected organs- lungs
    Recovered bullet Not a chance
    Behavior of animal before the shot- Relaxed

This buck stepped out a little over 40 yds. away. When I shot he jumped and made it maybe 25 yds., and that was it. The bullet entered between two ribs on the left side, passed through the lungs then of course exited the far side.

Don't let anyone tell you that non-expanding cast bullets, especially SWC's, don't do internal damage-

As I said I've made many other cast bullet kills with a .44 Special SA and rifles such as a 135 year old '73 Winchester 38 WCF and an 1866 Uberti Sporting Rifle in 44 WCF, but they were just pass through kills and no photos were taken.

Hope all this helps!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    We once did some redneck ballistic testing. We took a problem bear that had been recently dispatched. We shot a number of different rounds into it, but the main thing I remember was the difference with a 45/70 405 and 300 grain hollow point. The 300 grain did a lot more damage than the 405 that usually passed through. It was a black bear, not a big brown, but it did prompt me loading alternating weights in my Marlin for bear protection.

If I were using a 45/70 for deer, I would go with lighter, faster hollow point boolit. The rounds we tested were all jacketed. I hadn’t discovered casting back then.

Boolit Bub
    I see a lot of cast n lubed boolits, anyone with PC boolits? Anyone shooting at a higher velocity?

I believe that cow moose was hit with a Peterbilt or other 18 wheeled cartridge. Very effective! Very popular choice for deer anytime you hunt the white line habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    I’ve seen every photo in this thread.

I’ve yet to see an “autopsy” depicted.
    Lots of NECROPSY, but no deer cutting up a deer! No bear eating a bear!
    A human cutting up a human is an “autopsy”. ( or cannibalism).

Words have meaning! Let’s use the correct ones!

Sorry for the soap box, but I spent 4 LONG years getting my degree in Wildlife Management (zoology), so a “Necropsy” is meaningful”. With 25yrs in Natural Resources law enforcement, I’ve attended several “Autopsy’s”, and performed hundreds of “Necropsies”....

And, killed at least 50 deer and pigs with a variety of my cast “boolits”.. Ranging from 50gr .224” to .573” Lee REAL from my Savage M220 20ga.
    Don't really mind getting a little info on the difference, LOL. Even at 71 I have an open mine but not so much that my brains fall out.

Boolit Buddy
    Texas by God gets the blue ribbon for habitat identification!

Boolit Master
    I have been a first responder-- and as you look all this- here is what we are taught as to heart attacks. A human has 6-8 minutes of air in his body which is why CPR can work for a while. Deer too will have air in their blood which can help them to run at times./ Plus veral Smith of LBT fame said that if we make too big of a hole -- ripped and torn- the animal dies more slowly --he believes there can be too much. I do not not know-- but deer can take a licking and keep on some times. I have used .308's, 30.06, .358, and 25.06. Of the bunch the 25.06 was to me the fastest killer. I have taken deer with .41s and .50 and 54's all with cast except of one deer it was a 170 JHC. I found LWN to work well.. and have had deer run even with a .54. we are it seems to me ... more impressed or disappointed with what we shoot deer with than they are. Placement and power both have to be there. I really like threads like this.

Boolit Master
    Me Too!

Shot this buck with my 458 socom. Hard cast 350gr from an accurate mold. Never found the bullet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	265C413A-5FFD-465D-8186-04CBBE12822B.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	309092

Name:	774705A9-7FFC-42E7-AC1C-E12FE030EF72.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	309093

Boolit Buddy
    Antelope, 189 yards, .223 Wylde (same as .223 rem), 55grn Hornady Soft Point Boat Tail.

Name:	Antelope 1.3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	309161

Name:	Antelope 1.4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	309162

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12