WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tree trouble

Cut down a 4 ft diameter red cedar tree here at the farm, had a real strange feeling about where to cut it, so cut about 2' above the ground, went right through. About 6" below the cut was a rail road spike and grown into the fork was a 1 ton truck coil spring, standing straight up. That sprng would have torn a sawmill blade all to pieces. Picked up the trunk with the grapple and that trunk went into the burn pit, too much junk in it to try and save. Those old farm place trees can be real bad.
    I have a tree farm, pines and hardwoods, bushytails steadily helping me plant trees. They plant some decent white oaks and pecans, just in the wrong place, hard to tain them to plant correctly.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Bub
    Notch it and bottle jack it.

Tannerite, esp if you're remote and have some beer and owe your friends a show. How about a sawzall and them demo blades? I use my sawzall more than most anything else pruning and cutting smaller trees around the place. It works real nice, sometimes I have to take a little longer making smaller wedge cuts but it gets the job done without having to fiddle with the chainsaw.

Boolit Master
    Dad's brother loged with mules, he bought a farm with some old 2nd growth white oak. He cut a 48"-52" white oak took to his saw mill. Round saw belt driven off a straight 8 Buick motor. Blade came to a stop, had to repair the belt where the pully burnt it off the motor. He split the log, it was full of lead balls that had been shot into it. No sign of a cabin ever being close to the tree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123