Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Powder Coated Bullets in a Pitted Bore

Powder Coated Bullets in a Pitted Bore

I've never shot any powder coated rifle bullets before. How do powder coated bullets hold up in a rifle barrel with a mildly pitted bore? Does the PC come off in the rough spots or stick to the inside of the barrel, and if so, what is the easiest way to remove it?

Boolit Bub
    Good question. I am building a 22WMR rifle from an old 22lr barrel that after deleading shows to be very pitted. I am wondering if I should go ahead and use it or get a different barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris T View Post
    Good question. I am building a 22WMR rifle from an old 22lr barrel that after deleading shows to be very pitted. I am wondering if I should go ahead and use it or get a different barrel.
    Not a good idea to use a 22LR barrel for a 22WMR build. Different bore diameters and likely different steels. You can get liners rated for 22WMR.
    https://chaszel.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flintstone View Post
    I've never shot any powder coated rifle bullets before. How do powder coated bullets hold up in a rifle barrel with a mildly pitted bore? Does the PC come off in the rough spots or stick to the inside of the barrel, and if so, what is the easiest way to remove it?
    Didn't someone recently recommend shooting soft lead enough to fill the pits in a pitted barrel? Seems like that would allow the use of powder coated boolets.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    This question does come up every now and again, I shoot my Mosin Nagant dated to 1939 and it does have a rough bore its full length, but the rifling is still strong so I shoot ed Harris 13 grains load in it for 1420 fps and although the barrel takes a while to clean with #9 Hoppes (Like 10 patchs) its still not pristine clean but clean enough, groups approx 3 1/2- 4" at 100 yards with 314299 pc bullets, I dont get leading in it just a lot of powder type fouling

Cheers