Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Don't know if you call this hunting but...

Don't know if you call this hunting but...

The other night I was awakened out of a deep sleep by a horrible smell. Being groggy, it seemed to me that I had left something on the stove and it was burning. As I became more awake I realized it was a skunk, and heading downstairs I discovered the smell was in every room of the house. So what to do? I got dressed and grabbed my nocturnal pest rifle, a Ruger 10-22 outfitted with a Pulsar thermal scope. I went outside and looked around. Sure enough there was something on the hill across the creek. I walked closer and saw that it was a possum. He was a big one, and we've had problems before with them getting in the barn and killing chickens, so I let him have it with a CCI subsonic hollow point round. After he settled down I heard a rustling in the leaves behind me. Turning, I looked through the scope and saw a skunk beating a hasty retreat. He had been nosing around in the yard and had gotten pretty close to me before he took off. I missed him with the first shot, but the second took him off his feet. Still, he managed to crawl down his hole. I was confident the hollow point had done it's job and he would die in the hole.

Seeing nothing else in the yard I decided to check the barn. Opening the chicken coop door I spied a large rat sitting in the corner. I shot him and another one took off, offering me no shot. After I deposited the rat in the trash I headed back to the house. As I went I was thinking that the subsonic rounds were pretty quiet and shouldn't disturb the neighbors. I was also thinking how nice it will be when my suppressor finally gets out of jail. Why I need government permission to protect my hearing is beyond me! Also, it's been nearly a year since my forms were submitted. I'm no lawyer, but I think it would be hard to argue that making someone wait a year for something isn't infringement. Anyway, the next night I went out again and got another skunk and another possum, but no rat. The warm weather definitely has them out and about!

Sounds like great fun. I guess you've got chickens---you mentioned a coop. They will attract every hungry critter within a mile. At one time I had maybe 60 chickens, plus some ducks and geese. I shot coons, possums, two foxes, and a bobcat, all of which showed up for a free meal. I'd always know that something was going on because the geese would start sounding the alarm.

DG

Yes, we have chickens.

So to elaborate on my earlier post, the next night I checked the barn first. Nothing! Then after I closed the chicken coop door I scanned the yard with the thermal. I saw something across the creek but it was too far to identify. I quickly walked down to the creek and saw another big possum. I waited for him to clear some brush and fired. I heard the bullet thump him and he struggled behind a tree. I then moved to get a better angle and he started running directly away from me, so I held on the middle of him and gave him another one. This one turned him broadside giving me a clear shot which I took, putting him down for good. I looked around and a few seconds later I saw something down at the end of the yard. There is a bridge where the creek goes under the road and something was on the embankment next to the bridge. It was about 80 yards away and I started moving in that direction, but whatever it was quickly disappeared into the weeds. Disappointed, I stopped and scanned around again. I immediately saw a large skunk directly across the creek from me, screened by brush. He was foraging along unaware of my presence so I stood still and let him come. When he hit an opening I fired and he hunched up and fell over. He struggled for a second or two, then rolled down the hill coming to rest on the creek bank. For whatever reason, neither this skunk nor the one from the prior evening sprayed when shot. I have read many cases where they have.

Anyway, I decided to leave the skunk where he was and continue down the creek toward the bridge. I had a feeling it was a muskrat, which my landlady has no tolerance for. She wants them gone. As I got within about 40 yards I saw something glowing in the weeds at the edge of the water. I kept closing the distance and it dove into the water. Blew it again! I got a little closer and kept watching, and a few seconds later the muskrat swam into the middle of the creek. I was hopeful I might get a shot, but too quickly he went under the bridge and was gone. I looked around for a while but it was no use. The muskrat is proving to be quite the elusive fellow! Hopefully If I see him again I can get close enough for a shot. At the time I was a little bummed, but couldn't really complain after nailing the other varmints. I walked around the house to check out the back yard. Seeing only a rabbit, which I had no reason to shoot, I retired for the evening.
    Last edited by ElCheapo; 01-05-2023 at 11:49 AM.

Good luck with the other rat.

A buddy had some in his shop he swore were college educated.
    They avoided any poison. They'd run around the shop like a dog would--- until they saw someone with a pellet gun.
    He thought about burning the place down just so he could shoot them as they ran out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Good luck with the other rat.

A buddy had some in his shop he swore were college educated.
    They avoided any poison. They'd run around the shop like a dog would--- until they saw someone with a pellet gun.
    He thought about burning the place down just so he could shoot them as they ran out.
    Yeah, I might have to sit and wait in the chicken coop. Can't do that until the weekend though.

Rodents, scavengers, reptiles, dumped pets, trespassers, etc, etc, etc. Seems like there's no end to the unwanted, uninvited and destructive 'guests' at a rural homestead.

I got home from Boy Scouts last night at about 8:30 pm. As soon as I got out of the car I caught the distinct aroma of skunk. After going inside for a few minutes I grabbed my rifle. As soon as I came back out I turned on the thermal scope and scanned around. Seeing nothing in the immediate area, I walked back through the yard. There was something back in the pasture. What initially looked like a small fox turned out to be my Landlady's semi-feral cat. I turned and headed back towards the house. Scanning to my right I caught sight of a large skunk. It was unaware of my presence and heading in my direction. I let the skunk get about 15 yards away and then shot him with a CCI Subsonic hollow point. This knocked him down, but he was still struggling. I put two more hollowpoints in his head and he quit moving around. At this point I could clearly see stuff coming out of his other end through the thermal and quickly decided to leave the area. After checking the chicken coop for rats and seeing none, I returned to the house. My coat smelled like skunk even though I didn't get sprayed! I hung it in the mud room and went inside. Now when I get off work I'll need to dispose of him, either in the trash or back in the pasture somewhere.

Boolit Mold
    Depending on what part of PA you are in I think that the 'Yotes will make short work of that skunk if you put him in your pasture.
    Used to shoot Groundhogs up around the Robesonia area and there were some howling music going on there when the fire and police rolled through the game lands at night going to an accident scene. Can't recall the name of the game land or the road. Just north of Reading.....

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Has anyone ever skinned a skunk? They look to have the potential to have a nice pelt. Perhaps it’s too horrible of a job to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Has anyone ever skinned a skunk? They look to have the potential to have a nice pelt. Perhaps it’s too horrible of a job to do.
    They're like anything else.
    If they have the stink on them, I've heard you can soak it in gasoline first, then soap & water, and start the tanning process..

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They're like anything else.
    If they have the stink on them, I've heard you can soak it in gasoline first, then soap & water, and start the tanning process..
    Good Lord. I'm out unless I'm starving or freezing to death. Neither of which describes my current situation.

Boolit Master
    At least you get the chance to take a year for a suppressor here in NY we can not even attempt to get one. I so need to move. oh and I am going with that was hunting.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Good Lord. I'm out unless I'm starving or freezing to death. Neither of which describes my current situation.
    When I had my timber wolf them and cats were his favorite food. The barn cats kept a close eye out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    You just use your favorite possum, nutria, coyote, porcupine, swamp rat, or raccoon recipe.
    Then it should taste like chicken.
    If you get a big one, it should make a nice hat.

EVERYONE!