Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: which mould for 44-40 SRC?

Boolit Buddy

which mould for 44-40 SRC?

I'm about to venture into reloading for a 1915 SRC, about to be chambered in 44-40. John Taylor will be doing the work and it'll likely be several months before I get it back. I don't have dies or brass yet but I'd like to hear what the crowd likes to shoot in their rifles. I did see a post that recommended a particular NOE mould but I can't find it again. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Accurate Molds - 43-215C, developed by the late John Kort as a BP slug but also works quite well with smokeless.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a round nose flat point RCBS mold for mine. I think it weighs 210 grains.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate 43-215C is well proven.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, so it wasn't a NOE but an Accurate, thanks. Does the throat need to be reamed any deeper to accommodate this boolit? It most likely will be the only mold I get for this gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mvintx View Post
    OK, so it wasn't a NOE but an Accurate, thanks. Does the throat need to be reamed any deeper to accommodate this boolit? It most likely will be the only mold I get for this gun.
    Probably not, it follows an older profile and will likely work in most rifles - but your mileage may vary. If JT is doing a full reline, you'll probably get a .429-.430 bore, instead of the tighter bores that were more common on original, period rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by mvintx View Post
    It shouldn't, but some do anyway.

John Kort designed the 43-215C after the Lyman 427098/42798 (of which the 42798 is a descendent of the 1880's Ideal handloading tool mold), but using a large lube grove for black powder. A large lube grove is not needed for black powder use but is preferred for shooting many consecutive rounds without having to wipe the bore. Back in 1874, Doc Pardee claimed to shoot 40 consecutive shots inside a 4" circle without wiping. This was done with Winchester factory swaged small lube groove bullets. Modern black powders seam to foul much worse than the original stuff.

Boolit Master

I have the old #42798 and the newer #427666, RCBS #44-200-FN & #44-200-CM. The crimping groove on the newer designs is a plus since We rarely load black powder these days, so there is no powder column to rest a bullets base on. I'm vary fond of all four for the .44-40.
    My Dad had an old #42498 that He cast from to load carefully hoarded Ballon head cases in an 1873 Carbine made in 1879.
    I also like the John Kort design #43-215C, it's great for either smokeless or BP.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    The 43-215c is a great proven design. I’ve only heard good things about it, and Mr. Kort absolutely knew what he was talking about with 44-40s

But I wanted a larger meplat, so I had Accurate make the 43-219A.
    Maybe a little heavier than “normal” and probably not enough lube capacity for holy black, but I’ve been getting excellent results in my Taylor’s 1873 SRC and Cimarron for SAA.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
    The 43-215c is a great proven design. I’ve only heard good things about it, and Mr. Kort absolutely knew what he was talking about with 44-40s

But I wanted a larger meplat, so I had Accurate make the 43-219A.
    Maybe a little heavier than “normal” and probably not enough lube capacity for holy black, but I’ve been getting excellent results in my Taylor’s 1873 SRC and Cimarron for SAA.
    Added you to the list!

Here is a list of 44 cal bullet molds by Accurate Molds....of course, you can see them on Accurate's website but I am trying to add the name of the person who designed what and why.

Boolit Buddy

I had a different problem. Have 3 molds for 200 gr. 44 cal Every mol throws a great bullet but when crimped in the groove they have OAL of 1.610. The carrier on my Uberti 73 SRC has a carrier that measures 1.59 (standard) Too long for proper function. The nose profile works fine for 44 Mag guns but too much nose for 44/40 Not feeling like buying a 4th mold, do not shoot it enough

GW

Boolit Buddy

Savvy Jack is the guru of 44/40 IMHO GW

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Savvy Jack is the guru of 44/40 IMHO GW
    I wouldn't go that far at all, but thanks. A lot of my information comes right from Outpost, John Kort and many others in the 44-40 community.

Easiest B/P cartridge I have worked with and because I didn’t have to do much to get very satisfying results .J.Kort,Outpost and Jack have done the hard part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F7AA9F5C-3B93-4D31-BE03-C6091041308F.jpg  
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 01-04-2023 at 07:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Savvy Jack, I appreciate it.

GW Wade, That was another reason for having Tom @ Accurate make the 43-219A, I wanted a wider “harder hitting” meplat but it needed a nose length of .300in. Anything longer is too long and would bind-up my ‘73 and Rossi ‘92.

+1 on Savvy Jack being a 44/40 guru…

Boolit Buddy
    Will either of the 43-219A or 43-215C work with PC or do they prefer lube in the grease groove?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Both bullets have large grease groove for adequate capacity to prevent foulout with black powder. I haven't fooled with powder coating. I use olive oil and beeswax 50-50 with black and 40-60 with smokeless.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven’t used Blk powder so I can’t say, but I’d trust Outpost recommendations.

With the 43-219A & Smokeless I’ve been using both(lube & PC) with great results. Im using powders from Smoke to powder coat some, & I’ve used BAC, Carnauba Red, and a 50/50 of these I mix. Lube was ordered from White Label Lube.

Boolit Master

I like the Lyman 427098.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

All time down here Elephant Brand (about 3F) was all that was available. Could only buy it in 1/4 pound quantities. Our 1st SRC was a well worn 2nd year 1892. Huge chamber / throat. Had to lap or old 42798 out to .443 cast of 40-1 to get 4" group at 25 yards.
    Last 1" at muzzle miked at 436+. So removed 1" of barrel. Now groups were 3". Muzzle was still at .433+ with no rifling.
    Took off another 1" and groups were under 2" at 25 yards sitting on the dry desert sand.
    That was 25 years ago. Served OK until a Saeco 433 (220 grain) appeared ad dropped rage scrap at .4335. Those 20 grains extra got groups to clover leafs at 25 yards (1.5 inches) ad would penetrate thick cactus bases where wild dogs loved to hide behind.
    Sadly 3 years ago that carbine (badly worn) was lost out on the mountains and never found.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.