Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Rolling Block No5 Barrel

Boolit Mold

Rolling Block No5 Barrel

Hello Having a issue with a RRB No5 I just got. The barrel I believe cannot be saved. Ive tried cleaning etc but the corrosion is just too much. So I was thinking of reboring to 45-70? But I have been searching for a barrel also with no luck. Ive found a No1 barrel but do not know if they are interchangeable. Any suggestions on what project I should go with? I would like to keep original as the rest of the rifle is in good shape.Reboring contacts. I am in Illinois.

Copied from my other reply:

I don't think any military Rolling Blocks I've owned or seen can be safely rebored to .45-70, unless they were a fairly large diameter cartridge to start with. The smokeless actions are normally in smaller calibers and have lighter barrels, so doubt yours can be rebored to a .45-70.
    I'd suggest you have it rebarreled to a heavier barrel, which means you'll have to decide if you're going to somehow adapt the old wood, or convert to a smaller Sporting style forearm. My choice would be the smaller Sporting forearm, and also put aa Sporting style buttstock on it too. CPA has some nice patterns for military actions that are heavier than Sporting actions, and their prices for semi inletted stocks are very reasonable.
    C. Sharps will be able to rebarrel your Rolling Block to .45-70, and they've done great work for me.

Boolit Master
    Marlinman93's advice is spot on as always. However, if you are not really attached to your current rifle and you simply want a 45/70 roller, I would sell the one you have and buy a Pedersoli, or one of the older Navy Arms or even someone else's project.

He can go to 8mm or reline it back to 7mm I have a 43 Spanish i was thinking of making it 45-70

Boolit Grand Master

One thing to keep in mind on reboring verse rebarreling or relining is todays steels are much better that some of the older steels. If you are just shooting cast it's not an issue but if you shoot a lot of jackets bullets it may become an issue.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

some of the old steels barrel like the Nickle steel barrels used by Winchester i think are way better then some of the newer one

Boolit Master

There's lots of different steels out there that barrels were made from. The Winchester nickel steel can be vary tough but then I have had some that drilled easy. Krupp steel barrels are much tougher. Most of the old BP barrels drill easy. Most modern barrels are made from 4140 heat treated steel and come in at 28-32 Rockwell C. The stainless barrels are made from 416 which is not all that tough but will not burn the throat out like a steel barrel. As Douglas use to say, the stainless barrels are less scratch resistant. In other words, don't clean with a stainless brush.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Copied from my other reply:

I don't think any military Rolling Blocks I've owned or seen can be safely rebored to .45-70, unless they were a fairly large diameter cartridge to start with. The smokeless actions are normally in smaller calibers and have lighter barrels, so doubt yours can be rebored to a .45-70.
    I'd suggest you have it rebarreled to a heavier barrel, which means you'll have to decide if you're going to somehow adapt the old wood, or convert to a smaller Sporting style forearm. My choice would be the smaller Sporting forearm, and also put aa Sporting style buttstock on it too. CPA has some nice patterns for military actions that are heavier than Sporting actions, and their prices for semi inletted stocks are very reasonable.
    C. Sharps will be able to rebarrel your Rolling Block to .45-70, and they've done great work for me.
    I sent a #5 metal prepped action to C Sharps for a 40-65 barrel, bluing and color case hardening. They cosmetically cleaned up the hammer and breech block. I am very pleased with the results and the price. I then hand fitted the semi inletted wood and finished it with about 6 coats of Lin-Speed myself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40-65 #5 Rolling-Left.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	309774

Boolit Master
    I had a no. 5 rebarreled with a 28" Douglas barrel. The 7mm barrel was too thin for reboring. Had to get a new fore-end which accepted the larger barrel.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

I'm in the middle of my Rolling Block project, and waiting for a semi inletted buttstock from CPA rifles now. They have very good prices, and didn't change their price when I needed special inletting for my build. I ordered their pistol gripped stock for a thicker military action, but lower tang inletted to fit an original Sporting lower tang.
    Most places charge more to begin with, and extra for special orders on top of that.

i would like to see it sounds nice