Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: sizing powder-coated bullets

Boolit Bub

sizing powder-coated bullets

How far can you size powder-coated bullets in one step? Can I size down from .457 to .452 in one operation, for example, or do I need to go in a couple of steps (i.e. .457 to .454, then .454 to .452)?
    Personally, I'd rather learn from other peoples' mistakes.

I'd use one intermediate step, and use sizing lube as part of the process.
    (EX: I take 458/9 to 454, wash the lube off, then PC, and final size to 452 for the Bushmaster)

I'd use one intermediate step, and use sizing lube as part of the process w/ a Lee Push-Through.
    (EX: I take 458/9 to 454, wash the lube off, then PC, and final size to 452 for the Bushmaster)

Boolit Bub
    That makes sense to me. The only change I'd have to make would be the sequence:These are already powder-coated.

Sizing lube is your friend...

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    How far can you size powder-coated bullets in one step? Can I size down from .457 to .452 in one operation, for example, or do I need to go in a couple of steps (i.e. .457 to .454, then .454 to .452)?
    It will depend on the smoothness of the sizing die but 0.005" would probably be my max. Going 0.454" first then down to 0.452" is better. Yes something like OneShot is very helpful.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Man
    I agree with other posters, you should size down an intermediate step. I have been using this dry lubricant for about a year and the stuff is amazing. It is a little pricey, but it goes a long, long way, I don't expect to order any more for a few years at the rate I use it. Get some on your fingertips and they are slippery for a few days. I mix it with a little rubbing alcohol and "shake coat" the bullets before sizing. Let it dry for a few minutes for the alcohol to flash off and it leaves a slick dry coating of the HBN behind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck

^^^^^^^^
    MICROLUBROL 1 oz Hexagonal Boron Nitride hBN Powder Ultra FINE 0.5 µ Micron
    The hexagonal form corresponding to graphite is the most stable and soft among BN polymorphs, and is therefore used as a lubricant and an additive to cosmetic products
    Interesting article:
    https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download...le-file/226224

Sounds like a good substitute for Motor Mica

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    I have done it in 1 it's only .005 not a big deal
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    For the powders I use, I find that the longer the powder sets, the harder they are to size. I would recommend trying to size some fairly quickly after they have cooled and see what you get. I think you will be surprised at how much you can size them down.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    For the powders I use, I find that the longer the powder sets, the harder they are to size. I would recommend trying to size some fairly quickly after they have cooled and see what you get. I think you will be surprised at how much you can size them down.
    They'll be sized virtually right away, so no worry. I'm studying the whole idea of Bullet Corp coatings at the moment, but getting the product is a problem, so I may still have to revert to the powder-coat option.

Boolit Master

I always use a sizing lube (usually Bag Balm from the Costco Pharmacy) when sizing my Powder Coated Boolits.

Sizing is much easier with the lube applied. I can also tell the difference after sizing visually. An unloobed boolit will show dark coloration on the driving bands and top edge of the gas check; whereas a very lightly lubed boolit sized will have almost a polished mirror finish of the powder coat color on the drive bands where reduced.

This applies to when I am using Lee Boolit Sizer dies or the NOE boolit sizing dies.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A lot depends on how hard the alloy is. I’ve experimented sizing down that much before. I suggest doing it in as many steps as possible. That’s why I like my NOE sizer with all the different sizing bushings available. As you go down in size, you may have to decrease the push rod diameter too. You will lose most of the boolit’s grooves, but with PC, that won’t matter. I haven’t gone down that far with PCed boolits, but plain lead ones often had fins of lead hanging off the bases.

Boolit Master
    I agree. Sizing down that much with a harder alloy (I use Lyman #2) is tough.

Boolit Bub
    Since I'll have several sizes of die anyway, I think I'll make it easier on the bullets, the press, and my arm and do an intermediate step, whichever coating I end up using. Ditto the lube. Now I just have to figure out if I'm going to be able to overcome the shipping issue to determine which coating.
    Last edited by asdf; 01-14-2023 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    About the only service my Rockchucker sees is sizing boolits. When I experimenting maximum sizing, I had to bolt my steel framed reloading bench to the floor.

Boolit Master
    LOL, yep. My bench is lagged to the studs in the wall.