Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: SciFi Blaster

SciFi Blaster

I decided I needed something a bit different for the New Year!
    I thought, "You Know?" I think I need a SciFi Blaster.
    Perhaps like Han Solo, but perhaps a bit different.
    Please excuse my lousy photography.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SciFi Blaster.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	308806

Boolit Buddy
    Let's hope you get better accuracy than a storm trooper!

Quote Originally Posted by 1I-Jack View Post
    Let's hope you get better accuracy than a storm trooper!
    I just hope it works.

Started on a DL-44 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Started on a DL-44 myself.
    OK, I bite.
    What is a DL-44?
    pictures?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4EBD43FD-703A-458B-BAC3-C55955A0B47A.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	308864The ‘96 Broomhandle Mauser looking blaster that Han Solo carried is called a DL-44. Got mine started but have to build an extension tube on the front of the scope, faux scope mount for the right side and a faux hammer and safety that will also be the charging handle. Also need to make a pair of grips. I’m using a Sharps Bros lower and a dpms slabside upper. It will be a .22. Bought the muzzle brake and mauser grip frame from Canto Arms. Planning on shortening a black dog mag and adding something to make it larger all the way around. Eventually the whole thing will get painted and distressed so it all matches.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 01-04-2023 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4EBD43FD-703A-458B-BAC3-C55955A0B47A.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	308864The ‘96 Broomhandle Mauser looking blaster that Han Solo carried is called a DL-44. Got mine started but have to build an extension tube on the front of the scope, faux scope mount for the right side and a faux hammer and safety that will also be the charging handle. Also need to make a pair of grips. I’m using a Sharps Bros lower and a dpms slabside upper. It will be a .22. Bought the muzzle brake and mauser grip frame from Canto Arms. Planning on shortening a black dog mag and adding something to make it larger all the way around. Eventually the whole thing will get painted and distressed so it all matches.
    That sounds really neat!
    Between you and me it seems we are about the only ones interested in stuff like this.
    My project started many years ago, perhaps 15 to 20.
    I tried my hand at machining a 0% lower and finally got tired of it and it sat and sat.
    I decided to build a buffer less AR pistol and thought my old 0% project would be perfect.
    Unfortunately, I made a lot of mistakes along the way, but being a frustrated WECSOGSer, I decided I can make this work.
    Pretty happy with it so far, guess I will find out if it works when the weather gets warmer.

I’m a big Star Wars fan. I think your project is cool, but not one I would ever attempt. Good luck, let us know how it works.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Mold
    This is right up my alley! I happen to be addicted to movie prop firearms. I have a DL44 (c96), an E11 (sterling), a DLT19 (mg34), and an A180 (Luger) all in various stages of completion. Also working on a stand in for the Bergman 1894 used in the mandalorian based on a ruger mk3. But those are just my Star Wars guns!

This reminds me of the blaster cassian andor carries in Rogue One, you can pull some inspiration from that if you so choose.
    “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact”

I was just making an AR pistol, never meant it to be a copy of a movie prop, not that I don't think they are not neat or anything.
    I was never crazy about the buffer tube hanging out the back, so decided to jet rid of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the pre-COVID days the NRA Museum at Fairfax had a temporary exhibit of fantasy/movie prop guns. It was fun while it lasted, but had been replaced by a more “serious” exhibit the last time I was in. I don’t know whether a photographic record exists.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

There are realistic parts available that drop in an AR upper and lower but imo don’t look good as you still see the AR shape not a C96 shape. I plan to mill off the picatiny rail except for what is needed for the offset mounts. I also bought an AR10 charging handle that will get a steel angled insert that the faux hammer and safety will be mounted to. The end plug will have a magnet to hold the charging handle forward. I’ll cut the bottom off the magazine as a 10/15 rd black dog is way too long. I’ve done a Winchester Model 12 Trenchgun from a fieldgun too.

Dang shame you destroyed that Broom handle, I know it is yours to do, Those things are High dollar for collectors. May be in the high $5000 range.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    Dang shame you destroyed that Broom handle, I know it is yours to do, Those things are High dollar for collectors. May be in the high $5000 range.
    I don't think anyone destroyed a broom handle except perhaps George Lucas.

One could always build something from scratch.Attachment 308917

I probably should not have called this thread "SciFi Blaster"
    I never meant to make a prop gun.
    But that's ok.
    I may make a new thread just titled AR pistol and put my build details documenting the trials and tribulations of trying to build a lower from just a 0% casting.
    Also, how I get away with not having a buffer tube.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I wouldn’t say I destroyed it.. but it won’t ever be a broom handle again.. This is the way

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I probably should not have called this thread "SciFi Blaster"
    I never meant to make a prop gun.
    But that's ok.
    I may make a new thread just titled AR pistol and put my build details documenting the trials and tribulations of trying to build a lower from just a 0% casting.
    Also, how I get away with not having a buffer tube.
    I got all excited about the sci fi! Ar pistols are cool too, I’m actually quite interested in how you got it setup with out the buffer.

The way to get around not having the buffer tube is use an AR bolt carrier that incorporates the recoil spring(s) within the carrier itself.
    There is a company called Law Tactical that makes a folding stock adaptor for the AR, this allows you to fold the stock to the side.
    They developed an All-in-one carrier that allow you to fire the gun with the stock folded.
    They say you MUST use their folding adaptor with their hybrid carrier.
    I have no desire to have a folding stock rifle SBR or standard length but did want a buffer less pistol.
    Kind of like going to Burger King, I wanted it my way.
    My original thought was to use a portion of a buffer tube to fill the space in the rear threaded area to properly support the back of the carrier.
    This would also retain the plate with the castle nut to hold in the detent and spring for the rear take down pin.
    I remembered I had a partially machined 0% lower that I had never finished from many years ago.
    I figured I would just bore out the back to fit the carrier, which I did.
    Then drilling all the other little holes is where my troubles began, it seems I can't drill a hole in the location I want if my life depended on it.
    That is a story for another time.
    Back to Law Tactical.
    They produce what they call an "AR INTERNAL CARRIER" or "ARIC", neat acronym, sounds like "Eric".
    Actually, they make two versions one for suppressed and one for unsuppressed.
    The only difference as far as I can tell is the power of the springs.
    They also state you can use the unsuppressed version with a suppressor if you use an adjustable gas block.
    It seems that Brownell's is the sole distributor of these, so far anyway.
    I was told there were other companies making similar units, but nobody seemed to be able to tell me who.
    These carriers very pricey, about as much to give you a heart attack.