RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Striker-fired .45 ACP accuracy?

Boolit Master

Striker-fired .45 ACP accuracy?

What kind of accuracy could one expect from SF .45 ACP?

Is there a particular make/model that stands out accuracy-wise?

Boolit Master

My ruger americans will shoot easy 3 inch groups,at 25 yards.
    2 inch groups are never a surprise.

Boolit Buddy

I have a police trade in Glock 21, it's accuracy surprised me. Lots of 2" groups at 25yds with cast

Boolit Buddy
    I have a glock 41 thats more accurate than me. It retired me from carrying 1911s. It shoots lyman 452374 like they were made for it.

Vendor Sponsor

Kahr CW45 is surprisingly accurate for a compact pistol.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

My S. & W .45 Shield is a keeper...it is deadly accurate and carried daily!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have a Walther PPQ in .45ACP The accuracy is good, and I shot a lot of IDPA matches with it and placed as good as I could with my 1911.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Is there a particular make/model that stands out accuracy-wise?
    No, there really isn't. They're almost all modified Browning lockworks, mostly plastic frames, and mass-produced with the intention of delivering a reliable, combat-accurate service pistol. That said, the robots typically do very nice work, and unless you're routinely winning NRA Bullseye matches, they pretty much all shoot better than we can shoot them.

The mechanical accuracy of the pistol is going to be in how consistently the barrel locks to the slide, and everybody pretty well has that nailed down. If one wanted to nit-pick about trigger quality, this is a striker-system's Achilles heel since there's inherently more potential for frictional drag than with an old school sear/hammer unit. The thing to look for there would be how consistently the slide returns to battery IN RELATION TO THE FRAME, since that might have some bearing on how the trigger parts interface with the firing pin parts. Again though, there probably isn't a great deal to choose - yes, you might be able to feel some wiggle in the slide/frame fit if you want to grab the slide and fiddle, but that isn't what's happening when the gun actually fires. In that case, the slide slams forward and the parts get forced to where they're going to lay. The key to repeatability there would be to NOT ride the slide forward when chambering a round - let it slam home and the pistol' lockup won't know the difference between a manually-chambered round and an automatically-chambered one.

For my money, make it a Glock.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    My ruger americans will shoot easy 3 inch groups,at 25 yards.
    2 inch groups are never a surprise.
    I have read in many places that the .45 version does extremely well. It looks to me like Ruger designed it to be a .45 from the ground up and just modified it for the 9mm.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    No, there really isn't. They're almost all modified Browning lockworks, mostly plastic frames, and mass-produced with the intention of delivering a reliable, combat-accurate service pistol. That said, the robots typically do very nice work, and unless you're routinely winning NRA Bullseye matches, they pretty much all shoot better than we can shoot them.

The mechanical accuracy of the pistol is going to be in how consistently the barrel locks to the slide, and everybody pretty well has that nailed down. If one wanted to nit-pick about trigger quality, this is a striker-system's Achilles heel since there's inherently more potential for frictional drag than with an old school sear/hammer unit. The thing to look for there would be how consistently the slide returns to battery IN RELATION TO THE FRAME, since that might have some bearing on how the trigger parts interface with the firing pin parts. Again though, there probably isn't a great deal to choose - yes, you might be able to feel some wiggle in the slide/frame fit if you want to grab the slide and fiddle, but that isn't what's happening when the gun actually fires. In that case, the slide slams forward and the parts get forced to where they're going to lay. The key to repeatability there would be to NOT ride the slide forward when chambering a round - let it slam home and the pistol' lockup won't know the difference between a manually-chambered round and an automatically-chambered one.

For my money, make it a Glock.
    Thanks, that’s a lot of useful info and pretty much confirms what I thought.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a couple of Springfield's, an XDS and XDM in 45acp. Both are more than combat accurate especially the XDM. Biggest detriment to the accuracy is the triggers, but such is the nature of the beast with striker fired. Both are utterly reliable even with 200 grain cast SWC reloads. Of course neither will hold a candle up against my Kimber custom shop 1911 target pistol for accuracy. That pistol will put a magazine full in a silver dollar size ragged hole at 25 yards from a ransom rest.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Kahr CW45 is surprisingly accurate for a compact pistol.
    I second this.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    I second this.
    Another vote here too!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    Have a couple of Springfield's, an XDS and XDM in 45acp. Both are more than combat accurate especially the XDM. Biggest detriment to the accuracy is the triggers, but such is the nature of the beast with striker fired. Both are utterly reliable even with 200 grain cast SWC reloads. Of course neither will hold a candle up against my Kimber custom shop 1911 target pistol for accuracy. That pistol will put a magazine full in a silver dollar size ragged hole at 25 yards from a ransom rest.
    +1 to this^^^ My XDM is spot on at 25 steps and shoots tiny groups but that trigger is horrendous.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have/carry striker pistols. None are as accurate as decent a 1911.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I have read in many places that the .45 version does extremely well. It looks to me like Ruger designed it to be a .45 from the ground up and just modified it for the 9mm.
    Im surprised they aint more popular, 10 rds of 45,in a gun that refuses to jam,no safties or stupid decocker things,,and a trigger that is really not that bad,far from a 1911,but usable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    Im surprised they aint more popular, 10 rds of 45,in a gun that refuses to jam,no safties or stupid decocker things,,and a trigger that is really not that bad,far from a 1911,but usable.
    I think a lot of people look at the Ruger, then look at the Glock 21 with 13 rd magazine. Speed and capacity sells.

In reality I think Ruger nailed it. The big difference is the grip, which is subjective. The Ruger angle and shape are miles ahead of Glock in my opinion.

The bigger surprise to me is the FN FNX isn't more popular. 16 rounds of 45 acp in a handgun not that much bigger or wider than a 1911, and it is lighter, at least unloaded. I realize it is a hammer gun, but it just goes to show popularity doesn't always mean something is good or bad.

My Glock 30 is surprisingly accurate for its size and very manageable for the recoil.

Boolit Master
    I've been looking at one of those in the LGS. Very tempting.