Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teflon tape ?

Teflon tape can work, the problem is getting the correct thickness in any number of wraps. It's elastic, so the thickness can vary as you wrap, and you will need a lot more wraps compared to paper to get the same thickness.

There are much simpler, more effective ways.

Cash register rolls, the non-thermal variety, work well.

Boolit Master
    Teflon tape may be better on a plain smooth sided bullet ,or on a lightly knurled one.....I recall back in the day there was big fuss about teflon coated pistol bullets,claimed they went straight thru police body armor..........all the gang bangers got AR and AKs now,which certainly go thru armor,coated or not.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I recall back in the day there was big fuss about teflon coated pistol bullets,claimed they went straight thru police body armor..........all the gang bangers got AR and AKs now,which certainly go thru armor,coated or not.
    Yeah, that was back when they were telling us that glocks could pass through metal detectors. Neither one is remotely true.

Boolit Master
    Wolfdog -

Howdy !

I mentioned the use of Dymo label maker taper, for .35 Remington in a M-336 XLR.

Please be advised:
    The tape I used proved to be too thick to allow proper feeding of the loaded " tape " cartridge into the chamber. Loaded cartridge neck OD was too great.

I am running .010" neck wall thickness, and the label maker tape was too thick... even though the swaged lead SPBT I used mic's right @ .350" diam. These boots I pulled from saboted .45 calibre muzzle loader rounds.

I was able to shoot these w/ the case in a " Neckless " configuration, as an experiment.... and it worked for me.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    Wolfdog .

OOPs... forgot to mention..... the DYMO label maker taper is self-stick Nylon tape.

With regards,
    357Mag

Snooky Williamson in his book "Winchester Lever Legacy" had some success with it. However, it
    is prohibitively expensive and the results may be questionable.

However, in "
    Getting a Stand" and the Buffalo Harvest, other hide hunter books: there is no mention of Teflon.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 450 Fuller View Post
    Snooky Williamson in his book "Winchester Lever Legacy" had some success with it. However, it
    is prohibitively expensive and the results may be questionable.

However, in "
    Getting a Stand" and the Buffalo Harvest, other hide hunter books: there is no mention of Teflon.
    I have Snooky Williamson's book ... his results were a success . No leading and improved accuracy ... He was granted a US Patent on the method .
    A Forty-Three foot long roll of 1/2" wide tape is $8.00 at Wally Mart ... that's 516 inches of tape (allow 2" per boolit = 258 boolits ... for $8.00 !
    it is not expensive to Teflon-Tape wrap a boolit ... might be cheaper than powder coating . It is a bit time consoming but no more so than Paper Patching .
    If you are into reloading Winchester Lever Action rifles this obscure book is a very interesting read ... lots of loads tested and photo's .
    Snooky isn't a Cajun but is a Louisiana Boy and quite a character !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Ok then. Nobody here has shot with Teflon thread tape. Wolfdog, commence your science.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Bigslug, I tried it long ago with the thinner teflon tape. It worked as advertised, but it was a small sample.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried teflon tape on a smooth sided, grooveless, 30 caliber clone of 311291. I experimented with a wire wound bullet in the early '90s, wrote it up in Handloaders Bullet Making Annual (1991 or 1992). As a side project, I teflon wrapped a bunch of the bullets and shot them in my 30 WCF Model 54 and I think some in a 30-06. As I recall, they were accurate enough and there was no leading. If I remember right, I gave them two wraps of teflon tape and then ran them through a .308 sizer. It wasn't an exhaustive test but showed what could be done or expected.

Boolit Master
    Might work then if I need a few thou thicker bullet than I can cast then.
    I have a 30-30 that has a 0.300 bore and 0.315" grooves.
    I think it would not have shot too well with std jacketed ammo.

I a tried wrapping Teflon tape once but couldn’t get an even width and wrap of the bullet, so never bother to test it.
    I also tried aluminium foil. To the same effect.

I would tend to put the nose in a tube that held it then spin that while trying to wrap instead of trying to push the bullet along a bench if I chose to go down that rabbit hole again.

I have enough trouble with wrapping paper.
    Ha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12