Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 20 gauge slug molds for sale.

20 gauge slug molds for sale.

I've got the 20 gauge Lyman Pellet slug that fits in a wad to make it a sabot, and looking for some additional 20gauge slug molds.

I've heard the foster style Lyman slugs in 12 & 20 gauge are terrible. They are to undersized to fit tight in the barrel and a bit to large to shoot in a wad/sabot & that the slug skirt is to thin in the rear. The consensus seems like due to these issues accuracy is terrible and can't really be fixed. If someone knows different on these Lyman foster slugs, please let me know. Otherwise I plan to stay away from this mold.

I've seen some Russian slug molds I'd love to buy/get for the 20gauge, but can't find any for sale.

Anyone know of some good 20gauge slug molds?

Boolit Buddy
    If your gun is fully Rifled, try a solid design. It avoids the Wad inconsistencies, and Skirt problems.
    It will weigh more, but be easier to get to shoot well. I'm guessing it will come in around 400-450 Grains.
    You could have it hollow pointed to reduce weight. Hollow base seems to be more problematic with Yaw.

Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Buddy
    Have you considered a round ball mold? Very easy to cast and gives the best accuracy out of a rifled barrel.

My 12 gauge is fully rifled barrel. However my kids 20 gauge is a smooth bore but…..we did get him a Carlson rifled choke tube. Seems to shoot the Lyman sabot ok….but it’s just iron sites. Looked into a rifled barrel with a scope mount….holy cow….$265. I only paid $200 for his mossberg youth 88 20 gauge. Figured at that price I’d be better off To buy him another gun.
    Last edited by Agronomist_at_ia; 01-03-2023 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FullTang View Post
    Have you considered a round ball mold? Very easy to cast and gives the best accuracy out of a rifled barrel.
    I thought about it….but wasn’t sure which size to get…..575 seems like a lot of guys use it….