MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: forming 222 rem. brass

Boolit Master

forming 222 rem. brass

is there a big market for 222 rem. brass, seeing their is worldwide shortages?

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't noticed any big demand for triple deuce brass. I tried to sell a couple of hundred reformed 223 brass a couple of months ago and had no takers.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I seriously doubt there is a big market for 222. The 223 rem is much more popular. I would imagine that 222 brass is only made on seasonal runs.

How many 222 rem rifles do you see at gun shops or gun shows?

I have formed 222 from 223 with one pass in the sizing die and a trim. Necks were fine on my brass and did not need to be turned.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I haven't noticed any big demand for triple deuce brass. I tried to sell a couple of hundred reformed 223 brass a couple of months ago and had no takers.
    did you form them yourself? and did you reload and test them?

Boolit Master

I have an intermediate die that is made for forming 222 from 223 brass that works well. It is another step but I don’t have crushed shoulders.

Boolit Grand Master

I formed them myself and shot a couple of hundred out of one of my Contenders. It is a simple, one and done deal. Size, trim, load and shoot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

You might try a one time ad for 100 of them on Gunbroker and see how it goes.
    If they didn't sell, it's a caliber you shoot anyway, so it wouldn't be a loss.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I formed them myself.... It is a simple, one and done deal. Size, trim, load and shoot
    same here, except that you also have to remove the primer crimp!
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    .............I have formed 222 from 223 with one pass in the sizing die and a trim. Necks were fine on my brass and did not need to be turned.
    +1
    Same simple process for me except I anneal as a final step. They work fine fine in my rifles & I don't see any difference in accuracy versus original .222 cases.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

With a decent 222 rifle, capable of bench rest accuracy, the last thing you may want to convert to 222 is military 223 brass, if commercial brass is available. Way more work than size and trim. Military brass is not intended to be reloaded, so tolerances in the military brass is broad, thus adds a few steps to get the good accuracy that the 222 is capable of.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Rapier is correct, the .222 brass is readily available. I resized the .223 military brass more as a learning experience.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Having maybe 10,000 pcs of once fired Lake City brass, and making them into 222 and 221 brass, I have no issues making and shooting either. This brass makes great varmint ammo that in my older 722 re-barreled varmint rifles shoots well into 1/2 inch and better.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    With a decent 222 rifle, capable of bench rest accuracy, the last thing you may want to convert to 222 is military 223 brass, if commercial brass is available. Way more work than size and trim. Military brass is not intended to be reloaded, so tolerances in the military brass is broad, thus adds a few steps to get the good accuracy that the 222 is capable of.
    LC 5.56 is some of the most consistent 5.56/.223 brass manufactured. Same for M852 and M118LR 7.62mm. That includes Lapua and Norma. The best runs of Lapua and Norma are outstanding but they have both put out some batches that were below their normal standards. I have yet to find or hear of substandard LC 5.56, M852 and M118LR. As a Military rifle team captain and coach I have issued as much as 45,000 rounds a year for service rifle competition. Almost every one of those 7.62 or 5.56 was later reloaded for 600 and 1,000 yard competitions.

Not bad for broad tolerance brass not intended to be reloaded.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-03-2023 at 03:59 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Back in the old days when 5.56 was just becoming available, I had a M722 Rem "duce". All it ever shot was formed cases from the early 5.56mm "prototype" ammo. Headstamped .223 REM-UMC. No crimp and was good brass. The M722 is gone but a M70 .222 is alive and well. I would still prefer the properly headstamped brass since it's available./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I doubt I'll ever shoot my .222 barrel out but if I did, would I really lose any performance Rebarreling to .223? Assuming .223 fits the magwell. Haven't checked but it's something I ponder time to time.

If only I had a die to reform loaded .223 rounds I might shoot it more.