Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Huntsman NEF WITH SMOKLESS

Huntsman NEF WITH SMOKLESS

I have a nearly new NEF Huntsman 50 cal ML gathering dust and my question is, can I mount a 44 or 30-30 barrel and load it to mild pressures without hurting the reciever or the Murf, for that matter. Anybody done this?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not at all familiar with the technical side of this question, but somewhere backing my foggy mind I got the impression that the two receivers were slightly different, by design, to prevent non-BP barrels from attaching. Have you actually linked one up?

No I have not but I have read that they would fit but internet advice is pretty sketchy
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the NEF Huntsman II's will accept a CF barrel. Whether it fits is just a crap shoot, just like buying an NEF barrel and hoping it fits your receiver. I believe BATFE had a ruling that you had to Fill out a 4473 for the gun, just because a CF barrel could be fitted.

The Huntsman has a different firing pin I believe but don’t know for sure. It seems that it would- to set off percussion caps. Past that the Huntsman receiver would stand 30-30 or .44 mag or 45-70 but nothing hotter- if the barrel fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont remember if I filled out a 4473 when I bought it since it has been several guns ago. I kno that the factory wanter you to send your gun in for a factory fit on smokeless frames but I have heard of people just putting one on and having success. If I knew anyone with a rifle barrel, I'd try it for fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I'm not at all familiar with the technical side of this question, but somewhere backing my foggy mind I got the impression that the two receivers were slightly different, by design, to prevent non-BP barrels from attaching. Have you actually linked one up?
    I saw that you just bought one today. When you get it, please fill us in on the fit and performance and which frame you put it on.

The Huntsman was the same receiver as the shotguns or Pardners. The Sidekick, which looked very similar was a muzzleloader only. There is a very active and informative group on this topic over on Graybeard.