Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Need mounding recommendations

Need mounding recommendations

Gentlemen
    I just acquired a smith &wesson 29 in 44 mag. I'm looking for boolit mold recommendations. This will be mainly for target shooting, but I'd like a boolit that could also serve as a hunting round. I'd prefer to stay pretty close to 240 grains if possible

Snipe

Boolit Buddy
    I really like my Noe 240 gr wfn.It shoot well for me . And I hear it’s a great hunting bullet I haven’t got to use it yet as a hunting bullet.But I hope to remedy that someday!

I think you will find that with the revolver just about any bullet that is sized properly for the gun will work great.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

My own conclusion has been that life is better with tumble lube, and I've been shifting my molds away from conventional lube grooves wherever it makes sense. I designed the Accurate Molds 43-255D to meet that requirement; with a nose length to work in both Rugers and Smiths; and went with a moderate meplat of .30" so it could be a hunter but without sacrificing the ability to shoot distance (which can happen when you get aggressive with the front end). Bascially, I wanted an LBT LFN but as a tumble lube bullet that I could douse in 45/45/10 and be done. Got 'em cast. . .now I just need to get around to loading and shooting some of them. . .

For a 240 grainer, I'd go for the Accurate 43-240AT (and I very nearly did). Pretty much the same as my thought process - just lighter. Measure your cylinder throats and barrel groove diameter to figure out what to have Tom set your bullet spec for.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

30 years ago I bought a Lee 44TL240 SWC mould for $25. It has performed perfectly in .44 Special, Magnum, and 44-40 handguns and rifles. I would start with one of these moulds, then buy a fancier mould if still needed.
    The Tumble Lube bullets work great with powder coating as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The RCBS 250 grain Keith bullet, plain base, was very good to me in my 29 and 10" Contender. Superb bullet!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I bought the Lee 430 240 TL double cavity mold 2 or 3 years ago. It is quite accurate in my Ruger NM Blackhawk sitting on 6.8 grains of Unique.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

In my 29-2 4" the Lee 240 gr GC mold makes a really accurate boolit. It has been in my SRH Ruger, Hand ejector 44 spl, a S&W model 24 and in a 629. My only complaint is the small, shallow crimp groove. Any mold that cast a close clone of the Keith 429421 Lyman is a good choice as well. Tom @ Accurate makes a duplicate of that one and his work is as good as it gets. My personal choice is 3 cavities and Lee only makes 2 and 6 cavity molds. Older 29's have larger cylinder throat diameters and the newer ones are a snug .429 in my experience but what ever yours is, that is what you should size to so measuring them will help if you order a custom mold which is a big plus. Keep us posted.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have loaded ~5,000 Lyman 429421 and found them to provide everything I need in my 29-2. I size and lube them to .429 in my RCBS LAM. For lube I use LBT Soft Blue. I have an RCBS Keith style gas check mould I don't use. If you are interested in buying it PM me.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Grand Master

Along with the classic 240 gr SWC (aka Keith bullet) I have found Ranch Dog's design 240 gr. RNFP to be pretty accurate in my 5, 44 Magnums (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Ranch+Dog+...ps81c5e3e0.jpg). I believe NOE and Arsenal Molds make a clone. RD designed them for hunting but produced an accurate, easy to cast and lube bullet (I dip lube mine in 45-45-10).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

For that weight range-- You'd have a hard time finding one that didn't do well.

Back in my 4" S&W model 629 days, I had a plain base Lyman Keith style 240 gr SWC that my it really liked.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I've been casting and shooting Lyman #429421 for almost 60yrs.
    It's being largely forgotten these days with the increased interest in .44Mag carbines. True SWC's do not feed well in those same .44Mag carbines. Hence the demand for the RNFP. And if you want to punch holes in paper, it has no peer. Elmer Keith killed hundreds of heads of game with it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HP9MM View Post
    I have loaded ~5,000 Lyman 429421 and found them to provide everything I need in my 29-2. I size and lube them to .429 in my RCBS LAM. For lube I use LBT Soft Blue. I have an RCBS Keith style gas check mould I don't use. If you are interested in buying it PM me.
    What he said.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I used to shoot the 429421 years ago, then switched to a 44-230 OGW (Ogival Wadcutter) from LBT. It shoots accurately and just hammers hogs in my 44 mag and specials.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I used to shoot the 429421 years ago, then switched to a 44-230 OGW (Ogival Wadcutter) from LBT. It shoots accurately and just hammers hogs in my 44 mag and specials.
    New LBT's will be hard to come by as of Christmas day. Verals shop and equipment burned down and he says he is not going to rebuild. Sad day for an old friend.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    The RCBS 250 grain Keith bullet, plain base, was very good to me in my 29 and 10" Contender. Superb bullet!
    This is my choice for an all around bullet but sadly only 2cav. So I would go to Accurate & get a copy in 4-5cavs.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Gentlemen
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Unless someone has a reason not to i plan on going with the Arsenal Molds copy of the 429421.
    It seems to have great reviews and should work for what I'm going to use it for.
    Again my thanks to all

Its a solid choice.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Just an update
    I ended up going with arsenals 432-250 Gr TC - H&G 503. Hope I works out. I plan to use my 50/50 #2, pb mix, lubed with Ben's red. Anyone see a problem with this ?

Quote Originally Posted by snipecg21 View Post
    Just an update
    I ended up going with arsenals 432-250 Gr TC - H&G 503. Hope I works out. I plan to use my 50/50 #2, pb mix, lubed with Ben's red. Anyone see a problem with this ?
    Should work out fine. Just size the bullet for a snug slip fit through the cylinder throats.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7