Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Neck turning

Neck turning

A friend is converting some brass and needs the necks turned so im helping. I'm using an rcbs neck turning tool and the pilot is very tight in the necks. I trimmed 4 pieces using the supplied case holding tool and they came out fine. I switched to a lee case holder chucked in my drill and it's making quick work but the problem I'm having now is the insides of the necks look uneven. The neck tool is also getting very hot after 4 to 5 cases and I have to stop.

Do I need to use a touch of case lube on the pilot? Am I just turning too fast with the drill? What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated. This is my first attempt at turning necks.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Case lube will help a lot.driving with a drill motor is a much faster speed and more friction, You want a snug fit on the mandrel for accurate work and goof finishes.
    I neck size using the turners mandrel and use a little imperial sizing die wax on the mandrel and to lube the cutter. I sit the tin and dip the neck in about 1/16-1/8" deep.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Lee case holder chucked in my drill to turn necks myself and set it to low speed. I also use a KM expandiron? to open the necks slightly and fit the mandrel more accurately. Like Country Gent stated a dab of Imperial Wax or a touch of powdered graphite makes the whole process easier.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I don't have any imperial sizing wax but I might have a little graphite. I'll give that a try and ser what happens.

Boolit Grand Master

bullet lube will work in a pinch wax or paraffin, motor oil, even vegetable oil will work you need to lube and cool. the oils and waxes flow carrying heat with it

Heat expands metal parts. Adds to variation in the cut.

Lube has an hydraulic effect when thicker on one side of the pilot then the otner.

Turn slow, no lube.

Makes a difference if wanting BR accuracy.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 01-02-2023 at 10:15 AM.

I slowed my speed down considerably and put just a touch of lube inside the necks. It's working like a champ now. I'm using a q-tip with some lee case sizing lube on it. They're coming out identical to the ones I turned with the hand turner.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-02-2023 at 05:39 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I think galling is exactly what happened. The way I'm doing it now isn't getting nearly as hot though.