Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 ML-II

Boolit Buddy

Savage 10 ML-II

Wondering if anyone on this forum shoots one. I have one in stainless that I might be getting out of storage to use again, especially after the sticker shock of BH 209. I have about 9oz left and when that runs out...well I just hate having to go back to black powder. I would take the Savage out more if it wasn't so sticking heavy..
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Grand Master

I have the original Savage 10 ML. I love it with smokeless.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I've got one also. The last few years our state DNR has allowed whatever you can use in the regular gun season to be ok to use in the muzzleloader only season, so I haven't had it out in a while.

Boolit Master
    I shot one for years. Had a stainless and now have a blued. I did the whole gambit, sabotless, duplexing, etc. Put a Shilen barrel on the stainless. Great guns.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I've got one also. The last few years our state DNR has allowed whatever you can use in the regular gun season to be ok to use in the muzzleloader only season, so I haven't had it out in a while.
    Whatever you use in regular season is OK in muzzle loader season??? So 30-06..........???
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Whatever you use in regular season is OK in muzzle loader season??? So 30-06..........???
    I'm in the "limited zone" so it has to meet the straight walled case regulations (.35" or larger, straight walled and between 1.16"-1.8" case length. I used a straightwalled 40 wildcat (195 barnes at 2700fps) for gun season opening day and got a buck. Then switched to a 375 wildcat that I carried during the rest of general firearms, muzzeloader and late doe. Saw an awful lot of squirrels in december, but that's about it within 250yds.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the SS model and been shooting 5744 ever since that became one of the recommended powders. Very accurate. I used to discharge it every evening during hunting season, then last year due to weather we all left camp early and I did not discharge. And yes no primer in the gun and an orange tag on the barrel. Then I had a knee replacement and pt so it was 5 months later before I got to the range. Bang! I was pleasantly surprised.

Mine is also the SS model, but one of the prior owners shot it with black powder and didn't clean it somewhere along the way. There's pitting down at the bottom of the barrel in front of the breech plug. It still shoot good but has an occasional flyer which I think is due to sabot skirt damage from the pitting. I'll get it rebarreled at some point but it is still minute of deer even with the flyers. Arrowhead used to sell drop in barrels but say they don't support the ML2's any more. So I'll likely get a Mcgowen prefit barrel for it. Mostly use 5744 or N110 in it for powder. There was a 50 tube plano case on ebay listed as a BH209 ammo box https://www.ebay.com/itm/18500393467...Bk9SR8Chps2uYQ
    that I got and use for weighed out charges when going hunting or to the range.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 01-03-2023 at 12:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    If you can't find the barrel you want, give Bob Hoyt a call and see if he can repair the barrel you have

Boolit Grand Master

Flyers can be from barrel heat. The sabots don't like warm barrels. If I was going to rebarrel I would go with a .375, .416 or .458" with full form sizing die to eliminate the sabot.

https://dougsmessageboards.proboards...ess-tips-links
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-02-2023 at 08:17 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

It needs a new barrel, since it's a smokeless I wouldn't want to put a liner in it. I might go to .45", but would prefer to keep it .50". Here's a couple pics of what I'm talking about. The bottom 4" or so has pitting, but there's a ring just in front of the breech plug and another ring of pitting where the sabot sits. The biggest patch is about 1/2 the surface of the bore and 2-3" long best as I can tell looking through the bore scope. Some of the skirts on the fired sabots had chunks missing from them, but all are a little rough looking compared to my other muzzleloaders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SavageML2-B1.jpg   SavageML2-B2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Bob Hoyt has done more than a half dozen barrels for me.
    Some were just Restored or as he calls it Refreshed. or just cutting the rifling deeper to clean up the barrel.
    Several got Re- Bored and Re- Rifled to another caliber.
    Like from .56 Smooth bore to .60 rifled.
    Or from .50 to .54
    I also had him install liners on a couple others that had bores way worse than your barrel.
    I also got to choose the Twist that I wanted except on the Refreshed barrels.
    Having Hoyt do my barrels was actually cheaper than trying to find a used barrel and even new barrels for the TC's since they are hard to find right now.

Looks like McGowen requires you to send in the action now for a prefit. https://mcgowenbarrel.com/savage-pre-fit-barrels/ Buddy had Arrowhead put a 45 barrel on his and he shoots it without the sabots like M-tecs mentioned.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got nothing against BH209, but that stuff has just about priced itself out of the market. With a Savage 10 ML I would never waste my money on that. There's a bunch of smokeless powders you can shoot in that which are superior and cheaper.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've got nothing against BH209, but that stuff has just about priced itself out of the market. With a Savage 10 ML I would never waste my money on that. There's a bunch of smokeless powders you can shoot in that which are superior and cheaper.
    Yes I shoot BH209 in my Traditions Vortek, the Savage I shot R7, some 4198 and 4759 that I still have a couple pounds of.
    I brought it out of storage yesterday and going to take it to the range to get it redialed in before this weekend.
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Buddy
    Shot a nice mature doe this morning with the Savage, book load of 42g of 4759 and Hornady 250g XTP. I know, not a cast boolit but haven't experimented with any out of this rifle yet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EEA6F7DC-B3B9-482D-AA29-BC832D03EA45.jpeg  
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Midohhntr View Post
    Wondering if anyone on this forum shoots one. I have one in stainless that I might be getting out of storage to use again, especially after the sticker shock of BH 209. I have about 9oz left and when that runs out...well I just hate having to go back to black powder. I would take the Savage out more if it wasn't so sticking heavy..
    I’m considering building a smokeless muzzleloader due to the cost and availability of BH209.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Midohhntr View Post
    Shot a nice mature doe this morning with the Savage, book load of 42g of 4759 and Hornady 250g XTP. I know, not a cast boolit but haven't experimented with any out of this rifle yet...
    Where did you find this load? Asking because I've been using 5744 for years and now it seems to be out of stock or $55 per pound and I'm looking for alternatives.

Boolit Master
    I found that RL-7 seems to match up to 5744 and SR 4759
    I use lots of RL -7 for my cast Boolits loads in lots of calibers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your smokepole is a good candidate for Bob Hoyt's magical touch. Talk to him and get a good idea on the possibilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast