Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Anybody use cast in .243?

Boolit Buddy

Anybody use cast in .243?

Does anyone use cast boolits in .243? I assume due to the velocity it would have to be gas checked. If anyone has tried this, please let me know both your accomplishments and failures.

Boolit Buddy
    Many folks here shoot cast in .243. Utilize the search function and quite a lot of info will be at your disposal. A gas checked RCBS 243-095-SP sized .244 over 11 Grains of Unique is my go to load. I have a 245496 Lyman that does ok but has to be sized .243 or seated deep to fit the throat of my rifle. I typically get a flier or 2 from the Lyman every 10 shots or so. The RCBS is a ragged hole at 100 yds.

Boolit Master

I have been watching for one of those RCBS 95g ta pop up. Couple
    Months back after talking with the Swede & NOE I ordered a 244-106 bullet from him. Its a dandy looking bullet. I have some cast but not fired yet.

https://youtu.be/zBZOfEsd8B8

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

Now-a-days, I just load them to typical cast boolit loads listed in Lyman castbullet handbook #4, instead of trying to get jacketed bullet speeds from them.
    BUT, 8 years ago, I attempted some High Velocity loads in 243 with heat treated boolits.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...671-Heat-treat

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-range-visit-1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I started my daughter out shooting the RCBS 243-95 SP with a full case of Trailboss around 1,700 fps. Her rifle (Kimber 84 Montana) has a 1:10 twist and would not shoot the NOE 244-105 I bought during a group buy 7 to 10 yrs ago. At 65 yds groups looked like #4 Buck shot at 20 yds with an IC choke. The 105's do shoot amazing well out of my 1:9" 6mm-284. The 6-284 has a 28" bbl so I was messing around with plain base 105's at subsonic velocities. Super quiet with no suppressor. 30 yrs ago when I built the rifle I never dreamed I would be shooting cast out of it at 45 ACP velocities.

I do not recall exactly how fast I pushed the the RCBS 95's in the 243 but I think around 2,200 - 2,300 fps with RL7. I shot them out to 175 yds at paper and they were shooting under 4" at that distance. Gator gas checks and lubed with LAR's Carnauba Red and or LAR's BAC depending what was in my sizer at the time. She would practice on water filled 2 liter pop bottles and some smaller 16 oz.

We hunted deer with jacketed, I ended up after a few yrs of shooting cast for practice, switching to loading 58 gr V-max at a reduced velocity. Main reason to use 58 gr jacketed for practice; I was able to use same scope settings as the jacketed hunting bullet.

I use a 90 gn Ideal mould in my 243

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Yep, that 95 gr RCBS is a good one. I have used it in several 243 rifles with great results. Usually about 10 gr of Green Dot or 9 gr of Red Dot will shoot lights out.

Boolit Master

Suprised about the shotgun patterns with the NOE! It is a pretty short bearing surface. Shorter then that RCBS. But the RCBS is a proven design.

I have a 1:8 twist BBL.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I started my daughter out shooting the RCBS 243-95 SP with a full case of Trailboss around 1,700 fps. Her rifle (Kimber 84 Montana) has a 1:10 twist and would not shoot the NOE 244-105 I bought during a group buy 7 to 10 yrs ago. At 65 yds groups looked like #4 Buck shot at 20 yds with an IC choke. The 105's do shoot amazing well out of my 1:9" 6mm-284. The 6-284 has a 28" bbl so I was messing around with plain base 105's at subsonic velocities. Super quiet with no suppressor. 30 yrs ago when I built the rifle I never dreamed I would be shooting cast out of it at 45 ACP velocities.

>>>SNIP
    Was that a ACE mold? He was the first one to make them, until he had problems and disappeared. I got one of the ACE molds through a GB. Later on, NOE started making a very similar 105 Design, but I think he was making them for stock instead of a GB? Unless you mean a NOE pre-order...which is kinda like a GB?

I never got the ACE 105 to shoot well out of my Win Mod 70 (post-64). Also, I had a Mauser custom benchrest rifle with a well worn throat, which is actually the reason I bought the 105, hoping the boolit was long enough to touch the lands...it didn't touch the lands and it didn't shoot well in that gun either. Looking back on it, I kind of wonder if that was one where I had issues of Bent boolits during sizing/lubing in a Lyman 450...because that is one long skinny boolit. Or it just could have been ACE's Design?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Was that a ACE mold? He was the first one to make them, until he had problems and disappeared. I got one of the ACE molds through a GB. Later on, NOE started making a very similar 105 Design, but I think he was making them for stock instead of a GB? Unless you mean a NOE pre-order...which is kinda like a GB?

I never got the ACE 105 to shoot well out of my Win Mod 70 (post-64). Also, I had a Mauser custom benchrest rifle with a well worn throat, which is actually the reason I bought the 105, hoping the boolit was long enough to touch the lands...it didn't touch the lands and it didn't shoot well in that gun either. Looking back on it, I kind of wonder if that was one where I had issues of Bent boolits during sizing/lubing in a Lyman 450...because that is one long skinny boolit. Or it just could have been ACE's Design?
    I am pretty sure it started out here as a group buy that needed to get 25 or so committed to procure the cherry; then I recall getting a notice that is was switching to ???? and needing to register on NOE's forum to complete the group buy. I have a 2 cav PB & GC. I did not notice any 105's bending but have seen that with my NOE 220 HP's or 247 gr 30 cal's do not recall which one. The Kimber has a 1:10" it shoots older Hornady 100 gr SP great. The 105's shoot really well out of my 1:9" 6-284 both PB & GC

Moderator Emeritus

I found it to be very accurate with 11-13 gr of 2400 and either the Lyman 84 gr or the RCBS 95 gr.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I use a 90 gn Ideal mould in my 243

This is the mold I use to cast for my wife's Mossberg 243. The rifle shoots well with 11 gr of Unique producing near MOA groups. NOE has two great looking molds in that caliber, the 74 gr and the 106 gr.

Midsouth has the RCBS 95 in stock at present, double at $120. It is one of the RCBS Silhouette style bullet. The general style is very accurate with a flat point, bore rider front and a size to groove diameter rear including a gas check.

I shoot several of these RCBS Silhouette design bullets in different weights in different calibers including the 180 30 cal.The 145gr 7mm is very accurate in the 7mm TCU. The 95 should do well in a 6mm.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers