RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Navy arms 1875 Scholfield

Boolit Buddy

Navy arms 1875 Scholfield

Hello all, I believe I just bought a Navy Arms 1875 Scholfield revolver in 44-40 with a 7in barrel, I say “I believe” because it was at a local action house with an absentee bid so I’m waiting on official results. Either way I plan on getting one and I’m curious to hear your experiences with them are they good bad or ugly? Being a modern top break what kind of pressures will they handle? I’m hoping to find one load that this and my original 1873 Winchester like that has proved to be a fun gun to shoot. Also are there any kind of speed loaders that will work with this revolver in 44-40?
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

A modern Uberti top break will be find with modern ammunition or ammunition loaded to SAMMI specs. A few shooters are using these in 45 colt for SASS. I am loading for an 1888 Win. 73 in 38-40 which I am testing with cowboy loads and have fired some full power 38-40 with no issues. On a Winchester forum, the year of 1883 is noted as a year for better steel. Currently with 44-40, I am loading a starting cowboy load that is less than 8000 psi for use in an original Remington in smokeless powder. I am using Lee’s 44-200 RF which I size to .429. which I am using for the new Henry 1860. That bullet provides a crimp groove which is needed for smokeless powder 44-40.
    Last edited by smkummer; 01-01-2023 at 06:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok cool, I took my 1889 vintage to work to check the material of the receiver and it is 12L14 so it’s better then cast. Getting back to the Scholfield I’m looking forward to shooting it.

Μολὼν λάβε

I have one, it's a .45. I load it with black powder because it's more fun than smokeless. Good solid guns, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Although, it IS a top break, even with modern steel it certainly doesn't have the strength of a Ruger.

Found one a few years ago but its a .45colt ASM model. They are just different enough to not be easily repaired but I use it sparingly. Neat revolver. I collect and shoot Webleys too.

Boolit Master

I've had one for 20+yrs in .45Colt, no issues at all.
    But I've always shot factory equivalent loads. 6,000 - 7,000 rds.
    Factory .44-40 loads will work fine I expect.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I’m looking forward to shooting this one. Now I need brass lol

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Buddy
    Finally picked the gun up it’s in very nice shape but it’s very hard chambering un-sized brass and reloaded ammo that shoots in my 73 Winchester. So I’ll have to clean some brass and see what’s up.

Μολὼν λάβε

Remember 44-40 is it’s own animal. My new Henry 1860 has to have cases trimmed very close to the same and a good enough crimp, but that crimp better not bulge the case at all. Some 44-40 can use .429 bullets, some cannot.

I had a Uberti 1875 No.3 Schofield in a .38spl and it was a very accurate pistol. None, to my knowledge were ever made in .357Mag due to the "top break" design pressure issues. I've never reloaded for a 44-40; however, I've read it is considered a "bottle neck" cartridge. (Starline factory in Sedalia, Missouri makes new cases for this round!)
    (Uberti makes another 1875 model called the "Outlaw", which is a copy of the Remington 1875 similar to the 1873 "six gun", that featured a "sail" under the barrel.) I also had the "Outlaw", as well, in a .45 Colt; its cylinder was shorter than the 1873, thus cartridge OAL could never exceed SAAMI specs when reloading without "binding up" the action!

Boolit Master
    I had to use only Winchester brass with .429 lead in a Ruger Vaquero 44 WCF. Other headstamp brass would not chamber.

Boolit Grand Master
    It seems that 44-40 brass is a little scarce these days, but Starline makes it really nice when they make it.
    The test sample I got to shoot when Val first imported them (a 45) had a tendency to drop open on recoil, but I was assured that was going to be addressed and I never of anyone having issues. Apparently they weren’t huge sellers though… just a little too “out of the box” for the modern buying public.
    "It aint easy being green!"