Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: NOE bullet sizing die

Boolit Bub

NOE bullet sizing die

I’m about ready to pull the trigger on an NOE mold. I have a lubesizer but have been progressing towards Lee push through sizers as I’ve decided I’ll likely just be powder coating bullets from now on. I’m looking for input on the NOE sizing die compared to the Lee push through sizers. I like the idea of replaceable bushings in the NOE instead of a separate die for each diameter with Lee. I’m just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and order the NOE sizer when I order my mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Grand Master

I cannot comment on NOE sizing dies but I have been using Lee push through dies for at least 25 years (I prefer to keep it simple and still pan lube and PC most of my bullets.). Changeable bushing inserts would be a cool addition, but I have "customized" a few Lee sizing dies quite easily...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I use the NOE system, after many years of Lee. The NOE system gives you more sizing options, and is probably cheaper in the long run. The Lee seems to push through easier. They must have a longer taper on them.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure when they came out this it, but Lee offers a bushing/insert system, now, too. The die comes with one caliber bushing and costs pretty cheap. Maybe just five dollars more than the an old Lee sizer kit. Then once you own the die, you can buy new caliber insert/stem for only ~$10.00 each.

They still offer the self contained one-sizer-per-die. I'm not sure if they plan to discontinue them completely, but I notice they are no longer offering some calibers. Maybe they're phasing out older stock? This prompted me to finish my sizer collection and buy 2 more old style Lee sizers. No free bottle of LLA, anymore...

Boolit Grand Master

I use both types of sizers and have to say that the NOE sizer allows more options to get the size you want. No more having to "open up" a Lee die.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Correction:

The new system is called the Breechlock Bullet Sizer, and it appears to only fit a Breechlock press. So that's not so great for most reloaders.

An empty die is only $20.00. Each caliber you buy for it is only $15.00 on the fleabay. I'm not sure why I can't find it on Lee's own site to see a complete list of caliber/sizes.
    Last edited by gloob; 01-01-2023 at 03:40 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    Correction:

The new system is called the Breechlock Bullet Sizer, and it appears to only fit a Breechlock press. So that's not so great for most reloaders.

An empty die is only $20.00. Each caliber you buy for it is only $15.00 on the fleabay. I'm not sure why I can't find it on Lee's own site to see a complete list of caliber/sizes.
    This sounds good but I don’t have a Lee breechlock press. The Noe system is a bit more upfront but with a pushrod it’s only $20 to add a new caliber and $11.25 if I only need a new bushing size for that caliber. This really isn’t much different than what you quoted for a different size for the Lee.

If you already have some Lee sizers, those pushrods work fine with the NOE sizers. You can also use the red containers to catch the bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    If you already have some Lee sizers, those pushrods work fine with the NOE sizers. You can also use the red containers to catch the bullets.
    If anyone has a use for these red bullet catchers, I have 2 brand new that are hovering over the trash bin.

I folded up a sheet metal bullet chute that slips over the top of the die. A folded tab keeps it at the top of the die, and it also tips the bullets over onto the chute as they exit. They slide down and fall into a bin that I put next to the press.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks. This may save me a bit of money. Any idea on how close the bullet pusher needs to be to bullet diameter? Would a .44 caliber pusher work fine for a .458 sizer?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbadoyle View Post
    Thanks. This may save me a bit of money. Any idea on how close the bullet pusher needs to be to bullet diameter? Would a .44 caliber pusher work fine for a .458
    I think that would be too much, but have never tried it. Give it a shot and tell us.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Bub
    I think that would be too much, but have never tried it. Give it a shot and tell us.
    I’ve got a .45 caliber pistol lee push rod. I’m just wondering if anyone has tried that much smaller. I do have a lathe and I’m far from a machinist but I believe I could build my own push rods. If not my brother is a pretty accomplished machinist so I know he could build them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubbadoyle View Post
    Thanks. This may save me a bit of money. Any idea on how close the bullet pusher needs to be to bullet diameter? Would a .44 caliber pusher work fine for a .458 sizer?

I would guess that it depends on your alloy and how much you are sizing down. However, I have used my 40 cal. pushrod on .459" bullets with no ill effects and no finning of the base. Yeah I'm cheap!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have NOE and Lee, much prefer the Lee.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I have NOE and Lee, much prefer the Lee.
    Can you elaborate a bit on why?