Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Practices to avoid lead poisoning when casting

Boolit Master
    I think it's worthy to note that lead comes from the ground and eventually returns to it.

Tiny traces of "lead" weren't a health issue before electronic instruments capable of measuring it in minute levels were developed and the always frightened nanny "State of California" immediately went stoopid nuts about it (and remains so today).

If the thought of touching anything lead frightens you remember that many gunshot victims carry bullets buried deep inside for many decades with NO medical harm coming from the lead itself!

Bottomline, cast in a moderately well ventilated space (a howling wind is not necessary) and stay clean. Meaning we don't need to sit in front of an industrial exhaust fan while casting; then don't pick our nose, don't eat barehanded and don't lick the gray off our grungy fingers after working with solid lead and all will be well.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Only correct information is worthy of becoming a sticky.
    The lead bullet/shot ban has zero to do with casting/smelting or even a misunderstanding of lead issues. It was/is due birds ingesting lead shot or spent bullets. Birds grind their food in the gizzard. The grinding action allows for high levels to be ingested.
    Actually, it's buzzards/vultures (and their subspecies, the endangered California Condor) that has a big problem with lead. They aren't dumb enough to simply pick up and eat shot or bullets off the ground. They have a really powerful acidic digestive system that allows them to eat rotten decomposing meat that destroys bacteria and meat and tears down the DNA. This also dissolves solid lead.

For years I thought that the lead ban was a bunch of anti-gun tree hugging hooey but after learning about how vultures can digest just about anything and will pick a carcass clean, a bullet which can reside in an animal its entire life without causing lead poisoning (people survive this all the time) can cause lead poisoning in a vulture if it eats animals with shot or a bullet embedded in it. Vultures look pretty disgusting but to think how they can eat just about anything and clean up carcasses is pretty amazing.

As for best practices, lots of good info in this thread. Keep the primer dust from getting into your mouth and nose and wash up after casting bullets, tumbling cases and shooting at the range.

I really don't worry too much about vultures, they are not an issue where I live.

Boolit Master
    I am late to the "Lead is scary" - "No it's not!" party.

I have thoughts I am gonna share. I will start with facts, and then maybe some opinions.

First, lead IS toxic. Of course so is water in high enough quantities. However, lead has no known health benefits in the human body, and some water is essential to life. Goal one then is to minimize lead intake as it won't do anything good for you and MAY (not will) hurt you.

Target shooting is good for me. Reloading is good for me. Bullet casting is good for me. These activities allow me to release stress, escape the pressures of life and build meaningful experiences with my family and friends. These mental benefits translate also into lowered blood pressure, reduced risk of stroke, and better long life outcomes.

Given both a significant benefit to the hobby, but a potential risk from one or more of the source materials, I work to minimize lead absorption. Based on the research I have read:

1. Hygiene. This has been touched on, but can't be over-stated. Don't eat, drink or smoke when handling lead. Wash hands immediately when taking a break. Wear protective over garments in the casting area that can be easily removed during breaks or at the end of a session.

2. Gear. I wear an "over-shirt", apron, long gloves and a face shield when making ingots from scrap. A fan is a good idea if it works for your set up. It doesn't for mine. I both cast and make ingots outside and pay attention to the wind. If a downdraft chemical hood is a possibility for you, it is a great idea. I don't wear a mask, but I probably should. Even if the mask doesn't filter the particles from the air, it makes it harder for you to touch your mouth inadvertantly.

3. Vitamins and Minerals. This fact sheet (http://hpri.fullerton.edu/Community/..._June_2010.pdf) offers a great consolidation with citations about the nutrition that reduces lead absorption. Short version is a balanced diet, good multi-vitamin and a vitamin-C supplement. Even though vitamin-C is not part of my daily, I start taking a supplement about a week before I make ingots and continue for about a week after. The PDF is a good read and not terribly long. Your browser may warn you that it is coming from a "non-secure" source, but it is just that the server doesn't have a certificate.

4. Monitor. As mentioned, you can have your lead level tested. I don't bother cause I am dumb.

5. Others. I have kids, mostly grown, and I have grandkids. Developing minds (under 25-30 years old) are especially susceptible to negative effects of any increase in lead. Those of us raised in the days of leaded gas are, on average, measurable less intelligent (2.6 IQ points) than we would have been if we had been raised in environments that had lower lead prevalence. I am dumb enough I don't miss them, but I would really hate myself if one of my kids or grandkids were impacted by my hobby. My children are advised of the risks, and my young grandkids are not allowed access to areas that may have lead dust. It's up to you to determine how you want to manage this.

Opinions:

I think the world at large, at least in my area, is ignorant of the real nature of lead, and have been told to fear it greatly. This is unfortunately a necessity to get tax money to fund replacement of lead pipes in water systems and lead pain in schools. You have to over-inform to get funding to do the minimums.

I think, perhaps as a reaction to the above issue, we tend here to minimize the actual risks of lead exposure. In attempting to get the populace to understand that lead isn't a boogey-man, we go a bit "orthodox".

So, is lead a risk to be managed? Certainly is. But just like gun safety, when the rules are understood and followed, the dangers of lead are managed to a very safe level.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Boolit Master
    It's best not to lick, eat or snort the lead or lead alloys. Wash your hands after handling and wear a mask/respirator with gloves when dealing with lead that has a white oxide layer.

After a major session melting more than a ton of indoor range scrap, outside, wearing gloves and a respirator, I tested a blood level of 27. Three years later, with no more melting scrap (I have a lifetime supply of ingots now), my lead level has dropped to 3 with no medical intervention other than monitoring. I'm not exactly sure how it got in me but regular melting and casting small amounts (again using gloves and respirator) allowed it to go away. I have had no symptoms at all.

Boolit Grand Master

In the last 15 years I've done 4 sessions of over a ton each without a respirator. I was tested for work annually. Over a 22-year period 1.6 was the low and 2.7 was the high with one exception. I had deployed to the sandbox and had not cast since the last test. On that one I tested a 6.8.

Since 1968 I've never used a respirator for casting or smelting.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-19-2023 at 01:25 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Don't eat the lead and don't eat while casting. Has worked for me for over 50 years.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123