Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 Springfield load.

Boolit Buddy

03 Springfield load.

Shooting Lyman cast 31141. What is your powder of choice. Have the Lyman cast manual. Been using IMR3031 and 2400. Do you use dacron filler?

Thank you.
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

Do a little searching for 'the load'. It's 13gr of Red Dot.
    It's pretty impressive what it'll do.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

+1 on the load. Its a good one
    But there are other loads you can try. Not sure how many different powders you have
    16-2400
    14- blue dot
    13- unique
    13- green dot
    For plain base loads which I mainly shoot in 20 some military rifles I like these loads.
    7.5-red dot
    6.7-bullseye
    8- unique
    Lately I've been messing around with 28/20.
    Got some great groups in my k31and Few 98.
    I also powder coat and size at .312 in my 03 and most of my other 30 cal rifles but not my 303 and 7.62, or 7.65.
    Hope this helps.
    I B

1903 Springfield

My 03 loved IMR 4895 with your bullet. Use Hodgdon Youth Load 60% & work up from there. No filler needed. Your 3031 should work also.

The Lyman loads with pistol powders didnt produce great accuracy, with or without kapok filler, for me. . Do use a Lyman M die. .310 diameter bullets. 50/50 lube.

Had a new GI barrel put on back in the 70's. Made a world of difference. Could hit 1 gal paint cans at 300 yards.

Boolit Master

Hard to beat 2400. Shoots sub MOA for us in 30-06 boltguns at 1950 FPS with powder coated Lee 170’s. No filler.

Boolit Grand Master

Start at 25 gr of the 3031 and work up to about 30 gr +/- and use a dacron filler.

With the 2400 start at 18 gr and work up to 22 gr. If shooting from a bench and loading so the powder is positioned constantly then a dacron filler probably won't be needed. If shouldering and shooting the rifle from various carrying positions and at different angles of fire the dacron filler would be my choice.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Kinda' depends on what you are doing with that rifle. If, like me, you are shooting gongs out to 600 yards you will want to concentrate on the loads with 4895 or 3031 for those 2000+ fps velocities. If you are just shooting to 100 yards or not much more than "the load" and other similar can be lotsa' fun. For that type shooting I have also gone to a 115 grain boolit to save on lead as well as powder and it is a "grandkid approved" load for blasting tin cans.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    Kinda' depends on what you are doing with that rifle. If, like me, you are shooting gongs out to 600 yards you will want to concentrate on the loads with 4895 or 3031 for those 2000+ fps velocities. If you are just shooting to 100 yards or not much more than "the load" and other similar can be lotsa' fun. For that type shooting I have also gone to a 115 grain boolit to save on lead as well as powder and it is a "grandkid approved" load for blasting tin cans.
    Thank you.....Just blasting milk jugs at 100yds plinking loads, rifle was made in1918 serial # 1,7XX.XXX My dad bought it way back early 60s $15 DCM gave it to me 40yrs ago. Never shoot full house loads in it.
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

Springfield 03, 31.5gn 3031 and Lyman 311284 sized to 0.310"

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post

Wow, that is great!
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Milk jug safari's can be easily handled with Unique or 2400 with Unique being one of my favorites .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post

Not bad shooting for 50 feet.

Super Moderator

I use 18.5 grains of 2400 in my 1903's, with either the RCBS 165 SIL, the 311041, or the 311299. I would start with 16 grains and work up in 1/2 grain increments. The sweet spot is usually between 18-20 grains.

Boolit Grand Master

My M1903A1 National Match rifle at 100 yards with 19 gr 2400 w/dacron filler under the NOE 310-165-FN "30 XCB". Holding "X" ring after two sighters with sight adjustment then 10 for "record". This rifle with my Lyman 311041 will hold 10 ring with 5 - 7 Xs when loaded over 29 gr 4895 w/dacron filler. Sorry, no pictures of that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1903A1 NM png.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	308884

Name:	XCB 20gr 2400 wdac.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	308885
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by PDshooter View Post
    Shooting Lyman cast 31141. What is your powder of choice. Have the Lyman cast manual. Been using IMR3031 and 2400. Do you use dacron filler?

Thank you.
    Using this same, exact bullet in my 1903 I use 26.5grains of IMR3031 and PuffLon filler. At 75 yards this gets the great majority of bullets in a pie-sized paper plate. Note that mine is an un-touched or accurized U. S. Rock Island Arsenal Model 1903, S/n 311xxx, which left the factory in 1918 -- one year before my dad was born ! Other than bore-cleaning and the drop of oil here & there -- it's as I bought it.

Boolit Master

My best to date ever cast bullet load came with my '50's sporterized Springfield a RCBS 30-180 fn bullet powder coated sized 310 seated ontop of 2400 @ 1600 ish. Five shots under 1/3" @ 100 yards with a 1-4 post reticule scope.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    cwlongshot: I've been interested in trying the RCBS 30-180-FN in my 30-06 (pre-64 Winchester model 70). I haven't been able to locate any information on how deeply to seat this bullet. I'm wondering if having the gas check below the case shoulder would be an issue? What's the OAL on your loads with this bullet? Naturally, I'd have to adjust the cartridge OAL to fit my chamber, but I just wanted to know if the gas check should be even with or below the case shoulder.

Boolit Master

Keeping the gas check in the neck of a case, is an old practice before we had crimp on style, gas jacks. There was a real danger of losing that gas check, so keeping them in the neck held them on better. Today. It's not a real huge concern with gas checks available today like gator checks that I use. I'll check the OAL but as you said, it's determined by the action/rifle.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

If the GC is eated below the neck gas cutting can be severe enough to affect accuracy. However, keep in mind "accuracy" is relative. Accuracy with some is just getting some semblance of a "group" [usually not defined as to size nor number of shots, just something like "it groups well"] with minimal use of whatever powder they have at 50 yards or so out of a milsurp. Also, there are many who just plink with cast bullets. Seating the GC below the neck and probable loss of accuracy isn't noticeable to them nor meaningful. That's what they want and do and that is fine with me.

Accuracy to others is the best and tightest groups [usually 5 shots] at 100 yards they can get with some effort at casting good bullets and load development with bolt or semi milsurps or SS, bolt and lever sporter rifles with good sights or scopes. Then there are the CBA folks and longrange shooters where excellent cast bullets are a must as is attention to detail in loading.

I have done enough actual accuracy testing of this subject to always suggest the GC, at least the top of it, remain in the case neck if best accuracy is to gotten. As we can see from the photo [taken from the NRA Cast Bullet Supplement] sever gas cutting can occur with some loads. The picture shows two recovered 311284s fired from a 30-06 with the same load. The left bullet was seated with the GC in the neck. The right bullet had the GC below the neck. Note the very good condition of the still relatively uniform drive bands and the GC is still affixed on the left bullet. We see on the right bullet the drive bands are misshaped and no longer relatively uniform, the GC is gone and sever gas cutting can be seen. The bullet on the right may be "as accurate" as the one on the left in a milsurp rifle at 50 yards but at 100 yards or beyond it will not be as accurate and thus, can definitely be "an issue". That gas cutting can be mitigated to some degree by the use of a filler such as dacron [some loads do not require a dacron filler nor is one recommended for them] but accuracy can still suffer.

Thus, if the accuracy you get seating the GC below the neck is acceptable to you then it's not "an issue". However, if you want the best accuracy then keep the GC, or the top of it, in the neck.

Name:	001 (3).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	308936
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If the GC is eated below the neck gas cutting can be severe enough to affect accuracy. However, keep in mind "accuracy" is relative. Accuracy with some is just getting some semblance of a "group" [usually not defined as to size nor number of shots, just something like "it groups well"] with minimal use of whatever powder they have at 50 yards or so out of a milsurp. Also, there are many who just plink with cast bullets. Seating the GC below the neck and probable loss of accuracy isn't noticeable to them nor meaningful. That's what they want and do and that is fine with me.

Accuracy to others is the best and tightest groups [usually 5 shots] at 100 yards they can get with some effort at casting good bullets and load development with bolt or semi milsurps or SS, bolt and lever sporter rifles with good sights or scopes. Then there are the CBA folks and longrange shooters where excellent cast bullets are a must as is attention to detail in loading.

I have done enough actual accuracy testing of this subject to always suggest the GC, at least the top of it, remain in the case neck if best accuracy is to gotten. As we can see from the photo [taken from the NRA Cast Bullet Supplement] sever gas cutting can occur with some loads. The picture shows two recovered 311284s fired from a 30-06 with the same load. The left bullet was seated with the GC in the neck. The right bullet had the GC below the neck. Note the very good condition of the still relatively uniform drive bands and the GC is still affixed on the left bullet. We see on the right bullet the drive bands are misshaped and no longer relatively uniform, the GC is gone and sever gas cutting can be seen. The bullet on the right may be "as accurate" as the one on the left in a milsurp rifle at 50 yards but at 100 yards or beyond it will not be as accurate and thus, can definitely be "an issue". That gas cutting can be mitigated to some degree by the use of a filler such as dacron [some loads do not require a dacron filler nor is one recommended for them] but accuracy can still suffer.

Thus, if the accuracy you get seating the GC below the neck is acceptable to you then it's not "an issue". However, if you want the best accuracy then keep the GC, or the top of it, in the neck.

Name:	001 (3).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	308936
    Well said Sir,
    We tend to forget accuracy is different base on what the shooter is doing.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast