RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
PBcastcoRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 35 Remington and the majic of meplat

Boolit Master

35 Remington And The Magic of Meplat On Impact Effect

I came into a 336 chamberedin 35 Remington and in order to get it rolling I opted to use some coated projies I had on hand (Hornady 180 SSPs). At estimated 2100 fps the dug a hole in my backstop a couple of inches in diameter and 10-12" deep.

FINALLY found my supply of cast FPGC 200 grainers from a long ago group buy (Ranch Dog, I think) Mine weigh in at 220 dressed and ready to launch.
    WOW, the action from the meplat sure opened up all of the soil for the first 10-12 inches.

Not the best accuracy, but good enough to use next week for most of my hunting (will have to use coated projies out of a different gun for some of the longer shots)

Right now both projies are being pushed with AA2200 but I would like to hear what folks are using here to launch their 180-190 (Lar45 and Ranch Dog's mold), and the RD "200".

I have AA2200, Ball-C2, H380, IMR3031, 4895 which I think fit the profile for the 35 Remington.
    CCI, Winchester Large Rifle primers.

Anyone hunting with the 180-190s?

Any info would be appreciated since it will likely be an ongoing development for next years season!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-01-2023 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Add powdwer and primer info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

I have a copy of the Ranch Dog load notes for his 190 grain .35 REM boolit. If you would like a copy by email, send me a PM with your address.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

If one clicks on my screen name in the box where the message is posted, it gives one an option of sending an email.
    I will PM separately also
    Heck I can email you using the same system and have.

MAN, did I make that much more difficult than it had to be!

ALL good now . . . I think!

BUT

Is anyone using the 18-190 grain boolit to hunt deer?

Heavier?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-01-2023 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added questions related to original post
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    This year I used lee 35-200, a copy of the rcbs. Mine weighed about 202 grains gas checked. I used them to shoot 2 deer this year at 1900 fps (358 winchester) I know a lot say 50/50 is the ultimate, but I used coww with enough pewter added to make a 3-3-94 alloy. That worked very well, plan on using that again.

Boolit Buddy
    The meplat on that bullet is not that big, but with my alloy it appeared to get decent expansion

Boolit Grand Master

Email through the forum link doesn’t allow attachments. I have a PDF file to send if you want it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banner Sponsor

I've used my C358-180RF in a 357 Rossi. Shoots great and my son took his first deer with it. It was close to his 12th birthday so I gifted it to him right there on the mountain.
    I Don't have a 35 rem, but I think the Ranch dog 190 has a little better nose profile to fit the throat of the 35 rem. The front driving band is a little shorter on the Ranch Dog bullet.

Boolit Master
    The only bullet I've tried in my 35 Remington (also a Marlin 336) is an Accurate mold 200 grain flat nose (36-200A). I've used both IMR 4320 (discontinued) and H-4895 with equal success. This was the 1st load I used to take deer with a cast bullet and I was shocked how effective a 2,050 ft/sec bullet can be. The impact of that bullet sounds more like a cannon ball impacting a deer. I shot a couple does this year with a more conventional hunting profile bullet in 32 Winchester Special (RCBS 32-170-FN) and while it worked well enough, the bullet impact was much quieter. I'm sold on using as wide a nose as practical which seems to be somewhere near 75% bullet diameter.

I also think the 35 Remington is about the best blend of max bullet diameter and yet light recoil that a deer hunter can get for cast bullet hunting.
    Last edited by 35 Rem; 01-02-2023 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added Accurate mold # for clarity/info

Boolit Master
    I've killed a bunch of Iowa whitetails with the Ranch Dog 359-190-RFGC out of a .357 Maximum, ballistically a basic twin to the .35 Rem. My load is pushing them out at 2000 fps from an 18" MGM barrel on my Encore. I can't tell you what expansion looks like because I have yet to catch one in a deer from ranges of 50 yards to 210 yards. They're very accurate in my gun and they are hell on deer.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If you look at the group in my avatar that is from my 336 at 100 yards. That was from an MP group by 200 grain hollowpoint mold. I used 40 g of Varget. I shot a 200 yard group right after that that was 2 1/4 inches and 9 inches low when zeroed at 100 yards. I also did a post on a deer I shot with the load. Slammed to the ground like Thors hammer and never moved! Put a good fist sized hole in and out of the ribs. I’m sure you can find the posts if you dig. I use 50/50 COWW and pure lead with 2 % pewter added to the total mix. Bh is 10.5. I also lightened my trigger up pretty good which helped tighten groups.

Here is my hunting post…

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!