Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remingtons 360 Buck Hammer

Boolit Master

Remingtons 360 Buck Hammer

Who has herd about it?

Ballistics are said ta be 200g @ near 2200 fps

Lil better then the 35 Rem. But a "Straight Wall" and under 2" so Made for the Straight Wall states.

Why mot just bring back the Maxi? This has better ballistics and being a true 35 & using a 30/30 case it aughta be a dandy!

Col Boddington has a article in Guns And Ammo Feb 2023.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    This should be interesting to watch. The old timers were doing the 35/ 30-30 at least 50 years ago that I know of. Me? I'll be sticking to my 375 Win.

Well the thang does shoot .358 bullets at least, unlike that legend thing with the .355/9mm bullets.
    The good thing is it might help with the production of more .358 bullets for reloading.

But I don't want/care about either of these 2 new cartridges.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Grand Master
    First I've heard of it.

Rimmed or rimless?

What rifles is it supposed to be available in?

Robert

Looks to be rimmed, and supposedly Henry is building the rifle.
    https://levergun-scoundrels.com/atta...download/31691

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If I had the money I would give it a try. Already set up to cast a variety of suitable slugs for it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Basically a 35/30-30 slightly shortened with no shoulder, or a 35-30 Maynard without the huge rim. Wheel has been reinvented once again. Probably have a following in the strait wall states if they can actually get rifles and ammo to the market. Still don't get the reasoning behind the rules in the strait wall states other than those making them are ignorant of ballistics.

To me if it has the head diameter of a 30-30, .418 and the neck would be somewhere near .378 OD to get that much taper and make it a legal strait walled case is a odd combination.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    sounds to me like another one of these latest greatest cartridges that will give the gun rag writers and ballistics testers and armchair quarterbacks something to write about and for curious folks some new gun to buy along with new ammo, brass and reloading dies. never quite did understand why 358 caliber rifle rounds failed to catch on in a big way 50 years ago and this new round seems to have about the same practical shooting effect as both the 35 rem and the 375 win. 180-200 grain slugs moving at about 2200fps
    why not just start building new henry's and marlins chambered in 375 win for use in straight wall only states?

Boolit Master
    It will be just like the .30 carry pistol round. We can't get dies and components for calibers we now have, how long will it take for these new wonders to show up with supporting equipment? GF

Boolit Mold
    Extremely disappointed in the leaked announcement of 360 Buckhammer. Should have been straight-wall, not tapered. Should have been in 10mm/.40 caliber, not 35. In a world where 350 legend and 450 bushmaster already exist, this was their opportunity.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    To me if it has the head diameter of a 30-30, .418 and the neck would be somewhere near .378 OD to get that much taper and make it a legal strait walled case is a odd combination.

Jedman
    Its classified "Straight wall" not Parallel Wall. Its semantics.

Its simply how the local Governments (we can argue there ignorance but we all know its futile and we are preaching amungst our choir) classify a "lower powered" rifle. They say min 357 and max 2" case. Dosent make any difference if 10,000 previous calibers are made if they are not 357+ or 2" or less case... IT DOSNET APPLY!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by 912 View Post
    Extremely disappointed in the leaked announcement of 360 Buckhammer. Should have been straight-wall, not tapered. Should have been in 10mm/.40 caliber, not 35. In a world where 350 legend and 450 bushmaster already exist, this was their opportunity.
    I contemplated making a 40 cal for Iowa deer a few yrs ago using Starline's 6.8 Basic brass, but ended up having JES re-bore a Rem M SEVEN Predator 223 Rem to 350 L using a custom reamer for 0.360"dia bullets. Iowa has since changed again to allow bottler necks 35 cal and larger.

Quote Originally Posted by 912 View Post
    The 350L and 450 BM are tapered. Factory rifle cartridges all have to have some taper to them for reliable extraction. Straight wall just means there is no shoulder or "bottle-neck".

It looks like the 360 is based on the 30-30 case. I think the largest caliber you could do on that case is .375 (shortened 375 Win./38-55 or lengthened 375 Supermag). Which would have been a good way to go, but I get that they wanted to go with as small a caliber as possible for more velocity and flatter tradjectory. For 40 caliber I think you would have to go to the 30-40 or 303 case. The choice of .357 bullets is smart, the .355 bullet is one of the biggest complaints about the 350L.

Looks like it will pretty much duplicate 35 Rem. performance and I don't hear many people compain about their 35 Rem. lever gun. If Henry and/or Ruger can come out with lever guns in this for less than a grand there might be one in my future, especiallly if you can make it from 30-30 brass. A single shot would also be a good less expensive option (CVA you paying attention?!)

Boolit Master
    It probably will end up being a BFR caliber, too. GF

Maybe they will eventually reinvent the 375 Supermag.

Boolit Grand Master

Another niche cartridge that will fade from the public eye like the 30 TC, 338 Marlin Express, 307 Winchester...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

To those who are having to deal with the "Straightwall States" regulations, a question: since these cartridges are designed to push the boundaries of the box you're required to operate in, how likely is it that we'll end up with a scenario where one of these "letter of the law/screw the spirit" rounds will be legal in one Straightwall State, and not in another?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

It would be neat in a scaled down 870…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It would be neat in a scaled down 870…..
    A modern 14 1/2. I'd buy one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast