Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingPBcastco
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast Hunting bullets

Boolit Buddy
    Find the one your gun likes and you'll be fine. While a flat nose is nice, people have killed things fairly well with muzzle loaders and round balls. So it's not a must. The biggest thing is practice and finding that sweet spot for your specific rifle and the ranges you hunt. After that, it's personal preference.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I almost have everything I need to start casting my own bullets and I’ll try different ones.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can see a general preference for flat nosed bullets and there are good reasons for it. A characteristic result from flat nosed bullets are that they tend to act straight within the animal. If you are lining up a shot that enters the body and your intentions are to have it go in a straight line to interrupt the heart / lungs / shoulders / etc., a flat nose will tend to actually follow that imaginary straight line you have planned out. Spitzers fly very well but may glance off internal structures and end up not going exactly as you have planned. Always that exception, variations occur, stuff happens, and so on, but I like the flat points because the tend to track straight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    You can see a general preference for flat nosed bullets and there are good reasons for it. A characteristic result from flat nosed bullets are that they tend to act straight within the animal. If you are lining up a shot that enters the body and your intentions are to have it go in a straight line to interrupt the heart / lungs / shoulders / etc., a flat nose will tend to actually follow that imaginary straight line you have planned out. Spitzers fly very well but may glance off internal structures and end up not going exactly as you have planned. Always that exception, variations occur, stuff happens, and so on, but I like the flat points because the tend to track straight.
    See, you say that. But I would bet if I put a .54 cal round ball in the same place you think of. The results would be meat. Soft lead deforms. and I'm unconvinced that a round nose cast soft isn't going to work.

Boolit Buddy
    I hunt with a 30.06 and a 30.30 and use the same bullet in each. It is a NOE 311165rf (165gr) and is easily effective on targets at 200 yards. For hunting I use a 50:50 mix of wheel weight and pure lead. For targets it is usually range scrape mixed with wheel weight. Hunting bullet and target bullet shoot the same but the 50:50 will lead the barrel in less than 10 shots. I lube with Ben's red or powder coat. Never shot at a deer with them further than 100 yards though. 100 yards was longest shot and about 5 yards was closest.

In a nutshell for me hunting with my 30.30 or 30.06 I use a flat nose, med weight, 50:50 mix bullet.

Both of these were taken with the above mentioned bullet this year. They just plain work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buck 1 opt.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	309256

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buck 1a opt.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	309259
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buck2 opt.jpg   buck 1.jpg  
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005