Lee PrecisionRepackboxPBcastcoLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Hunting bullets

Boolit Bub

Cast Hunting bullets

Hello,

First
    I’m new to Cast Boolits and just starting to cast bullets. Is there any particular design cast bullet that works best for hunting? There seems to be endless designs. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Large, heavy, flat nose, in pure lead.

I like a WFN (wide flat nose). I also like a little heavy for caliber bullets. You will get a thousand different answers, and none will be wrong if they have been used to take game. Hollow points work good if the hp size matches the velocity.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed with above comments - wide flat nose and heavy for caliber boolits. I shoot a lot of magnum calibers/pressures and an alloy of 50/50 +1 (COWW / soft lead to pewter) in a 30:1 alloy works great for me and I am solely a hunter, but I demand benchrest accuracy. LOTS of trial and error in the cast bullet game, but it is very rewarding. Sit back, fasten your seatbelt, and enjoy the ride!!! Best of luck to you.

Round nose and flat points are for serious killing.

Shot placement and accuracy is the biggie.
    Get that right and any concerns about a few percentage points here or there in alloy mixtures,
    or an extra 25 fps more or less will take care of them selves.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

What calibers and cartridges?

Boolit Master

In general a flat point(FP) is the projectile of choice for hunting. The flat point diameter will vary as a percentage of the area of the diameter of the bullet or boolit if we are speaking about cast boolits. The flat nose impacts a game animal with more shocking power than say a round nose boolit would. This is to your advantage in putting the animal down in the most humane manner. One disadvantage would be the FP is not as aerodynamic as a spiral boolit or bullet. So a disadvantage in using a FP would be a shorter range as compared with pointed bullet. It will then depend on your shooting range capability. I am not a long range hunter. Therefore a FP has a lot of advantages for me when hunting. On the other hand if I were a long range shooter whether targets or game I would consider the pointy spiral bullets that are all the rage now for long range shooting. As such I'll just say that a 50/50 lead to wheel weight metal with a flat point serves me very well on the game I hunt and the distances I shoot. I won't go into penetration into a game animal but that will also be a part of your decision on which bullet or boolit to use.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Since you be hunting, one thing to test is first shot impact point out of a cold barrel. Test clean bbl and fouled bbl. First shots may tend to fall out of a group. (First shot flyer)

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info. Most of my cast bullets will be shot out of my 38-55, 300 Savage and 35 Whelen. Maybe my 308 pistol.

Boolit Bub
    I will definitely test the cold bore accuracy vs warm/hot bore. Most of the shots were I will be using cast bullets for hunting will probably be under 150 yards.

Boolit Master

Take the time to read Larry Gibson's posts on velocity and accuracy, it will save you a lot of powder lead and time.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I agree wit pworley1....
    Larry Gibson's posts should be a mandatory read before anyone is allowed to be a member.
    Like a "basic training". I was around casting since I was 4 but what I did not know about rifles !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks and I will try to find his post.

Boolit Buddy
    YES!!! Pay close attention to cold/hot bore, clean/fouled, cold/hot weather conditions. . .a lot of this will apply to your bullet lube (which I am in search of the Holly Grail of lubes), your powder and you alloy of choice - all of which your choice of firearm will tell you. Good luck and let us/me know if you ever find that "One" do all lube.

Banner Sponsor

One lube that does all except black powder is 2500+ or Carnauba Blue. 600-3000fps, pistols, rifles...

Boolit Grand Master

WFN and LFN bullets for most hunting and Ogival Wadcutters for self defense and hogs under 50 yards.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    YES!!! Pay close attention to cold/hot bore, clean/fouled, cold/hot weather conditions. . .a lot of this will apply to your bullet lube (which I am in search of the Holly Grail of lubes), your powder and you alloy of choice - all of which your choice of firearm will tell you. Good luck and let us/me know if you ever find that "One" do all lube.
    For me, NRA 50-50 (Javelina) has been the standard for 40 years. Rifle or pistol, from 800 fps up to 1900, it's never failed me, black powder use excluded, of course.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    All Great advice you can do well as there is much to learn on this site. welcome

Boolit Master

I also like wide flat noses or round noses where applicable. Keep in mind that your guns tube magazine or feed ramp needs when testing.

Boolit Buddy
    Agree that a FP on a cast will kill quicker than a shaper point on a cast bullet with Lung Shots. If longer range with a sharp pointed bullet consider making a hollow point with something like a Forster case trimmer with hollow point attachment that are available for bullet expansion. Expansion will also depend on bullet alloy. There is a lot to learn on cast bullets and is something that I have always enjoyed learning what works and what doesn't. I have also learned a lot from Mr. Gibson's posts. I would call him a "Cast Bullet Professor"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast