Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Year starting in a Funk

Well I don't have a son, have pretty much given my son in law a Hipoint Carbine in .40sw for home defense. And gave my daughter my Heritage rough rider in .22lr/.22mag with fixed sights. (Which I shortly replaced with a better model with adjustable sights)

Grandson has Epilepsy and just got home from an ambulance ride and 24 hours in hospital that thankfully he does not remember.
    So I am not sure I can count on being able to trust him with being safe with firearms.

Grandaughter has some growing up to do yet. Coming up on 9, couple more years should tell the tale.

But I have zero interest in trading guns that are growing in value for money that is decreasing in value.

Someone is going to get a heck of a nice stash. Just a question of who at this point.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Your son needs to take a lesson from MUSTANG. Before marrying my wife I informed her : I got the Guns, the Dog, then the Wife. They go in inverse order. On our wedding day I told her the story if the farmer in the 1800's who got the "Mail Order Bride" - He picked his new bride up at the Train Station and told her to get on the Wagon. As they left town the Farmer's horse stumbled, he got out and looked the horse in the eye and said "That's One", as they traveled down the road the horse just stopped in the road and did not want to go - the Farmer Got out and looked the horse in the eye and told the Horse "That's Two", and pulled th horse till it stopped. As they neared the farm a Coyote jumped and ran across the horse, which bolted and started running. After the farmer pulled and pulled on the reins he got out of the wagon, walked up to the horse and said "That's Three" - pulled his gun and shot the horse dead. His new bride jumped into a Tirade and finally yelled "what the Heck are you Doing?" At which time the Farmer looked deeply in her eye and said "That's ONE".

Moral of the story is that the wife and I jokingly poke fun at each other over time and tell each other "That's One".

I taught my wife to shoot and bought her guns. She has bought a couple for me over the years. Son's one and three have guns and understanding wives. I trained the daughter in how to use firearms and bought her 1st "self Defense" gun when she went off to college, and she is married to a former California Liberal who' says - "If anything happens at the House; she'll defend us and the baby so I am not worried". Son #2 has them - but married (Literally) a Radical, Leftist, Israeli, Jewish Woman. He has not gotten rid of any of the guns he bought or that I gave him.

We all will leave this Globe when the Master calls us. What we have will be left behind, and if we plan we must assign where the worldly good we have go. I have only traded two forearms I bought over the years, and sold none. I have given some away to needy/deserving friends and family though. I have a list of where and to whom every firearm is supposed to go when I leave this globe. Barring a financial calamity; none will be sold.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mustang,
    My son’s wife is a radical liberal Jew. I find it interesting is that a race that endured centuries of persecution and the Holocaust would want to live unarmed.

But it is not my problem.
    Don Verna

I need to make some friends who are younger than me or I'm not going to have anyone to leave all this stuff to. Guns. Ammo. Lead. Loading gear, safes.... The works.

My fear is that if I'm last to die between the wiff and I, my family will simply come along and steal it out of the house.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Unless you need the money from the sales, and I doubt it as you were going to just pass them on, I think I'd only thin what I didn't really want to use or keep. 1 or 50. Keep your guns.
    Let the kid deal with them after you are gone. I'd put this ffl dealers information in the safe with a note to your son to contact him to sell them if he didn't want to keep them. Does you really no good to sell now. And maybe you will be around Long enough to pass some on to a grandchild....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    This is basically what I plan on doing. I don't need to sell anything and I like having them around. If my kids decide they don't want them then THEY can make the arrangements. I will be gone so oh well, their monetary loss at the very least. Figure they are getting something for nothing, they can at least do a lil work. Besides, hoping my son becomes more enthusiastic a out them and my daughter - who knows. Good luck.
    Ron

Evidently your son loves her very dearly or guns were not that important to him. I do agree I cannot figure out why American Jews have the political beliefs they do.

Boolit Master
    maybe buy your sons wife a ticket to the holy land and she will quickly find out that every jewish child born there serves in the military and learns how useful a gun is. thats my understanding of how it is there anyway

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    How sad that your son has signed up for such a life. My prayers go out that the marriage becomes the partnership it is supposed to be.
    I agree 100%. The wife that will not allow guns in her house needs to be educated.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I agree 100%. The wife that will not allow guns in her house needs to be educated.
    The far left do not listen or entertain opposing view points.

I called my son today to wish him a Happy New Year. His wife is in NY visiting family and her leftist friends.

I told my son many of my guns are going up for sale but I am keeping the guns he gave me last year. Our agreement was I would hold his guns for three years in case he and his wife changed their mind. I also told him I loved him in spite of our political beliefs being 180 degrees out of sync and that getting into pissing contests did neither of us any good. It would not matter once I take my dirt nap.

I am feeling better about the whole mess. I am still going to have many toys to play with, and enough weapons for “serious work” to be very well prepared if the SHTF.

I think back on how guns have impacted my life and smile. I have met some of the best shooters in the world and made wonderful friends. I loved competitive shooting. Got not too shabby with rifles, pistols and shotguns. And in spite of old age and challenges I have an activity I can keep on keeping on and enjoy.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Don -- my heart is out to you. You wrote that you were informed re his wife's demand. None of my business, but (I assume you reside in driving distance?) I'd suggest an in-person social gather -- e.g., take all family our for a medium-priced restaurant meal. (Important that this is in "neutral territory"!) Then, as part of dinner-time conversation, simply state you're getting on in years and for so many had the firearms as YOUR recreation. They've accrued in value $$$-wise, and it would really give immense pleasure for you to -- eventually -- hand them down to your son.
    In no way be confrontational -- even to a flat "NO WAY!!!" -- at least pretend it's not the end of the world to you if she enforces a ban...
    BUT, I do believe you are due -- from HER mouth -- her feelings. In can be added the "R"-word: respect. If she has credible reasons for her feelings, you can even voice. "that really sucks, but I respect you and your reasons." Life -- including hopefully a happy marriage betwixt your son and her -- goes on...
    On the other hand, years back a buddy named Charles married a gal who also had a zero tolerance for guns, and he rented a table at an upcoming show and sold most all. (I even bought two ). Anyhoos -- 27 months later he was again single -- and, without his firearms. (I gave back the lever action (a Model 36 Marlin) and handgun...)
    BEST!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

Well, I totally understand your situation. Since you didn't ask for advice, I won't be giving any...other than a few general comments.
    Your plan to reduce the collection seems like a sound one to me...and I do think that now is as good of time as any (politically) to sell 'em, judging by the tea leaves in my cup. As to the funk feeling, you'll just have to get outside and do some fun stuff and put the drudgery of the collection reduction out of your mind.
    good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

You have guns and shoot because YOU like them, not anyone else.

Boolit Grand Master
    deverna ~. Get the last laugh and leave 'em to your great-grandkids or even to your great, great grandkids. Hang around long enough to teach 'em, too. It's not right to have to divest yourself from the things you love. Best of luck.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Don -- my heart is out to you. You wrote that you were informed re his wife's demand. None of my business, but (I assume you reside in driving distance?) I'd suggest an in-person social gather -- e.g., take all family our for a medium-priced restaurant meal. (Important that this is in "neutral territory"!) Then, as part of dinner-time conversation, simply state you're getting on in years and for so many had the firearms as YOUR recreation. They've accrued in value $$$-wise, and it would really give immense pleasure for you to -- eventually -- hand them down to your son.
    In no way be confrontational -- even to a flat "NO WAY!!!" -- at least pretend it's not the end of the world to you if she enforces a ban...
    BUT, I do believe you are due -- from HER mouth -- her feelings. In can be added the "R"-word: respect. If she has credible reasons for her feelings, you can even voice. "that really sucks, but I respect you and your reasons." Life -- including hopefully a happy marriage betwixt your son and her -- goes on...
    On the other hand, years back a buddy named Charles married a gal who also had a zero tolerance for guns, and he rented a table at an upcoming show and sold most all. (I even bought two ). Anyhoos -- 27 months later he was again single -- and, without his firearms. (I gave back the lever action (a Model 36 Marlin) and handgun...)
    BEST!
    geo
    I see little probability of a happy marriage with a wife that delivers what should be preferences as fatwa. I don’t like guns and I wish you wouldn’t have them is very different from I won’t allow guns in the house.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Seems to me that you're putting way too much unfair emphasis and importance on the girl that your son, who you raised, chose to marry. She's not trying to convert you to any of her ideologies or beliefs. Her religion, background, heritage, who she votes for, etc, should have absolutely ZERO influence on what you decide to do with your collection. Hopefully, their marriage will survive long after you and your guns are no longer a part of their lives. She doesn't have to "come around" for anyone except your son. They have plenty of other tough issues to deal with.
    I have antique guns that were 100 years old when I was born. Those guns found their way to me through the generations, as they will find their proper places when I'm gone. Enjoy your guns - keep them around if that feels right, sell or give them away if that feels right, but don't base it on the possibility that a failed marriage will make your decision easier.

Boolit Master
    Did he not know she was of this mind? What is her next demand going to be when gets away with this one?

Boolit Grand Master
    If you sell your firearms, and you have no plans for the money you will receive, you could put it in a trust for Grandkids for maybe when they turn 30. That way the wife cannot get her hands on the funds. Besides, its gun money, if she doesn't like guns, she should't like the money from guns

You guys (last couple of replys) didn't read his last comments. It appears it isn't just his dil, but his son who has moved to the lib side. So there really isn't a wait it out for her to leave... but again, why worry about them. Use and enjoy them and sell AND BUY what you want and let them worry about what guns are left when you pass.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My comment still stands. SHE said no guns in the house.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    If you sell your firearms, and you have no plans for the money you will receive, you could put it in a trust for Grandkids for maybe when they turn 30. That way the wife cannot get her hands on the funds. Besides, its gun money, if she doesn't like guns, she should't like the money from guns
    You are a gennieass!!! But alas (or maybe thankfully) no grandkids. My son and DIL are both in their thirties and do not know if they want children.

As to the others, I appreciate the comments and like getting other opinions. I will start listing some of the guns the FFL dealer does not want once I hear back from him. I expect a NIB Winchester 9422 will be offered here...just to tease you guys a bit. Do not PM me about it please.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast