Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brownells

Boolit Buddy

Brownells

I just now un-subscribed from Brownells... maybe it's just me, I don't know.
    I DO know that Brownells used to be THE place to go for many parts, and especially gunsmithing "stuff". They were considered the elite place to go... if nobody else in the world had it, Brownells would, or they could get it for you.

The past few years, as I've checked their website for various things, it seems they have turned into less and less of a specialty kind of place, and more of a Wal-Mart kind of site, if that makes sense.

I was looking for a replacement taller front sight blade for my Ruger Blackhawk... the pinned in type. My searches on Brownells site didn't locate what I needed. I actually googled it, and followed a link to Brownells to find the sight. All is good so far. I tried to find dimensions on this sight blade, to make sure I wasn't buying the exact same blade that was on my Blackhawk.... no joy. It was late, so I planned to continue the search the next day.
    Next day, had an email from Brownells urging me to "give it another look, don't leave it hanging".... so I responded to the email asking for the height.... even attached a pic of the sight I had edited to show them the exact dimension I wanted.
    Crickets.
    Next day, got another email urging me to buy the sight.
    Yesterday I got 3 sales/promotional emails from Brownells.... nothing about my front sight issues.

I didn't have time yesterday to call, so I called today. Chose the #3 option, technical support, and got a recording saying I had reached the Berger bullets help desk, and I should leave a message.... ?? .... I started to leave a message, and it instantly replayed the recording back to me.

Cannot get a response to an email, cannot get a live person on the phone.... things have definitely gone downhill in the past 15-20 years at THE place for gunsmithing tools and parts.... time marches on, I suppose.

Boolit Master

Considering the possible weather conditions and the holidays I would try again next week sometime.

I've done business with Brownell's since 1982, and would give them about a 9.5 star rating (out of a possible 10). No person or company gets it right 100% of the time. There have been changes, but like all companies I think they've been forced to adapt to the times. I can remember when they carried almost no gun specific parts like the sight blade you are seeking at all. They were 95% gunsmithing supply oriented. If I have a complaint at all it's that they're pretty expensive.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, this time of year is not the best for "shopping".... but, still.....

The sight itself isn't bad... about $12.... I just didn't want to purchase the same thing I already have. I imagine a $12 risk isn't the worst thing that could happen.
    It's just frustrating, trying for "details" and getting "would you like fries with that"....

I don't have any inside information on Brownells, but I do encounter the same types of problems that you're describing when dealing with the majority of companies.

I think it can be traced to the overall 'dumbing down' of society and the labor force. Too many people sitting on the couch watching TicToc and getting welfare checks for doing so.

People with specific knowledge eventually retire for one reason or another and take decades of knowledge and experience with them. The younger generations seem to think they can watch a video on YouTube and repeat anything they see, so they're not interested in actually learning a skilled trade.

One day, for one reason or another the internet will cease to function. It will be interesting times because few people actually know how to problem solve and fix anything anymore. But it's obvious that a whole bunch know how to loot and riot.

Boolit Master
    I've been dealing with Brownells since the mid to late '70s, and even toured their location once and met Frank and Bob Brownell. I discussed a few things by phone and snail-mail with Frank, back in the early 80s. Anyhow, Brownells has definitely evolved over the years. Frank stated that there were some items in their catalog that he would never drop, regardless of low sales. His reasoning was that those items were too difficult for people to locate (back before the Internet). Those items have been gone for many years. One example was a high quality leather hole punch. Maybe not so difficult to find now, but back then, it was. The current president of the corporation, Pete Brownell, is essentially a bean-counter IMHO. If a product doesn't meet sales expectations, it's quickly dropped from their lineup. I ordered a paper catalog this year, for the first time in many years. Leafing through it, I saw several items that interested me so I looked them up online. I hate having stuff back ordered, and I wanted to check in-stock status. Many of these items weren't even listed online! So apparently, between the time that the catalog was printed and when I received it, those items were dropped from inventory! Kinda makes me wonder why they bother to print a 'Big Book' at all. Brownells used to exude a mom-n-pop store atmosphere, but not any more. I guess they do what they have to do to turn a profit, but they have definitely become a big business, with all that the title implies.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I've been dealing with Brownells since the mid to late '70s, and even toured their location once and met Frank and Bob Brownell. I discussed a few things by phone and snail-mail with Frank, back in the early 80s. Anyhow, Brownells has definitely evolved over the years. Frank stated that there were some items in their catalog that he would never drop, regardless of low sales. His reasoning was that those items were too difficult for people to locate (back before the Internet). Those items have been gone for many years. One example was a high quality leather hole punch. Maybe not so difficult to find now, but back then, it was. The current president of the corporation, Pete Brownell, is essentially a bean-counter IMHO. If a product doesn't meet sales expectations, it's quickly dropped from their lineup. I ordered a paper catalog this year, for the first time in many years. Leafing through it, I saw several items that interested me so I looked them up online. I hate having stuff back ordered, and I wanted to check in-stock status. Many of these items weren't even listed online! So apparently, between the time that the catalog was printed and when I received it, those items were dropped from inventory! Kinda makes me wonder why they bother to print a 'Big Book' at all. Brownells used to exude a mom-n-pop store atmosphere, but not any more. I guess they do what they have to do to turn a profit, but they have definitely become a big business, with all that the title implies.
    Yes, that is exactly the feeling I get when trying to deal with them.
    I, too started with them during the "catalog" years... mid 70's.... I suppose that's why this disappoints me somewhat, because I remember what they were like "back then"..... I suppose that I have become, as I suspected, an official curmudgeon....
    I need to practice the snarl for when I state "get off my lawn!"....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I don't have any inside information on Brownells, but I do encounter the same types of problems that you're describing when dealing with the majority of companies.

I think it can be traced to the overall 'dumbing down' of society and the labor force. Too many people sitting on the couch watching TicToc and getting welfare checks for doing so.

People with specific knowledge eventually retire for one reason or another and take decades of knowledge and experience with them. The younger generations seem to think they can watch a video on YouTube and repeat anything they see, so they're not interested in actually learning a skilled trade.

One day, for one reason or another the internet will cease to function. It will be interesting times because few people actually know how to problem solve and fix anything anymore. But it's obvious that a whole bunch know how to loot and riot.
    Yes... I couldn't agree more.

There is college business classes on and about what typically happens when a family business 'passes the torch' to the next generation.

More often than not, it doesn't end well.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post

Fix the old stuff ? I have made a good living because people have lost the knowledge or the will to fix the old stuff;
    I. E. Replace a wall outlet / light switch, patch a hole in drywall ect....
    We now live to the throwaway time, from anything to people, almost nothing is made to last.
    Comon sense is not taught at home and is not stocked in collage book stores...
    Most parents and defiantly most students do not know how to read, write, add and subtract, are willing to watch TicToc or YouTube and become instant masters of any subject.
    I teach my kids and grandkids to think.........

Boolit Master

You are being subjected to the "Artificial Intelligence" of the website. The advertising community has focused on capturing your web viewing; running it through some of the "Profile Tables" they create on each customer; and then the logical code determines whether to send a "Follow Up E-mail" on your views. This gets even more detailed if you select to "Check a Box" while on the web page or send and e-mail (Which is also analyzed by computer checking your Customer Profile Tables.

These reaction result in your receiving an e-mail encouraging you to think about buying the item or another item - thus improving sales and theoretically profits. Has nothing to do with "CUSTOMER SERVICE?SUPPORT". Brownells has simply hired Web Page and Data Base services that are following Industry Practices. I quite often get the same from Home Depot, Lowes, and other Large Corporate web sites.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    No country for old men, it irritates the **** out of me everyday! How long do you think and what will the lifespan of the Covid excuse be? How many large company stories have you heard with the manufacturing plant fire scenario? If one were to let their black helicopter out one might think all these large companies are having Italian kitchen fires to use insurance money to help upgrade plant infrastructure to meet new requirements??? Just left hardware store and ask for an 1/8" NPT male Hex ID pipe plug, he may have thought I was speaking in Mandarin! Oh, and they did not have it.

Boolit Master
    It isn't just Brownell's. All of the issues that people are experiencing are subject to the "Law of Diminishing Quality". It goes like this: Anything that works really well will be discontinued. This applies to everything from spaceships to toothpaste. Our modern whiz-bang electronic age has simply accelerated the process.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    One thing to bear in mind, before abandoning all hope: In many instances I have found an item not to be in the "online" venue, but, having a hard catalogue in hand and a part or item number, the merchant does have it in stock. Online lists are a pain to set up and maintain, so some items do not make the list.

Just food for thought.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    Yes, this time of year is not the best for "shopping".... but, still.....

The sight itself isn't bad... about $12.... I just didn't want to purchase the same thing I already have. I imagine a $12 risk isn't the worst thing that could happen.
    It's just frustrating, trying for "details" and getting "would you like fries with that"....
    Please excuse my ignorance, but did you first check with Ruger? Just wondering as I didn't see where you had. Many times, aftermarket parts just aren't identical no matter where you shop.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but did you first check with Ruger? Just wondering as I didn't see where you had. Many times, aftermarket parts just aren't identical no matter where you shop.

Slim
    Thanks for asking, but, no... I have not checked with Ruger yet. I tried to search their website, but didn't find "parts". I found services, but no parts. I might call them tomorrow.
    That is one of the issues, though.... getting a real, genuine human being to talk to. I'm generally fairly literate, and can explain to a human what it is I'm needing/wanting, etc...
    After failing at getting a response to an email at Brownells, I tried calling them..... got a voicemail system that didn't work.

It's not the end of the world.... I can always build up mine with JB weld, and file it down to the height I need...... Might not look "factory", but I've always been a "form follows function" kind of guy. I would prefer it to look "right", but I'm ok with shade tree mechanic stuff, also, if it works.

I might even get industrious, and just home-machine my own sight, using the original as a pattern.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been dealing with Brownell's since '68. Never had a problem and always had excellent service. No, they don't have everything but then I don't expect them too. I also expect to pay for what I order. Yes shipping & handleing can beexpensive and double or tripple the price of small parts/items. I understand that Brownell's is a business and not there to do me favors.

As to the emails, I always uncheck the "subscribe" box so I don't get them in the first place. The emails are a sign of the times and necessary to be competitive in todays business world. No, I don't like it either but it's the way it is.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've been dealing with Brownell's since '68. Never had a problem and always had excellent service. No, they don't have everything but then I don't expect them too. I also expect to pay for what I order. Yes shipping & handleing can beexpensive and double or tripple the price of small parts/items. I understand that Brownell's is a business and not there to do me favors.

As to the emails, I always uncheck the "subscribe" box so I don't get them in the first place. The emails are a sign of the times and necessary to be competitive in todays business world. No, I don't like it either but it's the way it is.
    You're a couple or three years ahead of me. I've dealt with them since the early 70's.... I really enjoyed getting a new catalog from them... it was like "almost Chrismas".
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself well... I have no problem with getting emails and reminders from them.... what frustrated me was the complete lack of "response" when I tried to answer them....
    I believe that it really IS a sign of the times, perhaps the speed and ease of the interweb has made companies lazy in their handling of questions/concerns...
    All I wanted to know, before ordering the part, was one dimension. I planned to buy the part, if it was the correct one. I realize that likely a large part of my issue was that I was trying to find out during the holidays, so here I am a week later still wanting to get that dimension before ordering.
    It's not a huge deal, either way.... just another "first world problem" and a demonstration of the way that companies can change, and not always for the better.
    I love ordering online... I'm spoiled to the rapid response... back in the 70's it would have been either call them on the phone and discuss it and pay with a credit card, or send a letter (there's a reason they call it snail-mail) with cash or money order.

Hornetguy, are you sure you sent your question to the correct email address? You stated that you "responded" to a marketing email that they had sent. Chances are that email is only used for sending out marketing material and not for answering questions. If you go to their contact page https://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/contact_us.aspx there are options to do a "live chat" or the phone number for tech support. They also have a form to fill out that you can use to contact tech support.

Give that a try and see if you don't have a better result.

Best regards,

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    You are being subjected to the "Artificial Intelligence" of the website. The advertising community has focused on capturing your web viewing; running it through some of the "Profile Tables" they create on each customer; and then the logical code determines whether to send a "Follow Up E-mail" on your views. This gets even more detailed if you select to "Check a Box" while on the web page or send and e-mail (Which is also analyzed by computer checking your Customer Profile Tables.

These reaction result in your receiving an e-mail encouraging you to think about buying the item or another item - thus improving sales and theoretically profits. Has nothing to do with "CUSTOMER SERVICE?SUPPORT". Brownells has simply hired Web Page and Data Base services that are following Industry Practices. I quite often get the same from Home Depot, Lowes, and other Large Corporate web sites.
    If I am irritated by this I just add the sender to my spam list. Works for me.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast