RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1:16, a few questions

Boolit Master
    I just ran them again and got the same result, 15.6 bhn on 17 lbs of alloy. I don't know how to make a screen shot bigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15.6 bhn.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Click on the chart and you can barely make it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16-1bhn.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	308836

Boolit Buddy
    fascinating, mine shows 10.5??!!! I can't quite tell, what does the bottom composition show on your chart?? Mine shows
    5.44% tin, 0.35% antimony, 0% arsenic, .09% copper, 0% silver, and 94.1% lead for a hardness of 10.5!

Boolit Buddy
    Ok I looked again, yours is showing 5% antimony which is way high. Pewter has about that, but when adding 16lbs pure, no way should it be 5%!

Boolit Master
    I see that, interesting that the maker of the chart decided to go to the high end of the antimony scale for pewter. One other thing you will find with this chart that I really do not like is the pure lead figures. Take the pewter out of the equation so there is nothing but pure lead. Notice that the bhn for pure lead is listed as 5. click enter, you will see that it now shows bhn of 8.6 even though the value for the pure lead is 5.
    This is where the mixing cross comes in handy. If you know the values of the lead and pewter you can enter them in the cross and get exact figures back out.

Boolit Master
    If you go to the next step down from the pewter which is lead free solder you will get the 10.2 you were looking at since it has no antimony in it. It is also the value that we all use for pewter, I have never heard anybody even talk about antimony in pewter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I ran the numbers on the spreadsheet and according to what I was able to ascertain 16 pure to 1 pewter gave me 10.5 bhn. Not sure the 15.6 is correct!
    I think you are closer to 11 than 15 for sure @ 16-1. Since you are running in a sabot, alloy isnt that important. If you want penetration & some expansion, you might even want a bit harder bullet @ 1600fps. I would look at accuracy then test some in wetpack for expansion @ your desired impact distance. You can always down load to test at closer, make sure I get a good hit distance.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    The notes at the bottom of the calculator why 8.6 bhn is used as a starting value.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    The notes at the bottom of the calculator why 8.6 bhn is used as a starting value.
    I understand that but I have soft lead that tests at BHN5. So if I am using the calculator toy work up an alloy I am already 3.6 points off right from the start and no way of knowing where to go from there. I am moving more and more to the mixing cross that Wiederlander uses. It uses real values. The problem with the cross is that it only works off of BHN and not actual alloy materials.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is 16/1 about alloy composition not bhn numbers?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    It is about an alloy composition to attain a certain BHN, or hardness, depending on how you look at it. People were mixing 16/1 long before BHN was even thought about.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just shot a 245 gr boolit cast from ww and pc'd with bacon grease out of my
    40 cal muzzleloader and I bet that was going well over 2000 fps might be closer to 2500 fps
    at any rate I think that the parameters that you are dealing with your alloy will work out just
    fine especially when using a sabot you should care not about your alloy the sabot will compensate for
    any irregularities in your alloy
    A 45 cal boolit makes a big hole to start with
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

So it sounds like 200:1 would be enough or 40:1. Why use so much tin. Why are you purists using so much, or who told you.
    I think soft is better with a good mold fill out. If 200:1 will do it save the tin for rifles over 1400 FPS. But I’m not a hunter. The guy with the 40 cal at 2400 FPS. Are you kiddin. How much substitute did you use to get that?

Cast Hunter

Why does a 45 cal bullet “need” to expand. You’re punching a nearly 1/2” hole through game with a good transfer of energy when that big slug hits.

Case in point: I once shot a buck with a 180 gn jacketed bullet out of a .308 Win. That recovered bullet mushroomed beautifully. Almost perfectly round and measured .448”x.452”. Terminal performance was outstanding as intended. How big do you need the hole to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    16-1 is 11bhn which is a bit high for muzzle loading isn't it?

And using a 16 pure to 1 pewter will give you 15.6 bhn. Way to high for black powder and muzzleloading! That is regular rifle territory.
    that is selling muzzleloaders short isn't it
    I can get 2700 fps out of my muzzleloader with 250 gr bullets
    that is kinda REGULAR rifle territory is it not?
    in case you haven't checked but muzzleloaders have come a long way since Danl Boone carried one
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    There are true muzzle loaders and then there are todays modern version of them just to get around some of the laws.

Boolit Grand Master

No, I don't think pure lead is inappropriate for a 1600 fps muzzleloader bullet at all. It will perform really well. 16:1 is fine too. In my experience a pure lead solid bullet will expand down to somewhere just under 1000 fps. A 16:1 solid bullet I would expect to expand somewhere down to about 1300 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Were you told "why" to use 16:1 ?
    FYI, I've learned if you ask a question to a bunch of people who shoot front stuffers, you'll likely get a bunch of different answers.
    Here's my answer, I use 200:1
    That is 0.5% tin, it's just enough Tin to not change the hardness any measurable amount, but is enough Tin to inhibit corrosion/oxidation.
    That's my 2¢
    I use pretty much the same lead tin, or 40-1 alloy, for use with tight patched RBs up through 1960 fps and R.E.A.Ls up through 1100 fps in my 45 and 50 cal muzzle loaders. Those alloys work splendidly with those applications. However, I have found through thorough testing a harder alloy is needed to push 370 gr 50 cal maxi Balls out of the 50 cal [TC Black Mountain Magnum] at 1570 fps. The harder 16-1 alloy is needed for the bare lubed bullet to withstand the acceleration and maintain accuracy. Expantion on game is very good but then, with a 50 cal bullet to bigin with, is expansion really needed?

In a saboted or otherwise patched bullet that hard of an alloy may not be required as the sabot/patching may adequately support the bullet during acceleration. Another case of "it depends" as to what alloy is needed based on the circumstance of use. Thus, testing for the particular circumstance of use is the only real way to know.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    There are true muzzle loaders and then there are todays modern version of them just to get around some of the laws.
    load from muzzle
    hence the name Muzzleloader
    can't quite square that
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    So you all would use pure, even at 1600-1800 fps? Wouldn't that flatten too much?
    This is the velocity you get from a .50 caliber muzzle loader loaded with a patched round ball. That load has been killing deer for a couple centuries now. Over-expansion? I'd say not.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast