WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding on a new mould.

Boolit Master

Deciding on a new mould.

No better way than to ask the experts what works best. I just started reloading for the 9mm cartridge a couple months ago. In finding out that a lot of manufacturers throat their barrels for fmj bullets brought about problems. I have three 9mm pistols, and the the chambers are all short throated. I've tried a commercial 125 grain cn design, and a 125 grain rn (looks like the Lee 125 rn). Both these boolits needed to be seated to deep to function properly. The barrels are on their way to DougGuy to get the throats lengthened as of yesterday. With all that being said, what is all y'alls expierience with 9mm boolit design? I think it's time I treated myself to one of the premium moulds on the market. Looking at the Accurate Moulds catalog, the most popular sellers are the 35-125R rnfp, and the 35-125C tc. Anyone have any problem with rnfp not feeding properly? Both are listed at .357 diameter. NOE lists almost everything as
    "Not in stock". Do they make them on request? How about Arsenal molds. Anybody run those? About the sprue plates; Does the trough between the holes help when casting? I want a mould with a diameter of at least .357, and preferably .358. I'm going to lube size them, so I can always size down, but not up. There's always the Lee 125 rn, but I'm thinking it would drop smaller than I want. Ok members, let me know what has worked best for all y'all. Thanks in advance
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Lyman 356402 has worked in every 9mm ive ever tried it in

Boolit Master

I’ve run into similar issue as yours.
    Short throats.
    I stumbled on to this mould and love it. There’s a distinct “Bore ride” section that held with tight throats.
    The hollow point option gives you some flexibility with weights. The nose profile feeds so nice that I can usually chamber a round, eject it and not even be able to tell if it had been cycled through a gun.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...5-hp-pb-4-cav/

Here’s a pic of them as cast and a couple after some ballistic gel testing. There’s a 147 HST in there for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D6AC94F-F801-4CC0-A387-BE3DC67FD49C.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	308651

I am running this bullet through a Sig938, Beretta 92FS, Beretta 92Compact, Springfield Hellcat and M&P9c. They function flawlessly and are accurate. I really appreciate the 8 cavities.

On edit: I just read you are lubing them. This would not be the bullet for that.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/357...e-groove-mold/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9755CA3C-4E22-4177-91F9-1B94A948832A.jpeg  

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your replies and input. I'm very limited on space, so setting up for powder coating in not going to happen in the near future. I did see a bullet 35-130A in Accurate's catalog that has a bore riding section. It is a rn flat point design. I wasn't sure about how well it would feed. Certainly looks like the bore ride section would start the boolit straight, and keep the boolit from tipping.
    Last edited by littlejack; 12-31-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Thank you all for your replies and input. I'm very limited on space, so setting up for powder coating in not going to happen in the near future. I did see a bullet 35-130A in Accurate's catalog that has a bore riding section. It is a rn flat point design. I wasn't sure about how well it would feed. Certainly looks like the bore ride section would start the boolit straight, and keep the boolit from tipping.

The one I had posted was the same design but with a lube groove. That’s what I went with just encase hi-tek ever dries up.

Boolit Master

I'm running the NOE/Ranch Dog 135 tumble lube, which is the same as Accurate's 35-135D. This is an LFN/WFN style that is keyed to seat where the body diameter section ends and the ogive starts at the case mouth. It's been non-fussy in three Glocks and a Ruger P-85, and only needed minor tweaking for seating depth on a tighter-bore Springfield 1911.

Since it seems from your post that 125 grains and conventional lube sizing is your thing, the 35-125B would probably be my choice. It has a stepped nose, a more sharply tapered ogive than my 135, and still manages a nice meplat. Should be ideal for a tight-throated pistol.

The critical thing is knowing how far forward your throat allows you to go before you hit the @.346" groove diameter. Once you know that, it's easy to pick a mold from Accurate's catalog and have Tom make any necessary adjustments.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

35-135s - works fine in XDs and Sig. No mods to guns.
    Whatever!

I really like the Lee 358-125-RF in my 9mm. And it works great in the 38 spl as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I’ve run into similar issue as yours.
    Short throats.
    I stumbled on to this mould and love it. There’s a distinct “Bore ride” section that held with tight throats.
    The hollow point option gives you some flexibility with weights. The nose profile feeds so nice that I can usually chamber a round, eject it and not even be able to tell if it had been cycled through a gun.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...5-hp-pb-4-cav/

Here’s a pic of them as cast and a couple after some ballistic gel testing. There’s a 147 HST in there for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D6AC94F-F801-4CC0-A387-BE3DC67FD49C.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	308651
    My favorite is the solid version (130 gr.) of this boolit. I got the 8 cavity version. I size them to .357 & they shoot just fine in my SR1911. They also shoot just fine in my son's Walther. That boolit with 4.0 of WSF is all we shoot in the 9.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    My favorite is the solid version (130 gr.) of this boolit. I got the 8 cavity version. I size them to .357 & they shoot just fine in my SR1911. They also shoot just fine in my son's Walther. That boolit with 4.0 of WSF is all we shoot in the 9.
    My HP drop at 130. I figured 135 for solids. I wish it dropped 125 HP and 130 solid. Just a little smaller. I guess it really doesn’t matter. They shoot great and the expansion is awesome as you can see.

I also have the 160 version for my 38/357 and I liked it so much I have 2 cav HP. 4 cav HP and a 6 cav solid.
    MP moulds rock.

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your input. Lots of mould designs out there. I like a fairly large meplat. I don't care for tumble lube designs, although I do have a Ranch Dog 411-265. There isn't many different choices in that caliber and weight range. I do size and lube that boolit in my Lyman 450 with soft lube, and that works well. I don't care for bevel base bullets, purdy messy when lubing them. So, I've decided to go with the Accurate 35-130A design. It has the larger meplat than most, a plain base, a single lube groove, and a decent bore-ride section. Never tried a bore ride design in a hand gun. Looking to maybe see a little tighter groups out to the 20 to 30 yard range compared to the non bore ride boolit design. If it's no better, that's fine. All one can do is try them and see.
    Regards

I will second the Lyman 356402. Load about 13,000 rounds with it.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Master

Definately looks like it would clear, even in a short throat situation.

Boolit Grand Master

When I wanted a NOE 358-124-TC-Gas Check 9mm Luger mould , I went to the Forum Site , went down below Group Buy section to Inventory Run section and started an Inventory Run , as soon as 5 people want a mould ...they run it .
    The NOE 9mm TC design is modified slightly for tight 9mm throated guns and works great in that respect ... the gas check allows +1000 fps velocities and protects the base when seating the boolit in the 9mm case . Size .357" for 9mm Luger and 38 Super . Size it .358" for 38 Spcl. , 38 Spcl. +P and 357 Magnum ... this one boolit can cover a lot of boolit territory !

NOE Inventory Run ... sign in and get the ball rolling . It didn't take long at all for 4 others to jump on the wagon with me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Thanks Gary.
    I've already ordered a mould from Tom at Accurate Molds. Don't know when it's gonna be here. My barrels are at DougGuys being throated.

Boolit Master

I received the 35-130A five cavity mould today from Tom at Accurate Molds. Wow, that was fast. His home page states a five week wait. I received this one in 17 days. This is my first "quality" mould. The past 53 years, I have used Lyman, Ideal, RCBS, Lachmiller and Lee. They have served me well. But, I decided it was time I treated myself to higher quality mould. Fired up the pot this afternoon, and began casting. I did preheat the mould some while waiting on the lead to melt. After the moulds came up to temperature, (it took three drops) the moulds dropped beautiful boolits. What a joy to watch the boolits fall out of the moulds like rain. The boolits are beautiful. Can't say enough about the quality, craftsmanship, and production of Tom's moulds. When and if I need another mould, Accurate will be at the top of my list.
    Thank you Tom.
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-18-2023 at 11:32 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m somewhat going down a parallel path littlejack. Ive cast for some time but Lee molds were all I owned and cast with. I very recently got a 9mm and started casting for it. After working out the details with a six hole Lee I ordered my first non Lee mold for the nine. Boy have I been missing out. Congrats on your new mold!
    Willie

Boolit Master

Thank you Willie.
    Hoping you have as great success as I have so far.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast