WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: A tale of two 572's

A tale of two 572's

As I grew up in CO, my grandparents had a farm over the border in a very small farming community in NE. I spent a lot of time there growing up. A lot of that quality time was with my grandfather and his Remington 572 Fieldmaster. He usually kept it loaded with .22 shorts, but LR were always on hand as well. I'm not sure of the age of that rifle but it was manufactured before they serialized them. I was so enamored with it that my Dad bought me a new one when I turned sixteen. My new one was so fancy in comparison, it had tall adjustable sights, shiny varnished stock and forend with (embossed) checkering. And it was clean! My grandfather never cleaned his guns I believe. He had a Springfield 12ga shotgun (Browning A5 copy) that would occasionally double fire on him when we were hunting pheasants. At that point we would drive into the local CO-OP filling station and he would use the gas nozzle to squirt gas down the action of the unloaded gun, work it a few times, then put it in the bed of the truck. We would go inside and talk to the other old timers for awhile while his gun dried out. But I digress...

I spent many years hunting rabbits and rattlesnakes alongside my grandfather with our matching guns. Eventually I inherited his 572, it sits in the safe next to mine. It never really dawned on me to compare them against each other for accuracy until many years later when I was a LEO firearms instructor with a slow day on the range. I toted both guns into work and before I shot them, I decided to clean them both thoroughly. The new one was just a little dusty as I always kept it clean, caring for it after each time I shot it. The old one, holy cow! I don't know how it kept working. So much powder/lead/carbon/dust/straw/lint from a saddle blanket seat cover in the Chevy truck....
    I scraped, cleaned, dug, and brushed it clean. That is also when I first took note of the differences between them. Mostly where and how the barrel assembly is held onto the receiver. The new one has a separate tiny screw on the side of the receiver that the old one does not. I assume this was to help secure the two assemblies. The new (er) rifle has beautiful deep rifling. The barrel is also 20", the older one is 22". The older gun's bore is near smooth, the very faintest rifling visible. The old stock originally had a shellac on it, but many years of an Aqua-Velva soaked cheek and body oils softened the finish up and allowed debris to cling to it. (Ahh memories)

So off to the range, 50 yds, open sights, on a lead sled rest (already in place for sighting shotgun sights for slugs). Ten rounds from the 572, worn out, mechanically neglected, near smooth bore... 1/2"-ish group, definitely under 3/4 inch.

The new(er) one, 10 rounds, sharp crisp rifling, meticulously maintained... 1 1/2" group and a flyer.

Frustrated, I took it to my friend in the armory, a long-time gunsmith for Browning. He identified that the tiny screw on the side of the receiver for steadying the barrel assembly had stripped its threads in the receiver, perhaps I took it apart too many times for thorough cleaning. In his magical hands, a modified 1911 grip bushing was installed like a thread-sert. A new screw was manufactured on the lathe and blued perfectly. Once it was repaired and re-assembled, it was off to the range for what I was sure to be a huge improvement.

Another ten rounds... well maybe is needs to bed in. Another ten round group, did I tighten everything correctly?? Another ten round group, it must be bad ammo...

All groups, three rounds or 50 round box, that D@#% gun can't group better than 1 1/2 inches at 50 yds. Boy does it sure look pretty sitting in the safe NEXT to the gun I use.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221230_134528.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	308635
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221230_134552.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	308636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221230_134552.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	308636

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty Goose; 12-30-2022 at 05:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Funny how some things just work and others in supposedly better condition don't do as well, isn't it? This doesn't only apply to guns, I've seen cars do it too.

Robert

interesting story. But, I have to ask you, what's wrong with 1 1/2" at 50 yds.? Certainly "minute of squirrel", and these are hunting/recreation rifles and not sub-half inch target rifles which exist only for perfectionists and those who brag. The intended practicality is there....use and enjoy them as the mood strikes.

DG

DG

I don't mean to imply that a 1 1/2 group out of that gun is bad per se. I just had the expectation that it should at least match the old well-worn example. I think Robert hit the nail on the head, some machines just act differently.

On that same range I won many free lunches with a particularly nasty looking Marlin model 60 with a Tasco scope. Pitting "Ole Lumpy" against a few new instructors with equally new guns was always good entertainment.
    I believe there is really something to those micro groove barrels and match ammo.

We're pretty much on the same page here. It's always been a mystery why some identical guns perform better than others of the same brand/model. When you find that special one hold it tight, as you're doing with the older rifle.

It's just always been a peculiarity of mine to want my guns to look the best that they can, so I was a "refinisher". It probably didn't make them shoot better, but they seemed to because I was happier with them.

Talking about almost smooth barrels, barrels are a strange thing. I had a 1911 with a really bad barrel. Rusty pits and indistinct rifling. Changed it out for a new one, and it didn't shoot any better. It was shooting o.k. anyway, I just didn't like looking at that bore when I cleaned it. The Army did a study on that very thing between the wars and found that some awful looking bores could still deliver acceptable accuracy.

You'll never get an argument from me about Marlin Mod. 60s and their accuracy. I've got one of the Glenfield persuasion and it will shoot with the best of them. If you're not happy with that, the next step up will be one of the $1,000 match rifles--too heavy for hunting. The nice thing about .22s is that if you have a good one thousands and thousands of lead bullets will take many years to erase the rifling.

DG

Taking this thread on a tangent, sorry to the OP.... oh wait, that was me.

I remeber reading in Hatcher's Notebook about a 1903 that had a round stuck in the barrel. After another round was fired it bulged the barrel and left the jacket in the bulge. The rifle continued to be used without any detriment to its accuracy. When you sight down the barrel you could still see the old copper jacket, crazy.

With my grandfather's 572, I got tired of my face sticking to the gooey stock. I stripped the finish off and spent weeks rubbing BLO into it with 0000 steel wool. It is so smooth now and water just beads off of it. I also love the smell.

Rusty

On a 1911 there are so many other issues that can affect the accuracy that a bad bore gets lost in the shuffle. Loose bushing, loose slide, worn link, worn lugs. I tore my old 1911 down after a shooting session for cleaning and the link pin was broken in two but the gun was running fine. I also have a Fieldmaster bought new in the 1970s, a swell rifle. I used it to squirrel hunt so it must shoot minute of squirrel?

If you want your new rifle to shoot like the old one, I suggest getting Veral Smith's bore lapping kit. Just follow the directions and you will see improvement. It's worked on every gun I've tried it on and you can't mess it up.

Boolit Master

A posting just a week or two ago said Veral Smith had retired.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    A posting just a week or two ago said Veral Smith had retired.
    No mention of that on the LBT website.

Boolit Master

Copied from the lever action sub-forum on this site: Elmer Fudd Elmer Fudd is offline
    Boolit Bub

LBT/Veral's shop burned down and he isn't rebuilding. Sad.

You will slow your bullet down going heavier, if that's what you want. If you cast soft enough for expansion, don't sweat the 20 grains nor the slightly wider nose.
    Let's go Brandon!
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCheapo View Post
    No mention of that on the LBT website.
    I have read by a friend of Verals that he has no power at his place, maybe due to the fire, so he can't run a computer to take it down.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Copied from the lever action sub-forum on this site: Elmer Fudd Elmer Fudd is offline
    Boolit Bub

LBT/Veral's shop burned down and he isn't rebuilding. Sad.
    That sucks!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Goose View Post
    With my grandfather's 572, I got tired of my face sticking to the gooey stock. I stripped the finish off and spent weeks rubbing BLO into it with 0000 steel wool. It is so smooth now and water just beads off of it. I also love the smell.
    Love the old guns, which is why I picked up a 572 awhile back to chase down those youthful memories (although I never owned one then). But they are fabulous pieces of machinery back when Remington had quality. Thanks for the story!
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life