RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zoysia grass

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    thanks sasquatch. how far apart can i plant the plugs??
    It would all depend on how fast you want them to fill in. The closer together the faster the fill. If you are in no big hurry, you can plant them further apart. Let the original patch fill in for a season and then cut more plugs. It will take a while.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    My yard is a mix on Ky Bluegrass, dandelion, white clover, ryegrass and anything else that keeps growing after being mowed over once a week. It does fade down after it freezes but it still mostly a shade of green all winter.

Denny
    My wife once asked me why our lawn periodically has brown spots that return to green later. I told her that what we call a lawn is technically a meadow, with different flowering plants that grow and die at different rates.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Zoysia is a warm season grass.... like most of the native grasses that were here in the US before settlers planted cool season grasses from Europe. May want to look into Buffalo grass such as the newer hybrid Sundancer. Very deep root stucture. PA annual perception is probably much higher than the Central Plains.

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    You will not kill it or get rid of it. I bought my home 40 years ago and a neighbor had planted it in his 5 years prior to this. Over the years I slowly watched the Zoysia creeping in and taking over.
    I now have a completely Zoysia grass lawn. And now I am watching it spread onto my other neighbors lawn.
    When you dig it up a piece you can not pull it apart.
    It will turn brown when the temperature turns to 65 degrees and it will green up again when it turns to 70 degrees, just like clock work.
    You will never have to fertilize it, water it or apply weed killer. It just is. Any weed that may appear can quickly be removed with a shot of weed spray.
    You will have to find plants that can survive in it also. Peonies can live with it, home gardens once tilled will be a drawing card for it to spread to. Raised bed gardens will work if you put down a solid weed barrier mesh with no open seams.
    I guess I’m saying its very invasive. Very easy to rake leaves up though. They just sit on the grass.
    Like cutting wood….measure twice, cut once.
    For Zoysia….think twice, plant once.
    Last edited by sailcaptain; 02-06-2023 at 10:57 AM. Reason: correction
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Master
    I'd like to know what variety to use, my yard stays bare in spots from dog movements. Every year seed and repair, every year it thins to muddy paths. What grass to use in central Ky, some shade and often very wet in the spring, but most summer months it's very dry. The birds get some of it as seed of course.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Common in FL, needs a tally level yard, leveled with a roller applied. Cut with a reel mower only. look close at the yards. Watered with sprayers.
    Grows very slooooo. Mows twice a year, growth fill in is a joke.... Is not a walk on barefoot kind of yard, like walking on pine needles. Makes a look but do mot touch yard.
    I am not a fan. Find a full yard, look close, stop, ring the door bell, ask the owners what they think.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Our first house came with a zoysia yard. I was push mowing at the time, but was in my late 20s so it was no big deal. I liked it because it grew slowly - didn't need to mow it near as often as most fescue lawn grasses. As others have said it was plush, the kids loved playing on it. Had a neighbor from South Carolina; he said some people there would burn it off in the spring before it greened up to prevent mulch buildup.
    Last edited by higgins; 02-07-2023 at 08:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Put some on banks I didn't want to mow any more than necessary. It is a bit slick when the dew is on it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I'd like to know what variety to use, my yard stays bare in spots from dog movements. Every year seed and repair, every year it thins to muddy paths. What grass to use in central Ky, some shade and often very wet in the spring, but most summer months it's very dry. The birds get some of it as seed of course.
    I grew up in Kentucky and my dad always seeded with a 50/50 mix of bluegrass and red fescue. Lawn almost always looked nice and was very hardy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12