WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zoysia grass

Boolit Master

zoysia grass

thinking about planting Zoysia grass (seed). i live in SW Pa. anyone have any experience with it and any issues??

Boolit Master
    Limited experience here in Iowa. It is very tough to get through with a lawnmower.

Boolit Bub
    I had some seeds mixed in ACE premium grass seeds. It will choke out regular grass and most weeds. Slowly spread over lawn through the years. Hard to completely kill off. Very dense growth, but grows slowly and evenly. When the temps reach 50 degrees and below, it goes dormant and turns brown. Not a green blade to be seen. As Froogal said, it's harder to push mow. Like thick plush carpet.

Boolit Master

I didn’t think it established well from seed. Most people use sod or plugs that gradually fill in. We bought about a 1/4 pallet of sod 15 years ago, cut it into chunks, planted them around the lawn in the spring, and kept them watered over the summer. 15 years later it still hasn’t completely filled in. It doesn’t tolerate much shade at all and despite it’s thickness, does not like a ton (as in kids and cars) of traffic. It creeps so slowly, my wife really doesn’t complain about it creeping into her flower beds. Ours is the Myers variety, it has a wide blade and is difficult to distinguish from turf type fescue except for the winter brown, summer very green thing. Emerald is much finer, denser, and a bit prickly in my opinion. Looks great but not as friendly to roll around in with the kids.

Boolit Master

I don't know about your location, but it is great here in the south.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I am a member of our County Noxious Weed Board. We are periodically plagued with new invasive ornamental plants that escape to farms.

I know nothing about the grass you are enquiring about but I would recommend before you acquire it, check with your local noxious weed board (if you have one) to make sure is is not on a mandatory control list or being eyed by your State Weed Board for inclusion.

Better safe than sorry

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I didn’t think it established well from seed. Most people use sod or plugs that gradually fill in. We bought about a 1/4 pallet of sod 15 years ago, cut it into chunks, planted them around the lawn in the spring, and kept them watered over the summer. 15 years later it still hasn’t completely filled in. It doesn’t tolerate much shade at all and despite it’s thickness, does not like a ton (as in kids and cars) of traffic. It creeps so slowly, my wife really doesn’t complain about it creeping into her flower beds. Ours is the Myers variety, it has a wide blade and is difficult to distinguish from turf type fescue except for the winter brown, summer very green thing. Emerald is much finer, denser, and a bit prickly in my opinion. Looks great but not as friendly to roll around in with the kids.
    I'm not sure of the variety we had. In the late 90s we bought an all electric house. In '98 we had a gas furnace installed, which meant tapping into the gas line. Within 7 years I started noticing the lawn had brown grass in the winter. In the 12th year, I tried killing it off with roundup. It didn't get it all and came back. I tried again the year before we moved. Not sure of the last results.

porthos, for a low maintenance grass, you might want to look into creeping red fescue. Once established, it's suppose to be good for our more northern climate.
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/law...e-planting.htm

When I was a kid in Jr. High back in the mid 60's I cut grass for a person who had it. It only needed to be cut about half as often as other lawns. About the only weed I can remember getting through it was onion grass.

I tried to establish it at the house I am in now when I moved in, but I used dry weed and feed on it and I think I killed it off. It was a tremendous waste of money. I live in the Eastern panhandle of WV.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

My neighbor has in their yard. It looks good in the summer but turns brown from fall till spring. It looks like a layer of cardboard boxes covering her yard.

Denny

Moderator Emeritus

I have lived in Montana and Idaho for most of my adult life. Most of it is over 4000 ft elevation. Are you saying all grass doesn't turn brown in the winter? We generally green up from May to October.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have lived in Montana and Idaho for most of my adult life. Most of it is over 4000 ft elevation. Are you saying all grass doesn't turn brown in the winter? We generally green up from May to October.
    Here in southwest Iowa, zoysia grass will still be brown long after everything else has turned green.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    My yard is a mix on Ky Bluegrass, dandelion, white clover, ryegrass and anything else that keeps growing after being mowed over once a week. It does fade down after it freezes but it still mostly a shade of green all winter.

Denny

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by kcofohio View Post
    I had some seeds mixed in ACE premium grass seeds. It will choke out regular grass and most weeds. Slowly spread over lawn through the years. Hard to completely kill off. Very dense growth, but grows slowly and evenly. When the temps reach 50 degrees and below, it goes dormant and turns brown. Not a green blade to be seen. As Froogal said, it's harder to push mow. Like thick plush carpet.
    This. Bought a house in '79 that had a huge section planted in zoysia. We hated that it turned brown so fast. When green it would stall the mower unless the blade was Ginsu-sharp. Never again.

Better to nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Boolit Master
    We have some out back, in the growing season it looks like a putting green. Doesn’t grow fast but it is thick and dusty to cut with the rider. Pretty much my experience is about the same as everyone else. Though it is tough to try and dethatch.

I have a Darwin yard out in our rural area with no one to impress, so if it’s green it gets mowed and if it survives is allowed to stay.

Boolit Master
    thanks for all the advice. i want zoysia grass ; because, my lawn is a mix of everything bad. i refuse to put chemicals (poison) on it. i have a couple of sections of zoysia; 100 sq ft or so. and nothing (weeds) grows inside it. my neighbors lawn is entirely zoysia; so, i guess that where it came from.

Boolit Buddy
    Zenith zoysia can be seeded and looks similar to centipede. Easy to cut and suppresses weeds well. Frost will brown it for the winter but Bermuda and centipede brown up with lighter frosts. greens up early too. Spreads pretty quick and tolerates more shade than centipede or Bermuda too.

Wouldn't have anything else in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i have a couple of sections of zoysia; 100 sq ft or so.
    You can cut plugs out of the area where the grass is already established and put them in other areas of the yard. Fill the holes with topsoil and they will fill back in. It may take a while to spread but you won't waste money buying seed that may not germinate.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    thanks sasquatch. how far apart can i plant the plugs??

Boolit Buddy
    We've cut plugs on a friends house. We cut them into about 2" squares and plant them in a checkerboard fashion. Just imagine the checkerboard is 12" squares. Plant at the corners/intersections.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    We've cut plugs on a friends house. We cut them into about 2" squares and plant them in a checkerboard fashion. Just imagine the checkerboard is 12" squares. Plant at the corners/intersections.
    As a kid I remember some magazine was selling plugs in a hundred plugs per pack. Advertised as planting them 1 ft. apart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast