MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: New Accurate mold - new RCBS Handle off?

New Accurate mold - new RCBS Handle off?

Just got a beautiful new mold from Tom, the 46-405VG, but in setting it up it seems the RCBS handle is slightly off. I used RCBS handles with my former two Accurate molds and they worked beautifully. Tom mentions some of the newer RCBS handles may have a slightly reduced diameter and may have had their position changed somewhat, compared to the older handle. Seems that's the case here Not interested in monkeying with modding the RCBS handle and will be sending it back. Unless I'm missing something? What do you guys use?
    -Paul

I use the Lee 6 cavity handles on all my accurate molds. I have a bunch of them now. I’m actually looking at the exact same design you went with for my next mold

I never had a problem with moving a mold block forward or back to drill new holes in handles when I got to mix'n and match'n.

I can't remember which handles I needed to go on what mold, but even thinning the legs of it down a little wasn't a big deal.
    It was a whole lot faster of a fix than ordering and waiting for new ones.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I never had a problem with moving a mold block forward or back to drill new holes in handles when I got to mix'n and match'n.

I can't remember which handles I needed to go on what mold, but even thinning the legs of it down a little wasn't a big deal.
    It was a whole lot faster of a fix than ordering and waiting for new ones.
    Ed, these will close but it takes just a bit of force - they don't just "slap" together like previously, a small gap at the far end unless I pinch it shut. I always liked the RCBS as I thought they were the most substantial but I find this annoying. The Lees will be here Tuesday, so I can satisfy my Vulcan urges by smelting ingots till then.

Still, willing to do a minor tweak, if that's all it is. Pretty arthritic hands and I'm also not sure the Lee won't take a bit more of a toll after awhile. Would you just suggest boring out the holes a touch?
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorhunter1313 View Post
    I use the Lee 6 cavity handles on all my accurate molds. I have a bunch of them now. I’m actually looking at the exact same design you went with for my next mold
    Thanks for that info. I'm really looking forward to casting and shooting this one. I had it cut at 0.461 to size down to 0.460, giving a bit more room to account for different alloys.
    -Paul

If your mounting screws slip through the handle holes, there's no need to enlarge the holes.
    The holes are too far inward, so not enough clearance between the handle and the block.
    This is solved by grinding or filing a bit off the handle tong (inside edge) so that it no longer contacts the bottom of the handle slot in the mold block (at the rear of the mold).

RCBS handles are by far my favorite; my blocks were designed to fit them.
    But all 10 of my personal RCBS handles are over 35 years old and have plenty of clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    If your mounting screws slip through the handle holes, there's no need to enlarge the holes.
    The holes are too far inward, so not enough clearance between the handle and the block.
    This is solved by grinding or filing a bit off the handle tong (inside edge) so that it no longer contacts the bottom of the handle slot in the mold block (at the rear of the mold).

RCBS handles are by far my favorite; my blocks were designed to fit them.
    But all 10 of my personal RCBS handles are over 35 years old and have plenty of clearance.
    Thanks Tom, that explains the other portion of what I've seen people say they do, the other being enlarging the holes if needs be.

As it turns out, it was indeed that the holes were just slightly too small - the pins would not pass through them freely. I opened both by 1/64" (from 5/32" to 11/64") and now the mold performs perfectly. Really glad because I too have always liked the RCBS make.
    -Paul