Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer pocket swaging, how to hold cases?

Boolit Master

Primer pocket swaging, how to hold cases?

I've done this before, but it's been a lot of years. I can't remember what I did? I seem to recall using my drill press, but how to hold the cases?

I've tried a regular countersink bit, and it leaves some of the pockets too tight, still. I found a Hornady pocket reamer in my kit, and it works better. But it grabs so tight, the cases spin in my fingers.

I rigged up a system to stick the cases in my case gauge, then stick a lyman 223 expander rod into the mouth to keep it from spinning. Then I can ream the pockets with the Hornady reamer bit in a drill.

Is there a better way? All my case holding/locking stuff seems to lock onto the rim, covering the primer pocket.

Boolit Grand Master

Get a swaging die. The Lee one is the best I've ever used. The RCBS works, but much slower and rougher.

Boolit Grand Master
    You might try something like one of the older fiber fuse pullers. Something that won't mar the case but will still grip it securely.

I was not ware that Lee had a primer pocket swager on the market, I have used the RCBS type in a press-- sold it and bought a Dillon Haven't used it in years, but it still hangs on the wall ready for the next time.

Robert

I have used those gardening gloves that have some sort of sticky, grippy, rubber something dots on the palms and fingers.

If the pocket was still too tight- the case went in the scrap bucket. It was probably a problem child anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are going to be doing a great deal of them, I highly recommend the Lee APP with the swaging kit. I tried using the RCBS swage tool and it works if you only have a few to do.

Boolit Master
    Well, thanks for the suggestions, all.

I turned some new expanders recently, an idea clicked, and the redneck lathe was already setup.

I turned down a 1/4" steel round into a holding tool. Imagine a heavy duty decapping/expander pin, but the pin is too short so it sits flush with the bottom of the primer pocket. And the expander part kicks in at just the right place, as the pin enters the flashhole, seizing the case by the mouth.

The whole thing chucks into a hand drill. So the case spins and the pocket reamer stays still.

I was lucky. The fit came out perfect on the first try. Works perfect and somehow the case can easily be twisted off by hand, when done.

Boolit Master
    When loading 9mm on my 550 once in a while I get a crimped pocket and don’t feel like messing with my RCBS swaging tool. So I just use the Lyman reamer, and if it sticks then I first use an RCBS case deburring tool to remove some of the crimp ring followed by the Lyman reamer to finish up. I just keep them both in a bin right next to the press. This way they won’t turn just in your bare hands.

Boolit Master
    For reaming primer pocket crimps, I use a Wilson case trimmer. The case is held by the corresponding case collet built for it. It’s cartridge specific.

My entire process involves using an RCBS swagger set moderately, then a finishing touch on the Wilson trimmer and a fine cut with the appropriate Wilson pocket cutter.

Most of the cut is actually a fine bevel of the entrance to the pocket. But if my swagger leaves too much brass from the crimp the Wilson cutter then backs up the clean-up process.

I have more than one Wilson trimmer bodies so I generally set another side by side with the pocket beveling Wilson set up. That one is used to trim case length. Each case is inserted in the case collet, ran for length then pocket beveled. A two fer if you will.

Call it what you want, that’s my “stick”.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    ^ Yeah, that dance sounds vaguely familiar, both of you.

I used to have a Lyman "rocketship" hand chamfer tool, and I seem to recall now a trio of rocketship, pocket reamer, and a nail with the end turned down to back out primers went they are taking too much force but they have already gotten started.

New tool is really great for batch processing. I predict this might become a thing. I'm not sure why it isn't, already. Slight tweak to the CAD files for regular decapping pins.

Edit: yeah, the nail decapping pin is still in my kit. But that must be for when I was still trying to use a hand primer. Priming on the press, now, I seem to recall just swapping out to sizing/decapping die to back out straggler/tweeners. I'm glad I stopped after just a few instances of "well I guess I just crush it all the way in, now."
    Last edited by gloob; 12-30-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Swaging is done in a press. It uses a pin to move the displaced brass of the crimp back out of the pocket. Sounds to me like you are trying to cut the crimps out with a countersink. Most of us just spin a deburring tool in a drill motor and touch the pockets to it, holding the cases in our fingers. If you have arthritis or some such affliction, spark plug boot pliers are your friend. There are many styles and angles for the ends. One example:

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-11054-Sp...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Dillon super swedge

Boolit Master
    I just chuck my cases nose first in my handheld electric drill, hold the lyman primer pocket tool against the base and turn the drill a little. very quick and easy and the drill chuck does not hurt the cases.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    my method is a little unorthodox I guess. I have an old RCBS multi function powdered case prep center. one of the spinning tips is an inside chamfer bit. I just push the primer pocket against it till the crimp is gone. never had a problem with 556 or 308

Boolit Master
    The case prep stations with a primer pocket reamer installed certainly do quick work on a pocket crimp if you have enough “traction” to hold the case from spinning.

I like the Wilson case trimmer lathe better because (with either the factory clamp if you have that model or in my instance I made my own clapping fixture) the case is secured. Also, alinement is pretty good.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

2nd on the Dillon Super Swage. It removes no brass. It swages the crimp it out and into the primer pocket. Depth is adjustable. You can do a case in a couple of seconds with no sore fingers. Of the "crimp tool removers" I own and have used for the last 55 years, the Dillon is the best hands down.

Boolit Master
    drill press with 1 or 2 sizes larger than the hole drill bit
    come down on the case hand held on a block of wood
    only drill 1/4 of the way into case just cutting out the crimp
    a plus to this is a nice radius around the hole so easier to align the new primer
    i then prime them at the same time so you can adjust if needed

use a #1 drill for large primer
    #9 small
    Last edited by turtlezx; 12-31-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hicks, this works for my drill, too. The heck? I spent an hour and a half of grinding and measuring and testing and tweaking, and you can just stick the bare cases in a drill!

Boolit Master
    I have been using the same a RCBS swage tool for around 40 years and it still works great.

Boolit Master
    Since around 2010, I've had to use a "Primer pocket uniforming tool" to ream out the radius left in the bottom of factory brass. After measuring, they're using under-spec length primers so it all slushes out.

My guess is that it strengthens the case heads, but more than that, it forces us to modify the cases to reload them, thus giving them something tangible they can discover when a lawsuit shows up on their door.

Boolit Master
    I have several hundreds of LC brass, so this will eventually get a workout.

Already made it, so might as well use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast