RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arasaka 6.5mm project gun

I tried to convert .220 Swift brass to 6.5x50 and it didn’t go well. At the time I had a 22-250 reamer handy, so I hand turned it to open up the chamber. I then fired some old .250 Savage rounds in it and it worked but the fired brass had a small mark from where the reamer stopped cutting.
    After that, it would group about 4-5” inches with the Remington two diameter 140 gr bullets- so I lost interest and rebarreled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Great information Larry. If I had known all this I would have kept the gun. As further progress looked expensive I gave it to a neighbor.

Boolit Master

This leads me to believe that I can run in my 260 Remington reamer using hands, no lathe and accomplish what I meant to do YEARS ago. Eccentric chamber seems to be the going theme for these rifles.

Back in the 60s I had a rifle and carbine, both rechambered to 6.5X257 ( as was the thing to do in the day) and they did well with limited testing. One of my ex's relatives relieved me of the carbine while is was visiting the jungle.

They were both 1.5 " guns in the rechambered configuration with 129 grain Hornady SP in the rifle and RN in the carbine. Still have the RN including a partial box of .263 bullets.

The ones (carbines in full military dress) I have shot since seem to do OK with .266 140 grain Lyman boolit

I did handle one carbine at a Nashville show that I would love to see the going price today

Walnut stock, yes walnut, but proper 2 piece.
    Perfect outside finish and shiny . . . SHINY bore.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-08-2023 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added comment
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Mold
    Well, it's in the shop now and I asked for a 6.5x55 Sweed barrel with 1/8 ROT. Keeping the already sporterized stock with all of its dings and such as they are not extensive and I like wood stocks with personality. Lyman peep sight will stay and a ramped and hooded front sight will be provided. Reblued, naturally. Oh, military trigger will remain because I am okay with how this one operates.
    I am impressed with the overall simplicity of this rifle and I only had to consult YouTube University twice to figure out how to disassemble and reassemble the bolt.

Boolit Master
    Bolt design is simplicity itself ,but I dont like the huge klunky safety.....OK it works and locks the bolt as it should.

Boolit Mold
    Yep, that safety is a challenge. But it didn't take me long to get used to it and since I am not going to have a scope mounted on the gun it should be okay. I had gotten to the point where I could work the safety with the thumb of my right hand and not the heal of the hand.

Timney used to make a Japanese rifle trigger for the 99 and probably the 38 with a right side thumb slide safety. They discontinued that triggr, but on occasion you see them offered for sale as new / old stock. Worth watching for if you need one.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I have several of the Timney triggers with the side safety for my Mosin Nagants.
    They are very good.
    So if you can find one for the Arisaka that would be very nice.
    Not only for the adjustable trigger pull , but the safety is so much easier to use , especially if you have a scope

Boolit Grand Master

Modern primers, especially if the case is properly headspaced, do not need to be wacked as hard as older milsurp primers. I removed a bit of the striker spring which made the operation of the safety really easy with the thumb. Goes on and off safe slicker than scum on a Louisiana swamp..... Couldn't be any quicker or simpler with a side safety. Primer ignition is unaffected.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

This thread is making me want to go buy my Arisaka custom 16.5” barrel 8mm (AKA “Bob”) back from my neighbor…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I once put a HUBER trigger in a 6.5 Arisaka. The military trigger was ridiculous, whether from age, corrosion, or whatever. Just unusable. I rolled the dice and put the roller trigger in and it became quite serviceable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12