Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with Diabetic Neurapathy?

Struggling with Diabetic Neurapathy?

A Whole-Foods, Plant-Based Shopping List

Fruits: Berries, citrus fruits, pears, peaches, pineapple, bananas, etc.
    Vegetables: Kale, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, peppers, etc.
    Starchy vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc.
    Whole grains: Brown rice, rolled oats, farro, quinoa, brown rice pasta, barley, etc.
    Healthy fats: Avocados, olive oil, unsweetened coconut, etc.
    Legumes: Peas, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, black beans, etc.
    Seeds, nuts and nut butters: Almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, natural peanut butter, tahini, etc.
    Unsweetened plant-based milks: Coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, etc.
    Spices, herbs and seasonings: Basil, rosemary, turmeric, curry, black pepper, salt, etc.
    Condiments: Salsa, mustard, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, etc.
    Plant-based protein: Tofu, tempeh, plant-based protein sources or powders with no added sugar or artificial ingredients.
    Beverages: Coffee, tea, sparkling water, etc.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...e#foods-to-eat

My wife has been struggling mightily with pain in her thigh's for the last year. Had her hobbling around like a 80 year old women.
    We stumbled upon this page doing some research on Whole Food Plant based diets.
    Started her on it for supper. 2 days later the pain is gone. She's standing straight again and walking.
    But, stick to the list.

Day 3 she decided to try a bowl of shredded wheat for breakfast. 5 hours later the pain is back.

Today was day 5 and crackers, etc. And some 4 hours later the pain is back. My wife just cleared out her snack stash and dumped them in my lap.

Tomorrow although it is not on the list we will try a little piece of chicken breast cooked in the air fryer.

Read the web page, link is above. Its worth a shot if it helps even one other person.

Thanks for taking the time to read, God Bless you.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    There was a recherché article on netflix, on there being able to eliminate all most all diabetic drawbacks with just food, and exercise, sorry I don't remember the name of the program? They went with all natural foods, corn and grain (wheat) were two, I remember as being main culprit's to eliminate. I used their recommendation's and dropped my insulation needs from 150 units a day to 35 units a day and still working on getting rid of the rest ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Praying for your wife.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

A LOT of the issues stem from modern wheat, specifically a protein called gliadin which is not in the same proportion as it formerly was. The breakdown of it helps digest gluten... change what our bodies are designed to eat and bad things happen!

Boolit Master
    I don't wanna go all "Jack LaLaine" here, but it has been demonstrated, repeatedly, that exercise (as vigorous as is appropriate or can be tolerated) makes the body secrete Human Growth Hormone (HGH), which is PIVOTAL in the body's ability to effect its own repairs. Clonidine, a drug used for hypertension, sleep latency, and (oddly) A.D.D., seems to elicit the release of HGH, even when used chronically.
    Taking clonidine WILL NOT REPLACE EXERCISE, however, so consult with physicians on both points. Clonidine AND exercise, a priori, would likely be the BEST approach.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Look into what an animal based diet is doing for many in the same situation.

Boolit Master
    The “modern normal American “diet is killing us all. Cut the carbs and sugar, eat nothing out of a box or ready to eat and portion control.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    The “modern normal American “diet is killing us all. Cut the carbs and sugar, eat nothing out of a box or ready to eat and portion control.
    They don't refer to it as the S.A.D. diet for nothing!

Look seriously at cutting out all seed oils!

Check out a Dr. Ken Berry on youtube. This has helped me tremendously. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Check out a Dr. Ken Berry on youtube. This has helped me tremendously. Good luck.
    That makes two of us! And watch Nina Teicholz presentations on vegetable oil and the history of the food pyramid and the AHA! Good places to start!

I got Neurapathy ,but it is from when I broke my hip and then needed a hip replacement and the Doc told me it is like Diabetic Neurapathy. The VA got me on a med , otherwise they told me to stay active, that I do anyways . I know about the pain ,it is also in my right arm the Neurapathy from when I broke my elbow when I was in the navy. I learn to live with it the best I can do and just keep using it and do the best one can . Just hang in there .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    I have had Diabetes for about 10 yrs. It was diagnosed after I complained about what turned out to be neurapathy. I have been studying about ways to deal with diabetes. At one time with diet and supplements (but mostly prayer), I went from A1c of 9.8 to 5.7 in three months. It doesn't cure neurapathy but if you don't get blood glucose under control the very bad stuff will begin to happen.
    The things that I did to get my A1c down so dramatically was 1: NEVER EAT any baked stuff with bleached flour. I first quit carbs. Then I just cut down on bad carbs. Then I came to realize that I could have whole wheat in moderation. But even now if I eat a piece of white bread, pain, discomfort...more pain...more discomfort.
    There are other dietary things that help. I make sure I eat a lettuce salad EVERY day sometimes more. I usually put some shredded carrot and cucumber in there also, with ranch dressing.
    2: Supplements. One of the best supplements to take is R-ALA (R-alpha lipoic acid). Make sure it is 100% "R" alpha lipoic acid.
    Another thing that helps a lot is a GOOD probiotic. I had constipation for 10 years to the point of taking 2 different laxatives every day. When I started probiotic and salad every day, the constipation stopped on the first day and it hasn't come back since (about 2.5 yrs)

Boolit Master

After a year of intermittent fasting and keeping a max carb intake of 50 grm per day, my AIC went from over 7 to 5.5. I also lost 30 pounds. I am continuing to go low carb and starting a rigorous daily exercise program (rigorous for 76 years old). The quack told me that if I test 5.5 in 6 months, he will take me off metformin.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    This. I lost 50 by cutting / watching carbs and was able to go off all Dr. prescribed drugs. Much happier.

FYI Cindy continues to follow the diet. And continues to lose weight. We are hoping that in about 6 months she can get off metformin.

The diabetic neuropathy is better, but can still be triggered by overworking. Too many trips in one day down to do laundry will have her hurting by late afternoon.

But overall it is much better.

She started this diet at around 211 lbs and is down to 191 as of this week.

One day this week she woke up starving, wanted bacon and eggs. So I said lets find out. Well by the time she had it cooked it no longer smelled good. She had a half slice of bacon and only ate half the eggs. And 2 hours later the pain started. Bacon and Eggs are OFF the menu.

This week she started adding some protein powder to her fruit smoothies and that seems to be helping with the hunger issues.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I was diagnosed Type II diabetic 15 years ago. Eliminating sugar, cutting back carbs to less than 80 per day AND working out in the weight room brought my BG levels back to normal. A1C below 5.0 in many cases. As long as I stay disciplined about it, I can maintain that quite well.

But it didn't do anything for the DPN pain in my feet. The only thing that helped with that was 300mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid every day. I took it for about six months and was good to go. Alpha Lipoic Acid is the only fat-soluble anti-oxidant out there and it helps the body repair the coating around the nerve fibers in your extremities. It's a bit pricey but I don't have to take it for a lifetime.

Diet is critical. Watch the glycemic index of foods along with carb content and definitely get high quality carbs, not so much of the easy carbs.

My heart is with you both. It's not an easy thing and it's a lifetime of self restraint.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    ???? is it the Bacon or

is it the eggs ? or what you cooked the eggs in

or what you had to drink with the bacon & eggs

it might be only some things that act as a trigger

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    FYI Cindy continues to follow the diet. And continues to lose weight. We are hoping that in about 6 months she can get off metformin.

The diabetic neuropathy is better, but can still be triggered by overworking. Too many trips in one day down to do laundry will have her hurting by late afternoon.

One day this week she woke up starving, wanted bacon and eggs. So I said lets find out. Well by the time she had it cooked it no longer smelled good. She had a half slice of bacon and only ate half the eggs. And 2 hours later the pain started. Bacon and Eggs are OFF the menu.

This week she started adding some protein powder to her fruit smoothies and that seems to be helping with the hunger issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I suggest you look into a Ketogenic diet. It has helped a lot of people with diabetes. There are plenty of recipes for interesting dishes. My wife and I have been doing keto for three years and our sugar levels are now in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

I'll play internet dietician for a moment... I wonder if she was short on grams of fat. A serving of pecans helps me when I get that way.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

We are looking at the Keto diet and adjusting a bit. Takes a bit of time to do trial and error. We like to have a day in between for things to return to normal.

Wife went shopping alone today, bought a bag of chocolate chips as she was craving it. Opened it the car. by the time she had driven the 4 blocks to home her knees and legs were screaming. I think it was a good lesson for her.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

praise glorious!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast